Thailand Border Control

Border control in Thailand

Information on visas and border crossings for Thailand Would you like to know about Thailand's passports and border crossing points? Thailand has a variety of different types of student entry forms and conditions, many of which are changing at an alarmingly high rate. Continue reading to get an idea of the possibilities of entry to Thailand. When you enter Thailand for tourist purposes and have a valid travel document from one of the 57 different country (s) below, you are entitled to a free visa-free holiday in Thailand!

While the only condition is a valid 6-month or longer pass, the length of your permitted residence varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, so continue reading to see exactly what you are entitled to. Nationals of these counties receive a free 30-day residence without a valid visas if they enter Thailand by plane or country: Nationals of these counties receive a free 90-day residence without a visitor's permit if they travel by plane or land:

Cambodian citizens receive a free 14-day visa-free travel if they arrive by plane or country. Burmese citizens also receive a free 14-day residence, but only if they arrive by plane. Over the last few years, the Thai government has taken action against each other in order to overcome the border and try to return to Thailand on the same date in order to obtain a new visa-free regime.

At the Mae Sai border with Burma, this practise was completely forbidden, and we would not suggest trying it more than once in a year. At the end of 2016, the Thai government introduced a scheme prohibiting foreign nationals from entering Thailand by land and obtaining visa-free travel more than twice a year.

With strict adherence, this limitation will interfere with the schedules of some ordinary travelers who are now obliged to apply for a tourism visas or travel by plane if they enter Thailand for the third consecutive trip by land, regardless of the amount of overall travel they have.

For example, if you are an ordinary traveler who jumps from land to land and wants to stay less than 30 nights in Thailand after you arrive first by plane, then for a whole weekend to Laos, then for 10 nights back to Thailand, then for two consecutive nights to Cambodia and back to Thailand to take a home trip, you should have no problem using visas only to travel to Thailand.

We strongly recommend, however, that you apply for a tourism visas if you wish to come to Thailand for a third year. For example, if you are planning to spend more than 30 nights in Thailand and then go to another destination before you return to Thailand for another full year, you should obtain a tourism visas for your first journey in Thailand and then re-enter for a visa-free period.

Nationals of these 19 states are entitled to a minimum 15-day visas, which is different from the visa-free regime described above: You can apply for and receive this type of visas at all major airport and most border crossing points on the same date. Nationals of all non-nationals must apply for a Thai visas before leaving for Thailand.

When the above mentioned option will not work for you, you must apply for a Thai touristic visas. Conventional tourism visas are for 60 nights and can be renewed for another 30 nights if you are in the Dominican Republic, allowing you to remain for 90 more.

The cost is about 30 US$ and it is an entrance visum. It is effective from the date of arrival, so that the 60-day watch begins to tick on the date of your arrival in Thailand. If you do not arrive in Thailand within 90 working nights from the date of issuance, your passport will not be issued. Unique traveler' s permits can be obtained from practically any Thai diplomatic mission or any Thai diplomatic mission in the world; South East Asia only: included options:

Usually it will take two working day to obtain a tourism permit. There is currently no writing saying that you cannot use back-to-back travel passes. You could therefore get two successive tourism vouchers giving you a full six month stay in Thailand (with renewals and one-time departure to get a new visa).

However, the Thai government is becoming more and more disapproving of this and some long-term travellers have been punched with a "red stamp" in their passports, denying them another tourism permit for the year. End-2016 reporting also suggests that in an attempt to re-enter Thailand, an immigrant computer system is now "marking" foreign nationals who attempt to remain in Thailand for more than six month in a year by using tourism and/or visa-free travel.

An individual said that she was refused admission after she arrived at one of Bangkok airport even though she had a legal, non-used tourism permit (it was his third in a series plus extensions). To put it briefly, you are driving the system forward when you request a back-to-back tourism permit. You should try to stay at least one or two weeks in another jurisdiction before requesting a second or third consecutive tourism permit.

When you apply for a new touristic permit immediately after the last one expires, you may be asked to produce evidence of sufficient financial resources, a reservation in a room and/or evidence of your continued travel. From the end of 2015 the old Thai double- and tripleentry tourism vizas were superseded by a multiple-entry tourism permit, which will give you a six-month overall residence in Thailand.

However, you do not have to stay in the UK for more than 60 consecutive nights, with any number of re-entries during the six-month period. This means that you would have to make a full use of the six month assignment every 60 full working hours.

It' expires six month from the date of issuance, so the watch is running from the time of issuance of the visas, not on entry into Thailand. You can only obtain this type of visas from Thai diplomatic and embassy offices in your home state, i.e. if you cannot provide proof of your residence in Laos, you cannot submit an application for a METV in Vientiane.

Visa-free stay and touristic visa can be prolonged once at a foreigners authority in Thailand for another 30 nights. If you exceed your stay in Thailand, you will be fined 500 bahts per person and per night, which is 20,000 bahts. When you stay longer, you must foot the bill at the entry control when you leave Thailand.

Short overdraft times do not lead to a suspension of your trip to Thailand and are usually not a big thing when you arrive at a border checkpoint or airfield, provided you have the money to cover the penalty. A longer stay of more than a few month now leads to a long-term travelling prohibition to Thailand.

Free residence without a visas, the visas on entering the United States and the traditional tourism visas are all unique entries. As an example, your 60-day traveler's visas will become invalid even if you travel from Thailand after only five working nights. To keep an entrance visas in force on departure, the only option is to make a payment of 1,000 Bahts for a re-entry passport at an immigrant authority or the migration department of an Thai border control center before departure from Thailand.

Otherwise, you should opt for a METV or take advantage of more than a visa-free sojourn. If you are going to continue your journey without a visas or a conventional tourism visas, do you need to provide them? We have not yet heard of a Thai immigrant official asking for evidence of travelling on at an airfield or border checkpoint, but nothing is 100%.

However, there is a good possibility that your carrier will require you to provide evidence of your continued journey before you can take a trip to Thailand if you have a single ticket or if your homeward journey is longer than you are likely to be in Thailand.

If this is the case, many carriers require a long-term visas, evidence of a scheduled trip to another destination or something else, such as a flat-rate book. The statement that you plan to go to another countryside may or may not be sufficient. It is a large gray area where many travelers report conflicting experience that varies greatly between carriers, airfields and even single check-in people.

There is another little-known policy of Thailand immigrants: upon arriving in the U.S., they must provide evidence of sufficient financial resources in the amount of 20,000 Bahts (or the value in local currency) in bar. Travelers are also requested to note on the Arrivals Ticket where they will be in Thailand, which must be presented (and issued ) before they can travel to the state.

That' s pretty stupid, since most travelers don't remain in one place for their whole journey, and it's generally no big thing - we've been told that immigrants backpack tourists say they should "just take down the Khao San Road". A recent raid at border/outside crossings, several consecutive tourism visits and stays in Thailand means that you probably want to screen out a non-immigrant visitor permit.

In general, you must be supported by a Thai member of your host families, a business, school or other recognized organization and/or be able to provide sufficient financial resources to obtain a non-immigrant visas, which can often be renewed for one year or more. Every Thai Visas has its own specific needs - see the MFA links above and the extensive Thai Visas expats site for more information.

It is a good notion to imagine the Thailand visasystem like this: Entering Thailand is a privileged person, not a right. There are no two consular offices and diplomatic missions in Thailand that deal with the issue of visas in the same way as two migrants. For more information on border crossings in Thailand, please refer to the detailed FAQ threads on the message board, which contains traveler stories.

There are two kinds of border crossing points in Thailand - both national and national. You may assume that in principle foreigners with passports and visas (if necessary) may use border crossing, while those who are able to travel back and forth with a kind of border crossing card are only allowed to use them.

In this section, the only transitions dealt with are those from abroad. There are over twenty border crossing points in Thailand. This allows cross-country trips to Malaysia (seven crossings), Burma (four crossings), Laos (six crossings) and Cambodia (six crossings). Padang Besar and Sadao are the most frequented border crossing points from/to Malaysia.

Sailing to Burma (Myanmar): Mae Sai/Tachileik, Mae Sot/Myawaddy and Ranong/Kawthaung are favourite ferries. People of most of the West's nationality can travel to Malaysia without a visas, while Laos and Cambodia grant visas at most border crossing points. Several Burmese border crossing points allow travelers to travel across the border with a daily passport, which only gives them entry to a border trade, and then turn around and return to Thailand.

However, you must obtain a printed or electronic visas (e.g. in Bangkok) to continue your trip to Burma. For more information on entering Thailand from other contries, please refer to the "Thailand Visa" section above. The new Thai regulations stipulate that international travelers must not arrive in Thailand more than twice in a single year without a valid passport.

When you enter Thailand more than twice by land, you must obtain a current tourism permit before you can cross for the third year. If you are travelling to Thailand by plane, this does not work. The Chong Mek / Vang Tao is the most comfortable voyage for those who plan to visit Laos from Thailand.

There is a 1-1 from Thailand from Ubon Ratchathani to the border city of Chong Mek. Dumped in Chong Mek, it is a five minutes stroll through each intersection and regularly song taews run from Vang Tao to Pakse, which takes about an h. A visa is available on your check-in. When the Friendship Brigde II is built over the Mekong, all foreign nationals who want to travel at this intersection between Thailand and Laos must use the brigde.

From Thailand, a coach will take you from Mukdahan over the viaduct itself and on to the Savannakhet coach sta. A visa is available on your check-in. This old river cross is no longer open to visitors who now have to use the Friendship Bridges III with cosmopolitan busses that can be found at the Nakhon Phanom central train terminal and go as far as Tha Khaek.

Visas are available on your check-in. Come in the early hours to do the daily tour of Laos and shopping in Thailand to make sure the ship is full, otherwise it is 360 Ba. There is no visas when entering Laos from Thailand, so you should get a visas in advance if you want to use this arcane border checkpoint.

A Laos passport is available on arrivals at this crossroads, the most common way to enter Laos via the pristine Friendship Bridge. It is located about 20 km from Vientiane and only a few kilometres from the center of Nong Khai, but it is possible to get there regularly and affordably in both ways with public transportation and tuKuks.

Be wary of tuk-tuk riders on both sides who insist that your visas must be processed at a "visa office", which will no doubt be the offices of a normal tourist agency that fills out your request forms on your name and charges a commissions to the rider.

It is less comfortable to take the boat twice a weeks, both at the same hour of dail (18:00.... so, in the dark!) Sunday and Tuesday. Upon your arrivals, a Laos passport is not available. From now on this rather isolated passage runs every night with an internatinal coach from Loei to Luang Prabang.

At the end of 2014, officers at Loei coach station acknowledged that foreign nationals could use this facility and that Laos permits would be available upon arrivals. The Laos Visum on your way to Laos is available at this famous crossroads, which now uses the 4th Friendship Bridge instead of the old ferries. It is by far the most favourite and malfunctioning border checkpoint between Thailand and Cambodia.

Chambodian Visa on arrivals are available and eVisas are acceptable. According to the mood of the border guards, passage time can be more than three hour, but also compassionately speed. There is a big issue with the border with Poipet and be careful to disregard anyone who comes near you and tries to take you to an outside agency other than the government altogether.

Had Lek / Koh Kong is the most comfortable cruise for those planning to sail between the Thai Ko Chang and the beaches of Sihanoukville in Cambodia. In Cambodia, there are a number of records that government officers are particularly burdensome and demand ludicrous financial sums for a entry visas - the simplest way to get there is with an existing one.

Await about 100 Bahts for a motorcycle from Koh Kong City to the border - this should involve the bridging tolls. It is a cheap voyage to Surin in Thailand and Siem Reap in Cambodia. From Surin to the border (and back) there are mini buses on a frequent basis, and the journey takes a few hour.

For Anlong Veng this is a very cheap voyage, but little else. When you cross this border into Thailand, there is no means of transportation from the border to major cities in Thailand; you have to drive about 20 km from the border to an asphalted street, from which there are occasionally busses, although it is better to drive at least to Route 24, where there are very common busses.

A 30-minute motorcycle trip from Pailin and from the Thai side there are regular mini buses to Chanthaburi in about an hours. Chambodian Visa are available on your check-in. Near the Ban Pakard, Chantaburi / Phsa Prum, Pailin passage, this very little used border is about 45 mins from Pailin and on the Thai side there are sungtheaw service to Chanthaburi.

Ban Pakard / Phsa Prum is your better choice. At least six border checkpoints between Thailand and Malaysia are open to foreign nationals. In the border town of Ban Ta Ba, Sungai Kolok, Betong, Sadao, Pedang Besar, Wang Prajan and Langkawi. There are four most frequented cruises to Langkawi and Pedang Besar, Sadao and Sungai Kolok.

Sadao and Pedang Besar are open 24 hrs, the others only in natural light. Situated a few kilometers southwards of the Thai city Tak Bai in the extreme southern part of Narathiwat County. When you travel to the Perhentian Islands, this trip is nearer to Kota Bharu than Sungai Kolok.

It is a simple border checkpoint in the form of a "walk over the bridge" (although less so because of the conflict in the south of Thailand). Transportation is available from the Sungai Kolok side to all of Thailand, with the railway terminal only ten minutes walking distance from the border.

It is one of the most favoured passages for visas in the south of Thailand, but for the onward journey it is not a good option, as there are no transportation possibilities on the Malaysian side. It is easy to take a coach or songheaw from Sadao, in Thailand, to Hat Yai.

The ferry is open 24h. As Sadao, this passage is open 24 hrs and can be accessed from Hat Yai by mini bus. When you cross the railroad, you have to get off the ship to get through duty. Wang Prajan is a rather arcane crossroads near Thale Ban National Parks in Satun County - in fact, the entry to the Parks is within easy walk of the border.

From Satun to the border and on to Kuala Perlis there are regular mini buses. The passage means to take a ferry either from Thammalang Peer (six kilometres southwards of Satun) or from Ko Lipe and on to the Malaysia Isle of Langkawi or inverse. Now only Thai and Malaysian nationals can take the ferry route between Thammalung and Kuala Perlis in Malaysia.

Easy to reach by coach in both ways, this busy passage can be used for your journey to North Burma if you have a proper visas, or for fast border trips that use a daily passport and only allow entry to the Tachileik borderline. From Burma, it is a good option to arrive in Thailand if you are travelling to Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai or on to Laos.

Open to the public in 2013, this cruise has become a favourite choice linking central Burma with the lower north of Thailand. While you can cross the Moei River via the Thai-Burma Friendship Bridge and take advantage of easily accessible transportation on both sides, you must have a Burma visas in place before you travel in this direction.

Convenient for driving between Bangkok and Dawei on the Andaman Sea coastline in Burma, this little frequented intersection is 70 km western of Kanchanaburi and about the same extent eastern of Dawei, but due to the site it is much longer to get to Dawei. There are no e-visa or daily tickets available, so you will need a Burma virus in your travel document if you are from Thailand.

This border checkpoint is situated on Burma's most southern tip and the northern part of Thailand's Andaman Sea coastline and is convenient if you travel to/from the island in both countries. There is a long tail and, somewhat unusual, it is possible to travel to Burma with a two-week passport without a permit as long as you are within the borders of Kawthaung.

Mehr zum Thema