sspan class="mw-headline" id="History">History
Turrevieja is a coastal town and community on the Costa Blanca in the state of Alicante, on the southeast coastline of the Spanish Midwest. In Torrevieja, about 50 km from Alicante, there are 105,000 inhabitants (2012). The town of Torrevieja was initially a small fisherman's and marine town, as it is situated between the ocean and two large saline seas (Las Salinas) that give Torrevieja a wholesome micro-climate.
Torrevieja until 1802 consisted only of an old watchtower, which gave the city its name (Torre Vieja (Spanish means old tower)) and some worker houses. In 1803, however, Charles IV authorized the relocation of the La Mata oil works to the city itself and permitted the building of apartments there.
Alfonso XIII granted the Torrevieja Municipality the title of Municipality in 1931 with a scholarship. Much of the time in the nineteenth centuries saw salts transported out of the towns by ship, mainly from Sweden and the Netherlands. At the beginning of the twentieth millennium, a fourth of the salts extracted in the Torrevieja basin were actually marketed in Spain, the remainder being export to overseas auctions.
Today it is still an important sector in Torrevieja and an important employers. It is possible to see the Museum of Sea and Salt. These include a large contingency of Britons, Irishmen, Germans and Scandinavians, many of whom spend the whole year living there, as well as Spaniards who have a second home in the town.
Until 2004 Torrevieja had the highest number of UK inhabitants of any municipality in Spain (around 7,180), and the high number of UK expats has resulted in Torrevieja being referred to by some tourists as "costa del Yorkshire", often surprisingly many Britons preferring to import inexpensive bulk sandwiches from England such as warburtons and hovis.
In 2001, the municipality, together with the Random House, Plaza & Janés Spain affiliate, was awarded the second most important prize for literature in Spain, the Premio de Novela Ciudad de Torrevieja, and its poetic counterpart, the Premio de Poesía Ciudad de Torrevieja. INE (Spanish Population Census) of 2005 showed that the town had 84,838 inhabitants and the Ayuntament (district area) 95,531 inhabitants.
Until January 2008 there were 103,154, of which only 47,870 were Valencians or Spaniards. More than 7,000 of the inhabitants of Spain came from Madrid and not for nothing is Torrevieja known as "la playa de Madrid" (The Beach of Madrid). It is a quasi-strong, thriving market with the Partido Popular retaining the overwhelming vote in the 2007 and 2011 local election.
Arciprestal Iglesia de la Inmaculada Concepción (The Parish Church of the Archpriest of the Immaculate Conception) - built in 1789 and rebuilt in 1844 from stone extracted from the ancient Torre Vella. Scenic view of La Torre del Moro, old watch tower. The Iglesia de Nuestra Señora del Rosario (La Mata), built in 1896.
From 1777 to 1958, Eras de la Sal served as a warehouse and quay for salts. Salinas - The two saline lakes in the western part of the town, natural park of the La Mata and Torrevieja lakes. Commons Wikimedia has related to Torrevieja related news medium.