Royal Palace Amsterdam

King's Palace Amsterdam

It is open to the public. Amsterdam's Royal Palace in Amsterdam is one of three palaces in the Netherlands that are legally available to the monarch. Numerous paintings and sculptures in the Royal Palace tell many stories from the time when the Palace was still the Town Hall of Amsterdam. Paleis op de Dam, or the Royal Palace of Amsterdam, is located in the heart of the city on Dam Square. Explore the Royal Palace of Amsterdam with an informative audio guide.

King's Palace Amsterdam

It is open to the general public. No. Situated in the centre of the Netherlands capitol, the splendid Royal Palace is not only one of the most renowned historic palaces in the Netherlands, it is also the only palace in the Netherlands that is both actively used and open to the general public. In addition to being one of the most beautiful palaces in the Netherlands, it is also the only one that is open to the general population.

If the palace is not used by the Dutch royal family, the visitor is cordially invited to explore an exquisite selection of works of art and furniture.

chip class="mw-headline" id="History">History>

Amsterdam's Royal Palace in Amsterdam (Dutch: Koninklijk Paleis van Amsterdam or Paleis auf de Dam) is one of three Palazzi in the Netherlands which are available to the Royal Family. It' located on the western side of Dam Square in the center of Amsterdam, opposite the War Memorial and next to the Nieuwe Kerk.

This palace was erected as the town council during the Golden Age of the Netherlands in the seventeenth cent. It became the royal palace of King Louis Napoleon and later the Dutch royal family. It was erected as Amsterdam Town Council [2] "opposite the moorings along the Damrak, which at that point would have been occupied by ships".

3 ] The Townhall was opened on 29 July 1655 by Cornelis de Graeff, Amsterdam's Lord Highlake. It was erected on 13,659[2] wooden posts and costs 8.5 million guilders. The Antwerp City Council was the inspiration for Jacob van Campen. It was his intention to construct a new capital for the mayors of Amsterdam, who saw themselves as the new Rome's northern city.

Europe's biggest administration block was the new townhall. Some travelers described the edifice as too big for the urban area, where a characteristic facade was only three window-width. Daniël Stalpaert, the municipal architect, was responsible for the project's engineering. Later, the interior rooms concentrating on the might and prestigious Amsterdam were finished.

The interior of the Townhall was designed by de Hooch in a number of paintings from the 1660', among them Going for a Work in the Amsterdam City Hall and The Council Chamber in Amsterdam Town Hall. Soon the King of Holland had time to appreciate his new palace. On 2 July 1810 he resigned;[2] his boy, Napoleon Louis Bonaparte, followed him as King Ludwig II, before the Netherlands was annihilated by France ten inches later.

Then the palace became the seat of the Parisian Gouverneurs Charles François Lebrun. In 1813, after the fall of Napoleon, Prince William VI (son of Prince William V of Orange) came back to the Netherlands and renovated the palace to its former owner. However, after his inauguration as King William I of the Netherlands, Amsterdam became the UK's formal capitol (seat of the Brussels and The Hague governments).

As the new sovereign recognized the importance of a palace in the city, the city council became a royal palace again. In 1936 it was transferred to the Kingdom of the Netherlands. On 27 December 1949, the main room of the palace (Burgerzaal) was the venue of the formal Indonesiaoverdracht ( "Soevereiniteitsoverdracht") ceremonial, held by Queen Juliana and the Democratic Republic of Indonesia's Vice-President Muhammad Hatta.

During the inauguration of the Royal Palace in 1980, Her Majesty Beatrix used the balconies where her mum Juliana introduced the new king to the population. 7 ] It symbolizes the global expansion of trade and the interests of the seventeenth world. At the top of the palace there is a large dome overlooked by a weathervane in the shape of a cogwheeler.

It is a landmark for Amsterdam. The dome contains the renowned glockenspiel by François and Pieter Hemony from 1664 in Amsterdam. Old damaged Hemony-bell is kept in the palace. It is 120 ft long, 60 ft broad and 90 ft high. Hemisphere describes the territory of the Amsterdam Empire.

These original images show the areas researched by Dutch East India Company vessels in the first half of the seventeenth cent.

Auch interessant

Mehr zum Thema