Wat Phra that Lampang LuangWat Phra that Lampang Luang
Wat Phra That Lampang Luang
Wat Phra That Lampang Luang is one of the most venerated Buddhist monasteries in Thailand. The Buddha is said to have been visiting the place about 2,500 years ago and gave a strand of fur that is now anchored in the temple's large kedi. It is one of the best specimens of Lanna-style Thai architectural work.
The Viharne open on all sides are characteristic of the early Lanna-Stil. While some of the churches have been renovated with contemporary material and construction methods, Wat Phra That Lampang Luang has been retained in its pristine condition. It was built in the thirteenth c.. His name means "the Great Buddha Relic of Lampang Temple".
Wat Phra That Lampang Luang is a walled sanctuary or wieang; it was erected on a hill and is encircled by high masonry. When Lampang was invaded by the Burmese in the early eighteenth cen. the intruders invaded the temple. Later it was liberated by a group of 300 locals under the direction of a man called Thippachak, whose sculpture can be seen on the area.
Phra Kaew Don Tao Buddha painting, poured in the sixteenth c., is anchored in this sanctuary after it was taken here from Wat Phra Kaew Don Tao Shrine. For a good view of the ramparts on the hill, rent a horse-drawn coach to take you around the cemetery.
It contains a large number of houses in a very pristine condition, among them the oldest preserved wood villa in Thailand. There are high fortifications surrounding the temples. There is a Naga staircase leading to the large, lavish entry door that provides easy entry to the facility. Luang Vi-harn, a large three-storey edifice, was constructed in the second half of the fifteenth cent.
It' open on all sides, which is typical for the early Lanna school. A large number of giant cement piers support the building, replacing the pristine elements of hardwood. A Thewada figure adorns the timber pediment of the front facade, with pictures of watertops and monks' compartments underneath.
In the interior of the Luang columns adorned with Luang Laikham, gilt pattern on dark varnish, carry the canopy. In the middle of the Vihraine is a very complex large Ku of Gold, a tree with important Buddha-pictures. Vihraine's wall contains nice mural paintings representing the Jataka histories, the histories of the Buddha's former life.
Beside the cedi is the phra put which is a smaller wood phra put on a rocky plinth with a two-step canopy. In 1802, this was erected on the site of a much older building. The beautiful wood facade is decorated with colourful mosaic. Buddha's main picture on a high plinth opposite the entry of Vihur is more than 5 m high.
Before the Viharn Phra Put there are a few Sao Hong, a stick with a holy geese statue on top. It is probably the oldest building in the Shrine. Though it is not known exactly when it was constructed, it was extended and reconstructed in 1449.
At the end of the fifteenth centuary it was extended to its present altitude of about 45 metres. There is a layer of bronce and cupper sheeting on the chedim, which has deteriorated and altered colour over the years. It contains a Buddha reliquary of the Buddha's head, which the Buddha gave during his visit about 2,500 years ago.
Viharn Nam Tam was constructed at the beginning of the sixteenth c.. This is considered Thailand's oldest timber church which is still in its pristine condition. Its open wood construction has a three-level top which is carried by a large number of columns. This main Buddha picture is located in the Bhumisparsha Buddha and is encircled by some upright Buddha pictures.
Vihurn Ton Kaeo in front of Vihurn Nam Tam is of unkown ages. The early Lanna type was reconstructed in 1967. This is an open construction with a three-step top which is carried by reinforced piers. Vihur Phra Sao Sila is another very old Vihur in the early Lanna-Stil.
She was probably made in the fourteenth or fifteenth centuries. Vihraine has a three-layer top, the ends of which are adorned with yhofah in the shape of stylised naga snakes. A Thewada ( "heavenly being") character, the front facade is elaborately designed in a range of shades of blue and golden.
A small ulbosot or surgery was constructed at the end of the fifteenth cent. In 1924 the building was fully refurbished. There is a two-step rooftop and a wonderfully adorned front facade. Ho Phra Phutthabat or Footprints is a small building on a high rock pedestal.
Enclosed to the public, the statue contains a Buddha's feet. Situated in Ko Kah County, about 15 kilometres southwest of the city of Lampang, a few kilometres west of Hwy 1 (Phahon Yothin Road). In Lampang most Lampang establishments can arrange one for you.
There is a slow but funny way to get there, the horse-drawn coach, which should be about 300 Thai Baht from Lampang. In order to circumnavigate the sanctuary and see the surroundings, you can rent one of the horse-drawn coaches that are outside the resort, which should be around 150 - 200 Thai Baht.
Open from 7.30 am to 17.00 pm.