Rangoon to YangonYangon to Yangon
Trip to Burma / Myanmar: Yangon
Rangoon, or Yangon as the Yangon administration likes to call it, lies a mile behind the major cities of other Orient. Yangon has thus become an unintentional urban sprawl like Calcutta and Dhaka, but even more so. In the early 1850s, the British relocated Burma's main city here from Mawlamyine (Moulmein).
Directly supervised by Lord Dalhousie, they built a grid of roads along the Rangoon River. A 50-foot road was the longer size, halving the superpads, which were then joined together by 30-foot roads to form small but long boulders. Just like road designs all over the globe, this has proven to be ineradicable: you see it here, 150 years after Dalhousie.
They are a branch line: the city's central railway is located four super blocks to the south, where the raster is substituted by a freer streetscape. One detail of the same edifice to capture the date. Little piece of smithy on the same block. Right down the road, the customs house, formerly High Court.
The latter may seem more of a comedy, but the ICS was what the Britons liked to call the "steel frame" of their management, and the characters still have a certain seal of quality. See for example the last images in Myanmar 3: Colonial Houses in Mawlamyine. Butler, however, was a favourite with the Brits in Rangoon: after all, he liked races.
On the other side of the street: the Port Trust of the Port Authority. Pansodan is the name of the road - in the UK it was named Spar. Neo-classical listings include the Port Authority in the forefront, the Agricultural Development Bank, the Ministry of Information and the Ministry of Inland Navigation. Here is the inland navigation facility.
" It was the seat of the Irrawaddy Flotilla Company, whose infamous flotilla company was fully and intentionally submerged when Burma came into Japan's possession. On the other side of the road another symbol of capitalist colonialism, again adopted for governing use. This is the town' s infamous rooftop beachfront.
Decayed gradually for two generation after the Brits abandoned Burma in 1948, it was extensively mended. We have now pulled away from the beach and are located in the centre of the lattice, in the Maha Bandoola Garden (formerly Fytche Square) and look at the court building constructed around 1920. The old UK office, two super blocks to the west.
Did the palace exist in the times of Britain? Imperialism was abhorred and the land slowly began to lose the liberty it believed it could gain. It was a more humble administration house of the UK age. In spite of Europe's domination, Rangoon was first and foremost a metropolis of immigrant India, the vast majority of whom were living in crowded homes.