Pyin Oo Lwin CityOo Pyin Lwin City
Xinhua said on 30 October that Myanmar plans to turn Pyin Oo Lwin, the floral city in the north of the Myanmar countryside, into a floral city for the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), citing state medias. According to the survey, the transition will take place through the use of Dutch floricultural technology, and added that the cultivation of top class floriculture in Pyin Oo Lwin, Mandalay area, will help cut the influx of fresh floriculture from other nationalities.
As the Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock and Irrigation has been cited, a privately owned enterprise will be importing high value Dutch floral seed to cultivate high value floral crops using the use of organic fertilisers to produce floral products for sale on overseas market.
Upland flower city Pyin Oo Lwin
Situated on a luxuriant 65 kilometre plain 65 kilometres from Mandalay, the high country floral city of Pyin Oo Lwin lies far above the central Myanmar dusts. At 1070 metres above sea level, the city is known for its cold weather, even in the hottest months of the year. Established in 1896 by the Brits as a holiday resort for the UK rulers to avoid the Yangon and Mandalay heats.
Initially the name of the city was " Maymyo " or " May town ", after Colonel James May, a UK soldier of the Fifth Bengali Infantry who was based there in 1886. Following the building of the Mandaly railroad, Maymyo became the summers capitol during the UK government, a position it held until the end of UK domination in 1948.
The Pyin Oo Lwin has 5 name and all are known: Oo Lwin, Maymyo, Taung Lay Khar ("Hillside Stairs"), Taung Sa Kan ("Hill Station") and Pan Myo Taw ("City of Flowers"). This name was altered after the British left. Visiting Pyin Oo Lwin will take you back a few years.
Much of the charme of its golden era is preserved, among them many quaint timber houses, villas and church houses as well as an imposing botanic gardens. The Pyin Oo Lwin is known for its fruits, preserves and fruity wine. National Kandawgyi Gardens, Pyin Oo Lwin's main touristic destination, was discovered in 1915 by the English explorer Alex Roger.
Designed in the style of Kew Gardens of England. Originally, the 30 hectare site was modelled on the Kew Gardens of England. Since 2000 the gardens have been converted into a recreational park and re-named "Kandawgyi National Gardens", with a surface area of 240 hectares, including 170 hectares of farmland and 70 hectares of waters.
There is a great diversity of colourful plant life in the garden, among them various types of wild flowers such as the orchid, Mahlia and roses, many tropical fruit and shadewood. Nan Myint, a large watchtower, offers an amazing 360-degree view of the city, the surroundings and the city.
It preserves some typical charming rural villas from the 19 th centuries. Kolonial homes were converted into colleges, administration offices or hotel accommodation. Some of the most popular homes are the Candacraig Hotel, Governor's House, Nan Myaing Hotel (Craddock Court), Gandamar Myaing Hotel (The Croxtan) and All Saints Church, an English language school.
Pwe Kauk Falls (also known as Hampshire Falls) are about 8 kilometres from the city and are a range of shallow, broad falls where many swimmers and gamers often go for a game.