Yangon Photos GalleryThe Yangon Photo Gallery
As a remote traveler' s paradise with disintegrating colorful houses, unaffected by contemporary commerce, I saw the passage of the ages and also the fast changes. It is easy to find a few-coloured houses along the peaceful city centre. Many of the building crumbled as anticipated. There are other solid colorful houses near the town hall. The Sule Pagoda is a 2000 year old sanctuary that stands in the roundabout today.
Corridors are dominant in the streets and have nothing to do with church services, while small sections between these corridors provide access to the area. It is the most popular of the temples in the town. In spite of the fast changes there are still some historical relicts that are still in operation and many interesting domesticlines.
Yangon, Photogallery Pictures from Myanmar former Burma
Yangon is the biggest and most important centre of Burma with over four million inhabitants. Also known as Rangoon, Yangon is the former Burma capitol and does not care if the Burmese army has moved the administration centre to Naypyidaw, 322 km northern of Yangon, since March 2006.
A US State Department estimates the Yangon people at 5.5 million in 2010, although the infrastructure in Yangon is really untapped in comparison to other similar Asian citys. Housing and business premises have been built or refurbished in Yangon town centre, but most of the satellites surrounding the town remain depressed.
Today, Yangon has six new footbridges and five new motorways connecting the city centre to its hub of industry, but Yangon lacks essential 24/7 power supply, waste disposal, paving and street-washing. It is a mixture of the two words "Yan" and "Koun", which mean "enemies" and "leakage" respectively and which have the meanings "leakage of the enemy" or "end of the quarrel".
It is believed that the town ( "Dagon" originally) was established by the Mon inhabitants in 1028-1043. Actually it was a small fishermen settlement that revolved around the Shwedagon Pagoda. 1755 King Alaungpaya Dagon took over and re-named the town Yangon. Yangon was invaded by the British during the First Anglo-Burmese War (1824-26). In 1852, during the Second Anglo-Burmese War, they invaded the south of Burma and turned Yangon into the country's most important economic and civic centre.
This new town was conceived by a military technician (Lt. Alexander Fraser) on a map encircled by Pazundaung Creek to the eastern side and the Yangon River to the southern and western sides. After the Third Anglo-Burmese War (1885), when the Brits invaded the entire area, Yangon became the actual Burma's main town.
In the 1890s, Yangon's growing populace and trade created wealthy northern neighborhoods. At the beginning of the twentieth century, Yangon had shared government service and infrastructures with London. During the Second World War, Yangon was under Japan's occupying forces (1942-45) and suffered severe damage. It was reconquered by the Allies in May 1945 and became the Union of Burma's capitol on January 4, 1948, when the nation gained regain sovereignty from the British Empire.
1989 the army jungle was renamed "Rangon" to "Yangon". While Ne Win's isolatedist regime (1962-88) and the present army regime, the Yangon facilities worsened because no service was carried out. Today Yangon has the biggest number of rural houses in Southeast Asia. Most of them were torn down to make room for a hotel, offices and commercial centres.
Fortunately, about 200 important Yangon Heritage List sites are now on the Yangon Heritage List. Prior to World War II, about 55% of the Yangonese ('500,000 people' at the time) were Indians working for the British, and only about a third were'Bamar' Burmese. The Yangon has become much more tribal in its ethnical composition, as not only Bambar, but also many Rakhine and Karen live in the town.
The town began to expand rapidly from the end of the 1980' to the northern part, where Yangon International is now. This results in an expanding tale on the town, with the town centre away from its geographical centre. There are no scratches on Yangon. Yangon's highest edifice is a 25-story condominium in the northern part of the town.
Yangon's trademark is the 8-storey apartments without lifts. Municipal regulations require that all structures higher than 8 floors be equipped with lifts. Condoms that have to be invested in a locally powered alternator to provide 24-hour electrical current to the lifts are unavailable to most individuals. An urban ordinance trying to resolve the messy transport problem bans the use of motorbikes and horns.
Shwedagon is by far the most important tourist destination in Yangon and something truly original in the game. This 99-metre high Great Golden Floating Tower is located on Singuttara Hill, which dominates the town' s urban sprawl, just east of Lake Kandawgyi. The Shwedagon is the oldest historic Buddha in Burma and the rest of the word, according to the historic records is over 2500 years old and is the holiest Buddhist Buddha for the Burmese with relicts of the last four Buddha.
Shwedagon' s historic recording begins with two merchants, Taphussa and Bhallika, from the country of Ramanya in Burma, who meet Lord Gautama Buddha and receive eight of the Buddha's hair to be anchored in Burma. With the help of the Burmese monarch, Okkalapa, King of Burma, the two Brotherhood found the Singuttara Hill, where relicts of other Buddhas were kept off Gautama Buddha.
At the beginning of the sixteenth and eighteenth centuries, the Basilica became Burma's most popular place of worship. As Myanmar Buddhists enter the pit, they know in their heart that they are following the precious way of the best of mankind such as gentleness, kind goodness and sympathy.
On their way up the stairs of the parade, the visitor purchases cathedrals, coloured banners and boa. From the smallest coins in the carton to the precious gems hanging on top of the cloakroom. There are no charges in the pilgrimage, the pilot can donate whatever he wants.
During the First Anglo-Burmese War, the British immediately confiscated, squatted and used the Shwedagon Pagoda as a fortification. In 1855, the British-India Office in London halted the defilement and sent an indemnity to the British Commissioner of Burma, who began the renovation of the pagoda with official assistance and sponsors.
For 77 years after the Second Anglo-Burmese War, the Refugee State remained under strategic command, but the humans gained entry to the sanctuary. The" shoes question" on the podium has always been a delicate topic for the Myanmar tribe since the Colonies. Not until 1919 did the UK authority enact a decree banning shoes in the districts of the marshes, with the single exemption that public service workers were employed by the state.
It and its exemption stirred up the public and started the Nationalists. Today no shoes or stockings are permitted on the cloakroom. In 1974, 1988 and 2007 Yangon was the centre of great protest against the state. Because of its perpetual importance, many protest ers and strikers begin to protest against regulations and regimes in the Shwedagon area.
More than 20,000 priests and Nuns walked the Shwedagon Pagoda on 24 September 2007 during nation-wide protests against the army régime and its recent decision to raise prices. Monday, September 25, 2007, the Myanmar Burmese dictatorship, which invaded the Yangon roads, was met by friars and activists. Protestant friars were refused entry to the Shwedagon Pagoda for several weeks before the administration eventually gave in and let them in.