Where is Yangon LocatedWhat is Yangon?
Yangon's story is connected with the story of the Shwedagon Pagoda. In Yangon, in the bustling city centre, in the new cities of the Orient, in the western industry area, in the rice paddies of the Nothern, you will see the gold shape of the Shwedagon on the skin that towers above the leaves of rainforest and the top of the skyscrapers.
Shwedagon' s foundation dates back to the Age of Enlightenment when Gaudama Buddha found the cause of universe sufferings and the path to their eradication. This was on the fourth Sunday after the Enlightenment, when two of Taphussa and Bhallika, Ukkalapa traders from the Mon country in Lower Myanmar, came before Buddha.
Buddha realized that the three former Buddhas had anchored their property in a couch on Singuttara Mountain in the land of the two brethren and asked them to do the same with the Holy Hairs. Returning home, the brethren landed at Piago Point on the southwest shore of Myanmar.
You sent a message to Reigning Ukkalapa about her coming with the holy hair. In Asitanzana, northwest of today's Yangon, the royal greeted the hair with a great asitanzana. He and the brethren were looking for a man who could tell them the whereabouts of the Singuttara Hill. Nobody knew the place, but Sakka, the Nats' kingdom, led them to the hill.
As the Sakka brethren asked Sakka where the hair should be shrunk, Sakka could not tell them where the former reliquaries were kept because they were so old and he was not so old. Sule Nat, however, knew where Kakusandha Buddha's rod was anchored, Yawhani Nat knew where Konagamana Buddha's dippers were anchored.
Two Sri Lankan friars, Sona and Uttara, took King Asoka to the cloakroom. He had the rainforest evacuated and the coupe mended. During the fifth A. Duttabaung worshiped the cemetery. King Anawratha of Bagan provided golden and silvery parasols in the eleventh centuary and constructed a coupe near the city of Twante over the Yangon River.
Dalla, today a city on the shore opposite Yangon, was then on Twante Ridge and was more important than Dagon. The Sule Pagoda, now in the centre of Yangon, was standing on a small islet in the marsh, in the western part up to the Hlaing River and Yangon /River in the souther.
Shwedagon ( "Kyak Lagun" in Mon at that time) was accessed via a dam. A Bagan era vouvant in Tadagale just north of Yangon shows that the Lateris, at the end of which Shwedagon was located, was a site of action in the Bagan era and the crest could have created a street south to the Shwedagon Pagoda and the Dagon village behind it.
It was previously said that Dagon contained 32 practice buildings Binnya U (1348-83), Mon König of Bago built a 18 m high pit (60'). The Binnya U's boy, Binnya Nwe, later Rajadarit, who had a chronicles of his own, ran away to Dagon when he ran away with his half-sister Talamidaw.
The successive Mon king of the fifteenth centuary increased the level of the marble by enclosing the former marble and beautifying the new one. In 1426-46, King Binnyayan (1426-46) cut off the mound and increased the size of the basis to five patios to maintain the heigth. This work was carried on by his follower Binnyawaru (1446-50), supported by his dam, queen Shin Saw Bu, the only ruling Queen of Myanmar.
They' increased the pagoda to 90. The first to gold plated the pagoda was Queen Shin Saw Bu. It devoted a large area of Gelbe countries covering practically all of contemporary Yangon. Their follower King Dhammazedi produced the engravings on the pagoda hill. And he also gave a giant bells that a Portuguese explorer took with him, but dropped into the stream and was not cured.
Tabinshwehti, who had captured Bago, laid a jewel on the pagoda in 1539. "In 1572 Bayinnaung converted the pagoda to 360' and had it reconstructed. It was accompanied by a large navy of 300 gold paddlewheels and 1000 warboats that flooded the Bago River as far as the eyes could see.
Gasparo Balbi came in 1583 "to the fair towns of Dagon, it is at last set, and directed southwest, and where they arrive twenty long footsteps, the affair of them is powerful and large chunks of wood - after we arrived, we began to walk on the right, a large road is about fifty places wide, in which we saw wood buildings gold-plated, and decorated with tender yards, according to their customs, where in Talapoins, who live their Firers.
" At the end of the sixteenth and beginning of the sixteenth centuries, the Shwedagon Fair attracted not only Myanmar, but also far-away countries such as Laos and Cambodia. Also the Bago River sands off Thanlyin, and seagoing ships find it hard to find their way around the city.
When the Shwedagon Pagoda was founded. Alaungpaya' s capture of lower Myanmar is the second most important incident in the story of Dagon. In May 1775 marked the beginning of the city, when Alaungpaya, to remember his triumph, change his name from Dagon to Yangon, "Enmity Exhausted". "Alaungpaya' s Yangon was essentially a wooden fort, with the southern façade of the stream, the site of today's No. 30 Road to the east, a line of about 3300' that crossed Maha Bandola Garden, Pansodan and Bo Aung Gyaw Road to the south and Bo Aung Gyaw Road to the northeast.
Sule Pagoda to the eastern side of the city. Palisades were constructed of massive poles of wood from hardwood, which rose on averages up to a maximum of twelve ft in altitude, but in some places up to twenty ft. It was sheltered by a moat and stood not directly on the banks of the stream, but twenty or thirty metres away at the next point.
It had three east-west roads and two north-south roads. One of the east-west roads counted from the riverside was the Strand Road, also known as Kaladan, the road of aliens, because most of the aliens were living there, and above it the contemporary Merchant St., also known as "Pegu Palace" for the English, because the Myowun residency was there.
Today's Seikkantha Street was the major street to the south-north. Sule Pagoda was standing on a small tip of a lantern which was separated from the city by a marsh. In 1782 it was said that the roads were not cobbled, but until 1795 they were well cobbled, and because cycling was not permitted within the city, the pavement stayed in a bearable condition.
There were three shipyards outside the city, the most important of which was the King's Wharf, which made it possible to ship loading/unloading without the use of sampan. High up on the river, beyond the city boundaries, was China Wharf, where China traders did biz. According to Symes, the number of inhabitants in Yangon was now around 30,000.
Yangon's export includes lake, ising glass, plant oils, ivories, terracotta, paraffin and renowned trek. The use of trekking was particularly appreciated because a trekking boat would last four boats made of oaks the wealth of trekking made shipbuilding cheaper and the 20-foot tides in the Yangon River made dock space superfluous for boats.
Myanmar's cabinetmakers were good craftsmen and worked diligently. East India Company sent a troop of nearly eleven thousand men and forty guns. By May 10, 1824, the navy was in the river and anchoring in the cafe. Deployed in the city and on two streets that led to the pagoda, the invasion troops arrived on the twelfth day of the outbreak.
The great Myanmar general Maha Bandoola reached Yangon in November. It undertook several experiments to drive away the invasion troops deployed on the pagoda, but was disappointed by the cannons of the hostile flot. The Myanmar military was expelled from its Kokine fortress on the fifteenth.
Myanmar's military retired to Danubyu, where an hostile grenade was killing Maha Bandoola. The Yangon was occupied until December 8. General Campbell gave Yangon back to Myowun. Severe harm was done by the forces that plundered the raids on the Shwedagon Deck and around the city. Only one firm based on the pagoda received a large number of paintings in cash in one evening, and they were given to an official who was selling them for a big price in Calcutta.
Seriously, General Cambell had a hole drilled in the Shwedagon's intestine in the hopes of discovering a gadget-- Singgu Min's large bells were confiscated, but when they tried to move them to India, the bells fell to the bottom of the river. Later it was brought back by the Myanmar citizens by fixing it to a boat at low flood, when the flood came, the boat raised the bells.
King Thayawady ruled that King Alaungpaya's city was too fragile to be attacked from the stream, and that a new city should be constructed further afield, about a mile and quarter from the same. The city was to be surrounded by a mudwall 16 ft high and eight wide, with a moat next to it.
This pagoda was incorporated into the defence of the city, which was about three quarter of a mill. So the Shwedagon was the northeast edge of the city. It was bordered to the eastern part of the city along Shwedagon Pagoda Rd. It was a little bit southward of the street where the National Health Laboratory is located today.
Westward route was approximately along Myoma Kyaung Land, while the northern wall led over Pyay and People' s Park. Aung Myei Aung Hnin, "Siegesboden, Siegreicher Auswerfer", was the name of the city. The Endawya Pagoda in Myoma Kyaung land stays from the stay of Ling Thayawady. Although King Thayawady's city was inhabited, ancient Yangon remained overpopulated.
King Alaungpayas Yangon was still the commercial city. At the end, King Alaungpaya's city only lasted for ten years, because the 1852 conflict led to the annexation of Sub-Myanmar by the English and the planning of a new Yangon. On April 1, 1852, at the estuary of the Yangon River, a 6,000-man troop of Britain with 35 guns, accompanied by 15 bombardments.
Mullions and the stacks that guard the river were invaded and captured on the fifth. The boats traversed the cafe on September 11 and took their positions opposite the old city. Meanwhile, a certain Mr.C.M.Crisp, a Yangon-based alien who had previously sent information about the defense of Yangon, had said to Capital Latter that it would be better to focus the assault on the east entry of the pagoda, which was very underdefended.
One department crashed the eastern doorway and won the pagoda deck. The Myanmar Armed Services have had to retreat outside the city' s south and west doors. On December 20, 1852, the Britons proclamated the lower Myanmar. The 21 st day the declaration was recited in Yangon. Dr. William Momtgomery, who had come as Superintendent Surgeon with UK armies, suggested a city with a chequered street design built on a street along the beach.
The three types of streets were included in the draft. Streets that ran from south to east were 160 foot high. The southern streets were two small 30 foot streets, a medium-sized 50 foot street, two additional 35 foot streets and a 100 foot street.
That order was reiterated from western to eastern. Smaller boulevards were named, while the middle and large boulevards were named, some for important personalities of the age. There was Lanmadaw Rd 100 foot across, followed by the seventeenth and eighteenth avenues, which were small avenues, then the middle 58 foot Sint-O-Dan Rd, followed by the smaller nineteenth and twentieth avenues, followed by the 100 foot Latter Rd, followed by the two small unnumbered 21st and 22nd avenues.
Streets that ran parallel to the south were Strand and Merchant Rd, Dalhousie Rd (Maha Bandoola), Fraser Rd (Anawrahta) and Montgomery/ Commissioner Rd (Bogyoke Aung San), then a middle 50 foot broad street known as Bank Rd. Yangon, which had become a showcase town in Southeast Asia, sustained great losses during the Second World War.
It' s structures, streets and sewerage system have been wiped out. As a result, there was a huge flow of fugitives into the cities where there was not enough living space. They just sat where they wanted. Cabins and stores hindered road and sidewalk transport. In 1856 the number of inhabitants was 46,000; in 1860 it increased to 60,000; to welcome the inhabitants, the old village was expanded to include three 100-foot streets, three 50-foot streets and twenty-two 30-foot streets to the east.
Its eastward extent was through three 50-foot streets and twenty-two 30-foot streets. Three 30-foot long streets were extended eastwards. Kyimyindaing, Ahlone, Pazundaung, Yegyaw, Myaynigone, Kamayut were integrated into the city and Voyle Rd (U Wisara Rd) was added as another northern street to the Prome Rd (Pyay Lan).
Meanwhile, policemen and troops killed in the fighting were interred in the northeast edge of Shwedagon Pagoda. In 1869 the president U Pya and the oldest monks in charge of the pagoda found the 100-year-old King Hsinbyushin teae, who crowed and began to fragmen.
With no new tea for the occupying sub-Myanmar itself, the UK government obtained authorisation to call on King Mindon to give his consent. As the tea was about to be crowned, the Brits began to have serious doubt about the Myanmar King's policy implications, who embellished the Shwedagon because the action could mean the King's domination of the area.
British Chief Commissioner of British Burma and not the King of Myanmar. Mindon consented. This pagoda was to be entered by the British-Burmese and not by the Myanmarese. Mindon consented. Sent to Yangon, the ship was taken off the ship on 24 October 1871.
On November 26, the shovel over the tea was positioned and the ritual ended without the British fears, although crowds were pouring into Yangon from all over the state. "This city has never been calmer in terms of crimes than during this great flow of people," the main commission commented.
Initially, they hesitated to move, but when they lived in their own homes in neat neighborhoods with running waters and power, good streets and healthcare and educational institutions, they realized how well they had grown up from their former shabby environments.