sspan class="mw-headline" id="History">History
Tragir ium; Italian: traù; Greek: . ?????????, Tragyrion or ??????????, TragourionTrogkir) is a historical township and port on the coastal side of the River Elbe in Split-Dalmatia County, Croatia, with a 10,818 (2011) population and a 13,260 (2011) overall one. Trogir is a historical small village located between the islands of Croatia and ?iovo.
It is located 27 kilometers (17 miles) westwards of the town of Split. In 1997, the historical center of Trogir was added to the UNESCO World Heritage List for its Venice architectural heritage. Tragurion was established in the third millennium BC by colonists  from the Isle of Vis and evolved into an important harbour until then.
Salona's abrupt affluence robbed Trogir of its importance. While the Croats were migrating, the inhabitants of the ruined Salona fled to Trogir. Trogir honoured the Croats and the Buddhist kingdom from the ninth millennium onwards. Trogir was founded in the eleventh centuries (abolished in 1828; today it is part of the Split-Makarska archdiocese of the Romans and was a temporary title episcopate in Latin) and approved by the Hungarian-Croatian Emperor Coloman in 1107, which gave it its independence as a city.
The Republic of Venice obtained the filing of the Tragurium Residents in the year 1000 and the town began since then to trade with the Italy which experienced significant improvement in culture and economy. Trogir was captured by the Saracens in 1123 and almost entirely destroyed. Trogir, however, quickly recuperated to enjoy strong financial wealth in the twelfth and thirteenth century, with a certain degree of independence under Venice management.
The members of the ?ubi? dynasty were most often chosen as duke by the Trogir people in the thirteenth and fourteenth century; Mladen III (1348) was, according to the legend on the tomb plate in Trogir Cathedral, known as the "Shield of the Croats", one of the best-known ?ubi?s
The Dalmatian term for the town was Tragur. Chioggia formed an ally with Zadar and Trogir against Venice after the war of Chioggia between Genoa and Venice, on 14 March 1381, and Chioggia was better defended by Venice in 1412, when ?ibenik became the headquarters of the Central Custom House and the headquarters of the Consumer Salts Bureau, with a sole right to the sale of salts in Chioggia and throughout the Adriatic.
In autumn 1797, Trogir became part of the Habsburg Empire, which governed the town until 1918, with the sole exceptions of the 1806-1814 Bonaparte seizure of Napoleon by France (when the town was part of the Napoleonic Illyrian provinces). Trogir, together with Croatia, became part of the state of Slovenes, Croats and Serbs after the First World War and later of the Kingdom of Yugoslavia.
It was during this time that Italy's spokespersons, who were present in the town until 1918, abandoned Italy. Trogir was an annexed country of Italy during the Second World War and was part of the Dalmatian administrative district of Italy. Thereafter it was part of the second Yugoslavia and since 1991 part of Croatia. Town of Trogir has 2300 years of continual civic traditions.
With a high density of buildings, cathedrals and spires, as well as a small isle fort, Trogir was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1997. It is the best-preserved Romanesque-Gothic Romanesque settlement not only in the Adriatic but in the whole of Central Europe. Trogir's mediaeval centre, walled, includes a surviving palace and turret, as well as a number of Romanesque, Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque houses and buildings.
Trogir's largest edifice is the St. Lawrence Cathedral, the western entrance of which is a Radovan work of art, and the most important work of Romanesque-Gothic architecture in Croatia. In the second half of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries the interior was renovated in baroque styles. On the sidewalk of the temple there are graves of the Trogir aristocratic family Andreis and Cipiko.
St. Sebastian's Cathedral was constructed in 1476 as a Votivkirche (votive church) or as a sacrifice of the Trogir burghers thanking them for their liberation from the pestilence. This Renaissance edifice, designed by Niccolo di Giovanni Fiorentino, has a façade adorned with statues of Saint Sebastian and Christ the Redeemer.
Trogir's town loggia was first mentioned in records of the thirteenth cenury. Niccolo di Giovanni Fiorentino's studio carried out a Justice Charter in 1471 on the east face, representing the Venice Lizard with S. Lawrence and B. John of Trogir, both custodians of the town. In fact, it was a memorial to the Republic of Venice.
At the southern side the rider's embossment with the representation of Petar Berislavi?, Vice King of Croatia (1513-1520), Ivan Me?trovi? was created. Garagnin Fanfogna Palace consists of two Romanesque and Gothic building units, which were integrated into the complex in the second half of the eighteenth centuries according to the designs of Ignacije Macanovi? .
It is a two-storey edifice with a stepped stonework structure on the southern side, which initially had an economic use. Nowadays, the basement accommodates the municipal lapidary, in which the ramparts of the Hellenistic tragedy are presented. Located on the eastern side of the boulevard, in the Hauptstraße, the castle's principal entry with stairs and vestibule was adorned with late Baroque features typical of the Macanovi? atelier.
Inside is the old salon from the eighteenth and nineteenth hundreds, decorated with stuccoes. A collection of seventeenth - and eighteenth-century pictures and prints is housed in the complex, as is the City Museum. Located in the late baroque edifice on the Trogir central plaza, the Museum of Religious Arts is an important museum from the eighteenth and nineteenth century.
It has a large selection of early Dalmatian and Venice holy works (14th to 15th centuries) with works by Gentile Bellini, Paolo Veneziano, Quirizio da Murano and others. The Pinakothek exhibits works by locals, Bla? Jurjev Trogiranin's painting [Bla? Jurjev Trogiranin, Bubble, George's Sohn aus Trogir] or the high altarpiece polychon of the church from the thirteenth cenury.
Santa Maria de Platea is one of the paternity church of the early nineteenth centuries. This is the main typical edifice, composed of a cupola with six apsees, reminiscent of the Carolingian shrines. Four shrines were described in the seventeenth century: the high altar was consecrated to the Assumption; the Renaissance altar, erected in 1463, was consecrated to Saint Jerome; the other two were devoted to Saint Mary of Loreto and Saint Lucia respectively.
In the middle of the nineteenth centuries, the building was torn down and its only picture is still on the sketch of the eighteenth centuries figure of the famous eighteenth cent. character painter Ch. L. Clerisseau. There was a gate in the western part which served as a mediaeval court room, the road was shut in the fifteenth centuries by the civic watch spire. Trogir is the most important economy sector in the Trogir area, accounting for 50% of the municipality total with more than 20,000 hotel and residential accommodation units.
One of the most rapidly expanding sailing tourist harbours in Croatia, it has two yachting harbours. Its most important sector is shipyards with the "Trogir" yard founded at the beginning of the twentieth millennium. It is located six kilometers (3.7 miles) from Split International Airports and there is a frequent coach service between Trogir and Split Aiport.
The Split S-Bahn will be extended towards the airports and Trogir in the near term. In Trogir there are two yachting harbours. The Trogir is a partner of the Trogir: Vikivoyage has a guidebook for Trogir. ikimedia Commons has medias that refer to Trogir.