Thunder BayThe Thunder Bay
sspan class="mw-headline" id="History">History
In Thunder Bay is a town and the headquarters of Thunder Bay District, Ontario, Canada. This is the most densely populated community in northwestern Ontario with 107,909 inhabitants (as of Canada 2016) and the second largest in northern Ontario after the Sudbury area. Situated on Lake Superior, Thunder Bay has 121,621 inhabitants and comprises the town of Thunder Bay, the communities of Oliver Paipoonge and Neebing, the communities of Shuniah, Conmee, O'Connor and Gillies, and the Fort William First Nation.
It developed into an important transport junction whose harbour is an important connection for the transport of cereals and other goods from West Canada via the Great Lakes and the Saint Lawrence Sea Route to the Eastern seaboard. The Thunder Bay is the location of the Thunder Bay Regional Health Research Institute.
Thunder Bay's continental settlements began with two Flemish furs trade post (1683, 1717), which were later given up (see William fort, Ontario). 1803 founded the North West Company with seat in Montreal Fort William as middle continental entity. It prospered until 1821, when the North West Company and the Hudson's Bay Company fused, and William was no longer needed.
During 1859-60, the Department of Crown Lands investigated two townships (Neebing and Paipoonge) and the Town Plot of Fort William for European-Canadian population. By the 1880s, Port Arthur was a much bigger and more vibrant city. CPR, in cooperation with the Hudson's Bay Company, favored Eastern Fort William, situated on the lower Kaministiquia River, where the furs trading stations were sited.
Triggered by an ongoing fiscal battle with Port Arthur and the confiscation of a steam engine in 1889, HLW moved all its personnel and equipment to Fort William. After 1890, the breakdown of iron and steel production destroyed the Port Arthur town. There was an economical meltdown while Fort William flourished.
Thunder Bay began a phase of exceptional expansion in the Sir Wilfried Laurier epoch, driven by increased market entry via the trans-continental railways and the evolution of the West's grain economy. Canadian Northern has set up a facility in Port Arthur. In 1905 the Grand Trunk Pacific started building its installations in the Fort William Mission, and the German government began building the National Trans-Continental Bridge.
Until 1914, the partner towns had advanced infrastructure (sewerage, secure drinking systems, road lights, electrical lights, etc.) and both Fort William and Port Arthur were in favour of communal property. Port Arthur already in 1892 constructed the first communal electrical tram in Canada. CNR shut down many of Canada's northern runway installations in Port Arthur.
Since the 1870s, the engineered wood industries have been playing an important part in the Thunder Bay business. 1917 The first cellulose and papermaking plant was founded in Port Arthur. In 1920 a mill followed in Fort William. The choice of a name for the merged town was more controversial than whether it should merge.
From the Trans-Canada to the opening of Hwy 17 (the link between Sault Ste Marie and Thunder Bay in 1960), the development of motorways has significantly reduced rail and waterway activities since the seventies and eighties. The Thunder Bay has developed into a service center for the northwest of Ontario, where most province authorities are located.
It was the same business people and specialists who assisted in attracting the campus and colleges that were the mainspring behind the 1970 Fort William and Port Arthur merger. It has an area of 328 sqm. Fifty-eight sq km, including the former towns of Fort William and Port Arthur and the [former]ownships of Neebing and McIntyre.
It is a reflection of the settlements of the 19th centuries and stretches out. The Fort William town plot, measured in 1859-60 and anchored at the western end of the village, was called Western Fort William (or Westfort) by the CPR in 1888. Bordering the lower Kaministiquia River, the countryside became the living and commercial quarter of the Fort William area.
Fort William was divided from the Port Arthur neighborhood by a large unpopulated area on the Neebing and McIntyre River, known as Intercity. In 1892, at the far eastern end of the municipality, part of the municipality of McIntyre was incorporated into the municipality of Port Arthur, and formed the area that later became known as Current River.
Former Port Arthur section is more characteristic of the Canadian Shield, with gentle rolling slopes and very thin ground, which lies on the subsoil with many naked rockjumps. The name Thunder Bay, which gives the town its name, is about 22 years old. Five kilometers (14.0 miles) from Port Arthur inner town to Thunder Cape at the top of the dormant giant.
Former Fort William section occupied shallow wasteland along the Kaministiquia River. From 1970, the main commercial areas of Fort William and Port Arthur experienced a severe downturn. It is a quite sandy town, with an annual mean of 2121 hrs of daylight, varying from 268 hrs. From 1 hour in July to 86. 2 hour in November, brighter than any other Canadian town to the west.
Compared to this, Thunder Bay has a more continent-like atmosphere. Thunder Bay Harbour, seen from Hillcrest Park in June 2006. In Thunder Bay there are two formerly separated towns, Port Arthur and Fort William. Both Port Arthur and Fort William have their own commercial neighborhoods and suburbs.
A few of the best known neighborhoods are: the Bay and Algoma Area, which has a large Nordic resident base concentrated around the Finnish work temple and the Italian cultural center; Simpson-Ogden and the East End, two of the oldest neighborhoods in Fort William just south of Downtown Fort William; Intercity, a large commercial neighborhood between Fort William and Port Arthur; Current River, the most northerly neighborhood of Port Arthur; and Westfort, the oldest estate in Thunder Bay.
Inside the town boundaries are some small country villages, such as Vickers Heights and North McIntyre, situated in the former Neebing and McIntyreownships. In the Canadian Parliament, Thunder Bay is replaced by Don Rusnak and Patty Hajdu, both members of the Liberal Party of Canada, and in the Ontario Legislature by Michael Gravelle of the Ontario Liberal Party and Judith Monteith-Farrell of the Ontario New Democratic Party.
On the Sibley Penninsula in Superior Lakes, a large mesa formations resembling a lying colossus has become a symbolic figure of the town. Some of the Sibley area surrounds the water of Thunder Bay and looks out over the sea from the north of the town ( formerly Port Arthur).
There is also the giant sleeper on the emblem and ensign of the town. Thunder Bay's emblem, which includes characteristics from the Port Arthur and Fort William emblems. In Thunder Bay there are four twin towns on three continents, which are chosen according to economical, social, cultural as well as economical aspects.
In Thunder Bay, Bombardier Transports has a 51,400 m2 factory that produces local transport buses and devices and employs around 800 staff. Because of its excellent position along the main transport channels, Thunder Bay welcomes aviation, railway and sea transport. Grayhound Canada offers buses to local and domestic locations, with the municipal Thunder BayTransit offering 17 tours through the city's metropolitan area.
Thunder Bay International serves the town, Ontario's 4th largest air traffic hub. Road 11/17 is the major expressway through the town, a four-lane motorway known as the Thunder Bay Expressway. Dock Thunder Bay has been a harbour since the North West Company day, which operated a protector at Lake Superior.
Thunder Bay is the biggest outgoing harbour of the St. Lawrence Seaway System and the 6th biggest harbour in Canada. 44 ] The Thunder Bay Transport Authority administers the Keefer Terminal, which was erected on a 320,000 m² site at Lake Superior. The Thunder Bay has a large clinic, the Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Centre.
Northern Ontario School of Medicine has a faculty at Lakehead University. There are also a number of smaller hospitals and dentists in the town. During the 2011-2016 census, the Thunder Bay populace fell by 0.1%, down from a 4.6% rise for Ontario and the 5th in 2016.
Thunder Bay's demographic concentration was 328 inhabitants on number. Six persons per sq km, versus an Ontario averaging 14.8. Zero percent of the inhabitants of Thunder Bay were Christians: One of Thunder Bay's major attractions is Fort William Historical Park, a replica of the Fort William coat trading mail of the North West Company from 1815, which draws 100,000 annual tourists.
55 ] The yachting harbour in the centre of Port Arthur, an area known as The Heart of the Harbour, attracts attention because of its scenic views of the dormant giant and the availability of various boats. A 2,74 metre high Terry Fox sculpture is located at the Terry Fox Memorial and Lookout on the edge of town near the place where he was compelled to give up his run.
The Thunder Bay has 38 primary and 3 junior high schools, 8 junior high and 2 junior high and 1 junior high institution. It also has several other privately owned, for-profit universities and tutor programs. Thunder Bay's higher educational establishments are Confederation College and Lakehead University. Lakehead District Board is the city's biggest educational authority with 22 primary and 4 junior high schools and a center for adults.
Thunder Bay Catholic District Board is the second biggest with 16 primary and 3 secondary and 2 high school. The Conseil Scolaire de Districttes Catholic des Aurores Boreales runs a primary and a high schools in Thunder Bay and a further six in the entire Thunder Bay area.
Thunder Bay was named "Cultural Capital of Canada" in 2003. 57 ] Throughout the town there are culture centers that represent the various groups of the people, such as the Finnish Work Temple, the Scandinavian House, the Italian Culture Center, the Polish Legion, and many others. It is a mixture of a deer and a douche, which is kept to commemorate the betrothal of a couple and Persians, a pair of rose -glazed rolls of red wine and red wine.
59 ] Thunder Bay is serviced by the Thunder Bay Public Library, which has four offices. Northwestern Ontario Women's Creative Workshop (NOWW), established in 1997, is the biggest of several groups of writer's workers in Thunder Bay. It has a mandate to "promote and foster the literary and literary evolution of Northwestern Ontario.
Thunder Bay Art Gallery, established in 1976, specialises in works by First Nations performers with a nationally significant art collections. Established in 1908, the Thunder Bay Historical Museum Society presents locally and internationally exhibited works and its archive contains an amazing array of artefacts, photos, paintings, documentation and cards.
City of Thunder Bay also hosts the Northwestern Ontario Sports Hall of Fame and the Thunder Bay Military Museum (housed in the O'Kelley Armoury on Park Street). There are many churches in Thunder Bay that are backed by different religious beliefs and reflect the rich culture of the area.
Pentecost church in the current river basin of the town, today known as Refreshing Waters Community Church. The new church and hall of St. Agnes, established in 1885, was consecrated on 6 June 1982. Situated in the John Jumbo area of Port Arthur. With Thunder Bay close to the Boreal Forest wildlife and the gentle slopes and peaks of the Canadian Shield, its inhabitants have a very energetic lifestyle.
Several major sports happenings have taken place in the town, such as the 1981 Canada Summer Games, the 1995 World Ski Championships, the 2003 Continental Cup and the 2010 and 2017 Junior Baseball World Championships. At Thunder Bay there are many leisure amenities. There are fifteen neighborhood centers in the town, offering various sports and exercise venues as well as offering various seasonals, such as dancing.
There are also six Indoor Skating Platforms and 84 seasonally designed Outdoors Skating Platforms, two in-door communities and three seasonally designed out-doors pools, as well as a mobile swimming facility and two well-kept open air sandy areas, several curricling lanes and three playing fields, among others. In Thunder Bay is also the National Development Centre - Thunder Bay, an élite cross-country skiing club that draws many of Canada's best junior and U-23 riders.
Thunder Bay is supplied with free of charge digitally over-the-air TV by three English-speaking channels. The Global and CTV network programme is provided by a local twin-stick company, Thunder Bay TV, and the municipality is receiving the TV Ontario on Kanal 9. Shaw is the Thunder Bay operator; although local ownership of TBayTel exists, the licence to operate in the cable-TV sector has been issued by the Canadian Radiocommunications and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC).
The WBKP TV Kanal 5, the CW subsidiary in Calumet, Michigan, can be viewed in Thunder Bay with an external rooftop aerial and a TV or receivers with integrated digitisation capability. In Thunder Bay there are 12 radios, all broadcasting in FM bands. There' four commercially available radios in town - Rock 94 and 91.
ckpR5, held by Dougall Media, the mother of Thunder Bay Television and Thunder Bay's Source, and Magic 99. 9 and Country 105, held by Acadia Broadcasting. Another stop, Energy 103/104, aims at the Thunder Bay channel markets in Kaministiquia and Shuniah. Downtown gets CBC Radios One as CBQT-FM and CBC Radios 2 as CBQ-FM, at 88.
The Thunder Bay Information Radio CKSI-FM is broadcasted around the clock at 90. Port of Thunder Bay. "On Monday at the municipal session Norm Gale was named Urban Manager", TB News Watch (11 January 2016). Returned on January 10, 2016. Thunder Bay Town Hall, Thunder Bay City Council. Returned on June 2, 2007. Returned on June 2, 2007.
Thunder Bay, Ontario (code 3558004) Cadensus profile". Bounced 2013-04-25. i ^ a w "Thunder Bay (Metropolitan Region Census) (code 595) Zensusprofil". Bounced 2013-04-25. i ^ a w "Thunder Bay (population centre) (code 0935) Zensusprofil". Bounced 2013-04-25. Thunder Bay port, the transport sector. Town of Thunder Bay.
Brought back on November 30, 2007. A Thunder Bay, Ontario: Returned on April 12, 2012. Short story of Thunder Bay, City of Thunder Bay. Returned on June 5, 2007. FBC Scollie, "Falling into Line : How Prince Arthur's Landing Became Port Arthur", Thunder Bay Historical Museum Society Papers and Records, XIII (1985) 8-19.
About Thunder Bay, p. 2. Returned on September 2, 2007. Archives from the Genuine (PDF) on 4 March 2016. Returned on May 5, 2013. Thunder Bay A. Returned on September 29, 2013. Thunder Bay Airport Hourly data report for January 10, 1982. Archives from the orginal on 6 June 2014.
Returned on June 3, 2014. Returned on June 3, 2014. Returned on April 15, 2016. Returned on April 15, 2016. Returned on November 22, 2014. June 1995. Returned on April 15, 2016. Returned on April 15, 2016. Returned on April 15, 2016. September 2005. Returned on April 15, 2016. Returned on April 15, 2016. Port Arthur. Returned on April 15, 2016.
Thunder Bay breaks record colds. Returned on November 22, 2014. Statistics Canada montre que la ville a l'un des taux de criminalité les plus élevés au Canada ". Thunder Bay symbols. Returned on June 4, 2007. List of the most important employers - Thunder Bay, 2006 45kb. Returned on September 2, 2007. Thunder Bay Top private sector employer, Northern Ontario Business (May 2006).
Brought back on September 4, 2007. 56-year cargo statistics, Port of Thunder Bay. Brought back on December 20, 2009. Returned on September 2, 2007. Returned on September 2, 2007. Port of Thunder Bay, offical website. Returned on September 2, 2007. ^ The Peoples of Thunder Bay archived on February 27, 2008 at the Wayback Machine.... Brought back on September 1, 2007.
Hello, Thunder Bay: The Thunder Bay Historical Museum Society, p. 59. Pflanzung der kommunalen Eigentumsidee in Port Arthur, 1875-1914. Census Metropolitan Area, 2016 Census. Returned on March 24, 2016. City of Thunder Bay, 2016 Community Name. Returned on March 24, 2017.
Thunder Bay CMA. Returned on March 24, 2018. Ontario Amethyst: The Mining Ontario's Amethyst Archive from August 8, 2007 at the Wayback Machine. Ministry of Northern Development and Mining of Ontario. Brought back on August 4, 2007. Returned on June 4, 2007. Seven Thunder Bay Archived July 6, 2011 at the Wayback Machine.
The Thunder Bay Source. Returned on June 11, 2007. Thunder Bay Food. Returned on June 11, 2007. The Universal Cynic (June 26, 2006) Encyclopedia by Yore. Returned on June 11, 2007. Thunder Bay Symphony Orchestra. Returned on September 2, 2007. New Music North archives on March 3, 2016 at the Wayback Engine....
Returned on August 2, 2008. Returned on September 2, 2007. Returned on September 2, 2007. Returned on September 24, 2018. Returned on September 24, 2018. Thunder Bay Telephone (2007) TBayTel 2007-2008 Directory, pages 56 to 58. Thunder Bay Gulf and Golflink - Thunder Bay Archived on September 27, 2007 at the Wayback Machine.... Returned on September 2, 2007.
Netnewsledger, June 1, 2007. Returned on June 8, 2007. Your town, Thunder Bay. Returned on September 2, 2007.