Second Largest City in MyanmarMyanmar's second largest city
Myanmar's second largest city ("Burma") ~ Columbus travels through Myanmar ("Burma")
andalay is the second largest city and the last imperial capitol of Burma. The city is situated 716 km from Yangon on the eastern shore of the Irrawaddy River and has 1,225,553 inhabitants (2014 census). andalay is the commercial center of Upper Burma and is regarded as the center of Burma's cultural life.
In spite of Naypyidaw's recent ascent, Mandalay is still the most important trade, education and healthcare centre in Upper Burma. Mandalay, like most of Burma's former (and present) major cities, was established at the request of the then reign. King Mindon established a new King's capitol at the base of Mandalay Hill on February 13, 1857, allegedly to fulfil a prophesy about the establishment of a Buddhist city at this very place on the 2,400th anniversary of Buddhism.
Situated in the new area of the capitol was 66 km², enclosed by four creeks. There was a 144 m2 large 144 m2 boulder pattern in the fortress, with a 16 m2 large king's building anchoring it in the middle of Mandalay Hill. The former king's residence of Amarapura was demolished in June 1857 and brought to the new site at the base of Mandalay Hill by the elephant, although the building of the residence was formally finished only two years later, on Monday, May 23, 1859.
Mandalay was to be the last kingly capitol of the Konbaung dynasty for the next 26 years, the last remaining sovereign Burma empire before its definitive annexation into the Empire. MNDALAY stopped being the capitol on November 28, 1885, when the capturing Britons Thibaw Min and his Empress supaya lettuce exiled and ended the Third Anglo-Burmese War.
Mandalay remained the capital of Upper Burma during Britain's Colonisation, but its economic and civic importance had irrevocably moved to Yangon. Britain's vision of the Mandalay (and Burma) developments was mainly trade. In 1889, less than four years after its annexation, railway traffic arrived in Mandalay, the first Mandalay College was not founded until 40 years later, in 1925.
They plundered the castle with some of the treasure still on show at the Victoria and Albert Museum and renamed it Fort Dufferin. Mandalay was the center of Burma's cultural and Buddhist education throughout the entire period of colonization and was considered by the people of Burma as the last King's capitol as the prime emblem of independence and identification.
In the inter-war period, the city was at the centre of a number of national protest against Britain's domination. Britain's reign attracted many Indian migrants. Between 1904-05, a pestilence forced about a third of the city' s inhabitants to escape. Mandalay remained the most important centre of Upper Burma in terms of culture, education and economy after the war.
Up until the early 90s, most of our Upper Burmese college graduates went to Mandalay to study at a school. Up to 1991 Mandalay Univeristy, the Univ. of Medicine, Mandalay and the Defence Services Academy were the only three in Upper Burma. Few other towns had Degree Colleges at Mandalay which provided a restricted number of courses.
Today, the city is attracting a small percentage of college graduates, as the army regime demands that they visit their own university in order to decrease the student population. Mandalay celebrates its centenary in November 1959 with a celebration at the base of Mandalay Hill. In the early 1980s, Burma's second largest city looked like a city with low level structures and powdery, mostly bicycle-filled avenues.
The city was struck by two large fire in the 1980'. Fire continues to ravage the city. In February 2008, a fire devastated Mandalay's second largest store, the Yadanabon Markets, and another fire in February 2009 demolished 320 houses and leaving over 1,600 persons without shelter. While Burma's regime turned a blank cheek, many Yunnan (and Sichuan) immigrant workers from China flocked to Upper Burma in the 1990' and many landed there.
In the 1990' alone, an estimation of 250,000 to 300,000 Yunnanese emigrated to Mandalay. It' s a frequent Myanmar grievance that Mandalay is becoming little more than a Chinese satelite and that the romanticism of the old Mandalay is long gone. Most of the Chinese are involved in the revitalisation of the city center, which has now been reconstructed with residential buildings, hotel and malls, leading the city back to its function as a trade center between Lower Burma, Upper Burma, China and India.
China's domination of the city centre has displaced the remainder into the outskirts. Today, the sprawling settlement includes Amarapura, the city that King Mindon abandoned about 150 years ago. Mandalay celebrates his centenary on 15 May 2009 at exactly 4:31:36 am. Mandalay has been the most important trade, education and healthcare centre in Upper Burma despite the ascent of Naypyidaw, the nation's capitol since 2006.
The Mandalay is situated in the Irrawaddy Rivers main arid area of Burma at the age of 21. A sacred Buddha tooth relic was kept in the Mandalay Swedaw Wooden Table on Maha Dhammayanthi Hill in Amarapura Parish. It has been constructed with money donated by Burmese people and Buddhist donators from all over the globe under the auspices of the State Peace and Development Council.
This 1857 by King Mindon build as the Shwezigon Puagoda in Nyaung-U is encircled by 729 erect rock plates, on which the whole Tipi?aka stands in the version published and authorized by the Fifth Buddhist Board. In the vernacular it is known as "The biggest books of the world" for its stony writings.
Close to the south entrance to Mandalay Hill is the Kyauktawgyi Buddha painting, which King Mindon made in 1853-78. Worshipped as the most sacred of Mandalay pagodas, it was erected by King Bodawpaya in 1784. This large picture is the largest in Burma, along with the Shwedagon pit. Visiting Mandalay is not complete without visiting the Mahamuni Puagoda.
And Mandalay Hill: This is a sacred mountain for a long time. According to mythology, the Buddha had predicted during his stay that a large city would be built at the bottom of the city. 230m high Mandalay hill offers a wonderful panoramic look at the city and the surroundings. andalay Palace:
During the Second World War, the entire splendid castle grounds were devastated. The beautifully constructed castle ramparts, the city doors with their coronating wood pavillons and the surrounded ditch, however, still constitute an imposing scenery of the Mandalay building "Mya-nan-san-kyaw Shwenandaw", which was reconstructed by work.
There is a Mandalay-Palast, Nanmyint-saung and the Mandalay Culture Museum on the same area. Known for its complex woodcarvings, this convent is a shattered memory of the old Mandalay building. It was actually part of the old building that King Thibaw relocated to its present location in 1880.
Mandalay Chinese Temple: The Chinese temple, known for its ancient art architecture and artefacts, mirrors Mandalay's ancient past. Between Mandalay Palace and Mandalay Hill. There is a wide range of trips through Myanmar and Thailand. D-586 Strand Road (at the corner of Seventh Street), Lanmadaw Municipality, Yangon, Myanmar.