Tavira's origin dates back to the Bronze Age (1. 000-800 BC). It became one of the first Phoenician villages in the Iberian West in the eighth centuries B.C.. Tavira the Phoenician Tavira lived until the end of the sixth millennium B.C., when he was devastated by a war. Baal's initial name is believed to have been Saphon, a sapphire name after the Phenician thunder and sea deity.
That name later became Balsa. Following a centuries of abandonment, the village recuperated during its heyday, the so-called Tartess period, and became larger than ever. The second city centre, the Tartess Tavira, was also deserted at the end of the 4. cent. BC. The Romans built a new harbour, Balsa, about 7 km from Tavira, during the emperor's reign.
It became a big city, much larger than Tavira, which flourished and rotted alongside the Empire. By the time the Moors captured Iberia in the eighth century, Balsa was already a city. Tavira was under Ruman domination a side village on the important street between Balsa and Baesuris (today Castro Marim).
Tavira was occupied by the Moors between the eighth and the thirteenth century, a period that shaped the region's agricultural, architectural and cultural heritage. Tavira, with its white painted houses, doorways and roofs in Arabic design, still shows this impact today. The Tavira Castle, two museums and a palace were constructed by the Moors.
According to a current archeological investigation, the imposing seven-week "Roman Bridge" is no longer regarded as Latin today, but comes from a Moorish arch dating from the twelfth centuries. It was a good economic period for Tavira, which became an important harbour for seamen and fishers. It remained rustic until the eleventh centuries, when the Moorish Tavira (from the Arabic Tabira, "the hidden") began to expand quickly and became one of the most important (and independent) cities of the Algarve, then the southwestern extremity of Gharb al-Andalus (the west of the Muslim Ibérico territories).
Dom Paio Peres brought Correia Tavira back from the Moors in 1242 in a violent war of revenge, after seven of his main knights were slain during an armistice, the city' s inhabitants were depleted during this war. The Christians were now again under the rule of Tavira, and although most Muslims departed, some stayed in a Muslim neighborhood known as "Mouraria".
It was a very important harbour in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, transporting products such as salts, dry seafood and wines. There is a "Roman" (actually Moorish) viaduct connecting the two parts of the city across the Gilão stream. Santa Maria do Castelo Cathedral, on the site of a Moorish refuge, houses the graves of Dom Paio Peres Correia and his horsemen.
Built in the thirteenth centuries, the temple was rebuilt from the old Moslem miniature train. There is a statue of Dom Paio Perres Correia, who passed away in 1275. Tavira's total resident body is about 25,000 people ( Tavira municipality) who support a defence force, while the area is still rather remote and untapped.
This city' s sandy beaches pass by the saltpans and can be accessed by ferry, which brings you to the sandbank of Ilha de Tavira, part of Ria Formosa. Over the past few years, the architectural attractiveness of the city has been marked by a new "modernist" mall and many skyscrapers, but it still draws people.
Developments in many urban links have also had an impact. The Tavira train has its own train depot on the line from Vila Real de Santo António to Faro and Lagos. Mautautobahn A22 runs near the city. And Tavira is a partner of Tavira: Commons Wikimedia has created medias related to Tavira.