Taungngu Catholic Diocese
Taungngu Catholic Church (lat.: Diocesis Tunguensis) is a Latin rite of the Catholic Church in Taungoo, Myanmar. Built in 1870, the bishopric is one of the oldest in Burma. The Vicariat was initially founded as the Apostolic Vicariat of Eastern Burma. It was divided in 1927 and the Apostolic Prefecture of Kentung was founded.
In the end, the prefecture became the Kengtung bishopric. The old Vicariat was simultaneously re-named the Apostolic Vicariat of Toungoo. The Vicariate was raised to full diocesan status in 1955. It was in 1961 that the bishopric was divided again and the Taunggyi bishopric, the archdiocese of Taunggyi, was founded.
In 1996 the bishopric was eventually re-named the Taungngu bishopric. At present, the bishopric is the bishopric of the archdiocese of Taunggyi.
MRYANMAR Around 20,000 Catholics are gathering in Taungngu to celebrate 150 years of PIME in Myanmar (photos)
Highlight of the two-day celebrations was a celebratory jubilee mass. Evangelization work of the evangelists began in 1868 in the town LaikThoo. Its actions affected far-away and isolated ethnical groups in the east. With six bishoprics, PIME helped to found the church:
Taungngu, Kengtung, Lashio, Loikaw and Pekhon. Taungngu was the first bishopric established by missionary members of Protestant Churches to host the Jubilee on 7 and 8 April. The preparation of the meeting took much effort and work from all those bishoprics where the missionary was serving, as such opportunities are an important point of gathering and uniting the indigenous Catholics and promoting a powerful feeling of affiliation with the Roman Catholic fellowship.
The Institute's first misionaries ( Father Tancredi Conti, Sebastiano Carbone and Rocco Tornatore) came to Toungoo on the Sittang in 1867 under the direction of the Eugenio Biffi Catholic Counsel. Tungngu was the last town in the East under English domination. Across the riverbank was a large hilly and wooded area where tribal groups fought with each other under tribal leaders (Saophas).
On the occasion of the Institute's celebration of its first 150 years, Father Ferruccio Brambillasca, Superior General of the Institute, and Father Maurizio Arioldi, Delegate for Thailand and Myanmar, came to LaikThoo last Saturday (pictures). You were warmly welcomed by Mgr Isaac Danu, Taungngu Card of Bishops, and Card Charles Maung Bo, Yangon Card of Archbishops and First Myanmar Cardinal.
Tornatore and Vittorio Emanuele Sagrada, some of the early members of the missionary movement, were buried in the church. There was a Mass of Remembrance for all ministers, in which about 20,000 persons with 200 parishioners and many monks participated. There followed a dinner, a sign of a sense of community welcome, and a celebration conducted by young folk who performed the folk dance traditions of the different ethnical groups with which the missionsaries work.
Afternoons were spent with the Card Bo missionary group and the Episcopal Pontiffs in the consecration and consecration of a Diocesan memorial to the Institute's members (pictures). On the next morning, at 7.00 a.m., the jubilee mass took place, the highlight of the celebrations (pictures).
Throughout the Mass, the Church of Myanmar was also consecrated by four new bishop. "Father Paolo Noè, the last member of the mission, passed away in 2007. There is still great dedication to the Father and Missionsaries. "It was a decisive factor in the creation of the church.
Six bishoprics were established by missionary PIME: Tunggyi (archdiocese), Toungoo, Kengtung, Lashio, Loikaw and Pekhon. Some of the most crucial aspects of the Institute's past, such as the eviction of all consecrated foreigners who came to the Institute before it became independent in 1948 and the confiscation of ecclesiastical property, have marked its nation.
Twenty-nine of them decided to remain and stayed until their deaths, among them Father Clemente Vismara, who was blessed in 2011. Father Vergara was one of five commemorative massacres committed in Burma between 1950 and 1953. In 2014 he was blessed with Isidore Ngei Ko Lat, the first local church of Myanmar-martyred.