The history of Yangon

 

 Yangon had been a small Mon village by the name of Dagon until the middle of the 18th century . Dagon had never been the center of a realm of any significant extent. Nevertheless, even in the earliest times of Burmese history the place was of considerable importance, because Dagon was home to the Shwedagon Pagoda, which has not only for centuries, but for millennia, been an important religious location.

In 1755 Dagon was conquered by King Alaungpaya, who renamed the town to Yangon, which translates "The End of Stirfe". In 1824, during the first Anglo-Myanmar war, Yangon was shortly occupied by the British, but was cleared again soon after. In 1841, the town burned down to the fundaments of the city walls, but was on orders of King Thar-ra-waddy rebuilt anew.
In 1852, during the second Anglo-Myanmar war, the small town of Yangon was again conquered by the British, who this time did not withdraw, but on the contrary turned the town into the administrative center of southern Myanmar, which at that time was under their control.

 
 
They also renamed Yangon to Rangoon. In 1855, after the British had won the third Anglo-Myanmar war and had conquered northern Myanmar, Yangon became the capital of the Myanmar part of the crown colony India, to which it had initially been added. The British rebuilt the town completely anew and used a square pattern for their city planning, which until today makes the orientation in the center of town comparatively easy.