Shwe ti Gon PagodaThe Shwe ti Gon Pagoda
This pagoda goes down in 1485's annals from legends, the date of an inscription at the top of the east staircase that narrates the tale of Shwedagon in three tongues (Pali, Mon and Burmese). Around this period began the traditional process of gilt the stupas. The queen Shinsawbu delivered her own lightness of 40 kg in the form of a light alloy of 40 kg, which was processed into a layer of solid wood and covered the canopy.
In 1824, after the First Anglo-Burmese Wars, the pagoda plant Schwedagon, which towers high above the town like a fortress, was overcrowded. During the Second Wars in 1852, the Brits invaded the Pagoda for 77 years and plundered its treasure. The Swedish Pagoda, a symbolic of Myanmar's nationhood, was the site of many of the country's nationalist activities during the Myanmar Revolution in the 1920s.
Surprisingly, the 1930 major quake (which devastated the Bagan Schwemawdaw) did little to the Yangon Stupa. Following a small 1970 quake, the central tupa was completely renovated. Legends of the Swedish Pagoda begin with two Myanmar merchants who encountered the Buddha himself. Buddha gave them eight of his hair to anchor them in Burma.
There was a room for the storage of the relic in the holy place, and when the hair was taken out of their gold coffin, astonishing things happened: After the reliquaries were placed securely in the new cabinet, a gold plate was placed on the room and a gold Stupa was made.
Above this a silvery and then a stannicupa, a cupricupa, a leadupa, a wonderful stoneupa, and an iron-brickupa were layers. Later on, according to myth, the Swedish monarchy was ruined until the Buddhist converter, the Hindu king Asoka, came to Myanmar and queer. Hard to find, he had the jungles evacuated and the stupas mended.
It' s hard to understand why the Swedish Pagoda is such a sacred place for worship. Constructed on the site of the relicts of former Buddhas, which contain the relicts of the youngest Buddha, the site of wonders and regal sponsorship, this is indeed an important monument. Schwedagon's large pagoda is located on a 5 hectare large plateau on a mound 58m aboveseas.
Four roofed paths leading to the pagoda deck. On Schwedagon Paya Road, the south-facing entry is nearest to the front door and is watched over by two 18-foot high chints (mythical lions dragons). Stairs are bordered by stores that sell flower (both genuine and paper) for offering, as well as Buddha pictures, frankincense, antiquities and other objects.
In spite of the salesmen the way is cold and calm, which only intensifies the effect of light sunny and stunning colour when you walk on the top plate. It is full of sparkling, colourful Stupa, but the giant headupa is the centre of attraction for most people.
Around them, a mats path has been built to prevent visitors' naked legs from being burned on the tower. Each centimetre is coated with golden and the tops are set with over 2,000 carat diamond. There is a 6th floor with the central tupa on a rectangular base.
4 meters (20 feet) above the deck and lifts it off the other Stupa's. This elevated deck has smaller stupas: large ones on the four points of the compass, middle ones at the four edges and 60 small ones around the circumference. Men are allowed to enter the 6 metre pedestal patio with the pagoda trustee's consent in order to practice meditation.
Lastly, the "banana bud" is the last part of the Stupa itself, with 13,153 golden plaques (in contrast to the lower section foliage gold), each 30 square centimetres in size. The top of the Stupa is the stunning seven-storey tower decor. On the large deck supporting the large Stupa there are many other stupas, praying rooms, statues and chests.
For your information, the Buddha was borne on Wednesday mornings. You have to go around the Stupa in a clock-wise direction, so that the visitor turns off to the lefthand from any entry to the deck they have used. Coming from the southward entry, go ahead to a large sanctuary at Konagamana, the second Buddha, on the southward side of the base of the Stupa.
Next to the cabinet are the planet poles for Mercury. Around the base we continue westwards, past a double-headed man-faced Leo, a smiling Corposer with his hand on his skull and a ground goddess. On the southwest edge of the pedestal is the planet pole for Saturn.
From the pedestal towards the south-western part of the building there is a 28-painting gazebo depicting the 28 former Buddhas, and near the rear south-western edge there is a memorial with four-language insignia telling of a 1920s students' revolt against Britain's reign. On the western side of the plateau is a showcase with two statues of ghosts, one of which is the guard of Shwedagon' s wife Natal.
In the next temple there is an 8 metre long Buddha, and just northwards there is the Tazaung of Chinese merchants with a large number of Buddha-figurines. At the western side of the pedestal are statues of Mai Lamu and the father of Ukkalapa, who is said to have anchored the Buddha hair in Sweden.
This large edifice just east of the central mock-up is the Worship hall, constructed in 1841 but devastated by the fire that sweeps the plateau in 1931. The room is flanked by the planet poles for Jupiter. Back to the westside of the deck, directly opposite the worship center and at the top of the westerly stairs is the Two Pice Tazaung.
To the north is a low gazebo constructed by monastic equipment producers. This is followed by a gazebo with high pillars and a multi-layered gazebo (pyatthat) that rises from the top overhang. On the northwest edge of the pedestal is the Yahu Planetenpost, a mythic Hindu planets that causes deaths.
Close by is the Eight Day Refectory, a small Refectory with a gold tower and eight recesses around its basis, each with a Buddha-painting. To the northwest of the stupa is the belfry with the 23-ton Maha Ganda bells. Poured between 1775 and 1779, this large gold dome was plundered by the British in 1825, but they dumped it into the Yangon River as they tried to take it to the harbour.
To the north of the belfry is a large gazebo with a 9m high Buddha, which is often used for events. There is a small sanctuary behind it with a much worshipped Buddha picture coated in pure golden leaves. On an open area of the eastern part of the deck is the star-shaped wishing place, where many followers often kneel and pray that their desires will come to pass.
On the far northwest edge there are two banaceae, one of which comes from a cut of the Bodhi tree in India, where the Buddha was illuminated. At the northern side of the plateau is the China praying room with wood carvings and China kite figurines on the sides of the stupa in front of it.
In the adjoining gazebo are life-size Indian statues and the next one is watched over by English cubs. There is a gazebo between the stairs and the master tupa where the large tif of the master tupa was placed before it was lifted up, and then the Hair Relics Well, which is to be supplied by the Ayeyarwady River.
Buddha's hair washed in this fountain before being placed in the head tupa. Standing on the northerly side of the pedestal is the northerly worship room with a picture of the historic Buddha. It is flanked by the planet pillars of Venus. This sun pillar is located at the northeast edge of the pedestal, with the zodiacal symbol of Varuda, a birdlike mythological Hindu and Buddha myth.
Only north-east of the North Worship Halls is one of the most striking buildings on the plateau, a Mahabodhi style building in India. Beside it a small gold-plated Stupa and another two-part fence, which captures a 200-year-old Buddha picture. On the north-eastern edge of the deck is the gold Elderupa ( "Naungdawgyi Stupa"), which was erected where the relic hairs were placed before they were anchored in the main Stupa.
No woman is allowed to climb the Elder Stateupa. Southwards of the stupa is a gazebo devoted to Izza-Gawna, a legend legend who was able to substitute one of a bull and one of a bitch for his missing witness. This is the statue to the right of the Buddha's head picture.
At the extreme northeastern edge of the plateau is the 1485 Dhammazedi engraving, which was initially on the east staircase. Towards the north, the elegant gazebo with the 42-ton Maha Titthadaganda bell, poured in 1841, can be seen. Opposite the east staircase is the east sanctuary, which is regarded as the most attractive on the plate.
Reconstructed after the fire of 1931, it contains a picture of Kakusandha, the first Buddha. The planet poles for the lunar are on both sides; there are gold Shan screens next to the pole in the northern part. A Buddha picture, known as Tawa-gu, is located behind the sanctuary, on top of the canopy.
Near the east entry is the charming U Nyo Pavillion with a range of woodcarvings depicting Gautama Buddha's world. Across from it at the south-eastern edge of the pedestal is the planet pole for Mars. At the south-east edge of the deck there is another holy bohi pole and a good look over Yangon and the Yangon River.
The area of the deck houses the Pagoda Trustee's offices, a small open-air exhibition, a gazebo with delicate wood carvings, a rotating stio and a telescopic view of the genuine stio high above the stupa. Accommodation:Hotels near Shwedagon PagodaNote: This information was correct on initial release and we will do our best to keep it up to date, but specifications such as opening times and rates are subject to changes without prior notification.