Shwegugyi TempleTemple of Shwegugyi
Bagan : Shwegugyi Temple, Myanmar (Burma)
In Myanmar Shwegugyi means "the Golden Cave". Situated in front of the Imperial palace, it is also known as "Nandaw Oo Paya", which means "pagoda in front of the palace". Constructed in 1140 by Alaungsithu, there is a myth that a giant 12 foot tall tile germinated out of the soil in reaction to the king's height, which he achieved through his achievements.
Thus with the gigantic tile building the pedestal of the temple was built. Mention was made that the Shwegugyi was finished in 7 month and 7 day. There was also a proverb that King Alaungsithu passed away at this place, according to a chronicle. As King Alaungsithu grew older and afflicted, his boy brought him from the castle to this temple and gave him to suffering.
It was known to King Bayinnaung that he later restored part of the entry to the Shwegugyi temple.
Bagan Shwegugyi Temple Myanmar
Temple of Shwegugyi. A small but graceful temple erected by Alaungsithu in 1131, it stands on a high tile deck, the temple faces towards the northern side and can be accessed via an open staircase at the northwestern end of the village. The hallway as well as the inner hallway around the main building have doors and open plan shutters that are free of daylight and open spaces.
In it it is noted that the temple was finished within seven month.
Alaung Sithu constructed the Shwegugyi Pongo during 1141. Situated near the entry to the Royal Palace, also known as Nan Oo Paya in Myanmar. Shweegugyi was erected on a 13-foot tower that gives the illusion of a fungus springing from the soil.
It' s situated just south of the Thabyinnyu Bridge. There is a cavern lagoon with a shikhara on top pointing towards the south. There is a staircase at the north-western edge of the room that leads to the upper end. Along the basis of the tower and the patios there are decorated glass covered ceramic tile of good colour, still in good state.
Four Buddha pictures of bricks and concrete supporting each other sit around the center column. Inside the walls of the Nordeingang are two labeled flagstones. In Pali there is an epigraph of 47 and 45 line in one plate.
There is an indication of the beginning and end date of the pagoda's building. From this we can see that it took 7 weeks and 7 weeks until the pagoda was built. In Sanskrit, the last two lineages run as follows: "Construction began on Sunday, the fourth declining lunar of Kason in Sakarit year 503, and the Shwegugyi Pagoda was successfully finished on Monday, the eleventh declining lunar of Nataw in Sakarit year 503.
According to the epigraph, the emperor constructed this temple because he wanted to obtain Nirvana and the emperor searched for the precious virtue of being a Buddha himself and seeking shelter in three precious stones (The Buddha. The Dhamma and the Sangha). Over and over again, the epigraph mentions the king's desires - he was praying that he would want to do the good of himself and others, he would like to repay the guilt of thankfulness no matter what he owe, he would like to protect the feeling beings from the suffering of the natal life circle (samsara) and just like Meya, the Buddha of the day to come, he would like to become the queen who is much revered and worshiped by people and divas.
At the northwestern edge of the lagoon there is a small staircase in rock that leads up to the other floors. Shweegugyi was built between the early and middle Bagan years. Around the plateau there are sculptures of natural talents. Approximately 20 temples with glass panels in Bagan design and Shwegugyi is one of these memorials.
There are two originals of the stones in the pavilion in the main area. Along the wall of the lagoon there are also verses and sentences. In the prayer rooms on the eastern, western and southern sides and the arched hallway to the central block are the large wood doors consecrated by King Bayint Naung (1551-81 AD), who restored the Shwegugyi page during his journey there.
You can see the facsimile of the ceiling above the facades of the central part of the church, but it is only weak due to the limescale. Portraits above the large Buddha picture in the north picture gallery are from the Kon-Baung Age. It has 13 line inks lettering of the same time found on the side panel found to the east of the picture panel.
The Myanmar annals say that King Alaung Sithu was taken by a disease in his old days and brought to the pagoda where he passed away. Bayint Naung, the "Founder of the Second Myanmar Empire" refurbished and beautified the Shwegugyi Pagoda in the Sakarite Year 913 (1551 AD). It also erected a column of stones at the southwestern edge of the Sacred Heart shed.
Eleven inscribed rows from the Sakarite year 913. According to the epigraph, "When the king's eldest friar became King, he was repairing and building convents and memorials in his realm. As well as drive out the generality, the church, and the laity.