What Time is it now in MyanmarNow what time is it in Myanmar?
Yangon then and now: From outposts of colony to contemporary metropolises - in images | Towns
The proceeds were shared between the UK municipality and the Indian Emperor's goverment to which they referred. As a rule, the distribution was by sectors; gains from strategically important core sectors were managed from a central location, less important ones by the municipalities. The general bookkeeper was responsible for ensuring that the proceeds were properly recovered and sent to UK India and that the regulations on how the rest was distributed were followed.
The general bookkeeper was an enormously important part of the great red tape of the Spanish government - with an appropriately decorated bureaucrat. Today it is home to the Yangon Divisonal Courts. Nominated after the main commissar of Burma, Fytche Square was a last-minute complement to Yangon's desig. After being recovered from the previous marsh, the land was abandoned and converted into a municipal garden around 1868.
In the southeastern part of the reserve there was an unsightly reservoir that kept the natural marshlands. The area was re-named Bandula Square in 1935 and is now called Maha Bandula Parc after it was rebuilt in 2012. The picture shows the view to the southwards along the Sule Pododa Road, to the podium and to the firehouse.
Nowadays it belongs to the Shangri La Sule Spa Park. By the time Alaungpaya won Yangon of the Mon in 1755, he had taken a small but strategically fortified city on an islet stretching from today's 30-th to Thein Phyu Road. In the northwest, the Sule Pagoda was sitting on a small rock spur that was connected to the continent and was accessed from the city via a pedestrian bridge.
It is now the formative heart of Yangon's city centre and was a meeting place for the 1988 and 2007 riots. Originally Churchill Road was called after Lord Randolph Churchill, UK policy-maker and Winston's sire. During his brief term as India Permanent Clerk, Churchill led the definitive incursion of the Burmese people.
In the aftermath of the war, Churchill Road became Komin Kochin Road - meaning "our kind, our king".