St Mary Church in Yangon

St. Mary's Church in Yangon

Dome of the Virgin Mary (Immaculate Conception). The most beautiful church in Myanmar. St. Mary's Cathedral in Yangon is certainly worth a visit, no matter what religion you follow. Its architecture is simply breathtaking, and it is well preserved.

It is also the largest cathedral in Myanmar.

{ {\a }Historie des Ursprungs und der Konstruktion< class="mw-editsection">[edit]>>

It is the biggest in Burma. On the premises of the church there is the Elementary School No. 6, which is known as Saint Paul's High School, although today it has no religion in the Catholic Church. St. Mary's Catholic Church sustained little harm during the 1930 Rangoon quake and survived the war.

Yangon Cathedral's glazed window, however, was destroyed during the Allies' Yangon outbreak. A while before his demise, Paul Bigandet MEP (1856-1894), Apostolic Vicar of Burma, began to plan a new and bigger church as the town' s Roman Catholic congregation grew. The decision was taken that the new building should take the shape of a large urban disaster centre of remarkable dimensions and the best possible architecture.

An appropriate plot of ground over fifteen mornings to the west of St. Paul's High School was found, and the bishop filed an appeal with the government of Burma asking for approval to dispose of the old church grounds as property so that the full amount could be used for the expenses of building the new one.

In his response, the bishop pointed out that his appeal to divest the grounds of the old church was founded on similar compromises made by the administration only a few years earlier to other religious groups. The decision as to whether the Roman Catholics should be dealt with on an even footing was a matter for the state.

Successor of Bishop Bigandet was Bishop Alexandre Cardot (1893-1925). An endowment certificate was autographed by the secretary of the tax office and Bishop Cardot. A cathedral based on the example of the Byzantines was planned under the direction of Mr. H. Hoyne-Fox, an advising Burma government architecto.

The plan envisaged the construction of a cupola over the crossing of the church aisle, chancel and transept. Since the first attempts to submerge the foundations led to the detection of a swampy and flexible substrate, it was agreed to use a set of eighteen foot long and three foot perimeter pyinkados as the base for the construction.

During these important changes, Bishop Cardot had to return to France on the strong counsel of his physicians. Therefore, the bishop was asked to look for an architectural practice in Europe. Cardot asked about his identification and found out that Father Janzen (30 September 1858 - 1 August 1911) had been sent home two years earlier because of his TB.

Janzen was a student of Dr. Pierre Cuypers at the École Polytechnique, a Netherlands based designer of many of the Netherlands' Roman Catholics and the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam. Fr. Janzen had worked with Dr. Cuyper's own Joseph Cuypers, an independent architecture professor, on the construction of the Amsterdam School.

Cardot defeated the superiors of the Paris Society for Foreign Missions so that Father Janzen could escort him back to Rangoon. Fr. Janzen went to his home country of the Netherlands to see his old schoolmate, Dr. Cuypers, Jr., who was preparing a new neo-Gothic French Catholic cathedral project.

Bishop Cardot and Father Janzen came to Rangoon in November 1898. In order to adjust the current foundations to the new plans, Father Janzen began to expand the first one. It was to be 30 ft longer and seat 1,500 more. Thus, the disaster was 291 ft (89 m) long and 101 ft (31 m) breathable.

A nine-foot deep sandy base was replaced by pycinkado poles, while another hundred were drifted down to reinforce and assist the area. Bishop Cardot ceremoniously consecrated and placed the foundation stone of the pure stone on November 19, 1899. Fr. Janzen found only brick and concrete, an armies of non-trained pens and a few China mailies.

Father Jansen's building was based on his tight and continuous monitoring, as well as on his endurance and endurance. Fr. Janzen cut the link between the tower and the remainder of the building from top to bottom so as not to destroy the principal one. Destruction progressed so much that Father Jazen gave up the concept of tower addition.

For more than a year, the demise ceased and Father Janzen began building the tower, 86 ft above the one. Janzen slid onto a board on August 11, 1907 and broke his femur in three places. Fr. Janzen came out of the clinic with a permanent cripple. Dr. Kelly, Archbishop of Sydney, had this to say in the Catholic press of Sydney of Sydney Catholic Church and Father Janzen:

"Rangoon Cathedral, which is now almost entirely outside, is a work of art by mastermind, with two towers sticking out of its façade, placing their towering crucifixes to attract the visitor's eye. Fr. Janzen is hiding in his one-bedroom on the groundfloor with the simplest equipment, which is limited to very limited resources and is rather insecure about the coming years.

But the cathedral works and continues; the plans are elaborated in every detail of the work; tools are devised to overcome hardships and accommodate disorder; and many swearings that are confused in Burma have been successfully mastered by the marvelous mind that lives in the dead and shattered bodies of this devout minister.

" It was consecrated on 22 February 1911 as Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception. Priest P. P. St. Guily wrote the name of the main donators on it and autographed it. Father Janzen was buried at the church aisle five month after the consecration, on August 1, 1911.

It' a new disaster and a new cathedral: It was in a splendid state of distress. It resisted the 1941-42 bombardments of Japan, but the Allied bombardments of December 14, 1944 blown all the glass paintings to pieces. These were reworked with the usual domestic glass. May 2, 2008, Cyclone Nargis struck and destroyed the glass of the church again.

Mehr zum Thema