Pergamon MuseumMuseum of Pergamum
dp="mw-headline" id="Origine">Origin< class="mw-editsection-bracket">>>
Pergamon Museum is located on the Museum Island in Berlin. Pergamon Museum contains monuments such as the Pergamon Altar, the Ishtar Gate of Babylon, the Market Gate of Miletus, which has been rebuilt from the remains found in Anatolia, and the Mshatta façade. When the Kaiser Friedrich Museum was opened on Museum Island (now the Bodemuseum) in 1904, it was clear that the building was not large enough to house all the artistic and archeological gems under the control of Germany.
In the areas of antique Babylon, Uruk, Assur, Milet, Priene and old Egypt archaeological digs were carried out, and the artefacts from these places could not be correctly represented in the current museum system in Germany. William von Bode, curator of the Kaiser Friedrich Museum, was the initiator of the construction of a new museum in the vicinity, which will house antique architectural works, antique works of contemporary Germany as well as works of Arab and Near East paint.
In 1909, after his deaths, his boyfriend Ludwig Hoffman took over the scheme and building began in 1910, during the First World War (1918) and the great inflations of the twenties. Pergamon Museum was badly affected by the aerial bombing of Berlin at the end of the Second World War.
The Red Army gathered all slack museum artefacts in 1945, either as spoils of arms or allegedly to save them from plundering and fire in Berlin. Only in 1958 were most of the properties brought back to East Germany. A few are currently in the Pushkin Museum in Moscow and the Hermitage Museum in St. Petersburg.
The museum's exhibits include, among others: Only in 1830, when the Alte Museum was opened, was it (partially) opened to the general view. Archaeological finds in Olympia, Samos, Pergamon, Miletus, Priene, Magnesia, Cyprus and Didyma have significantly extended the group. The Pergamon Museum and the Alte Museum are part of this group.
Its most important objects are the Pergamon altar from the 2. cent. BC with a 113 meter long sculptured cornice, which represents the battle of deities and reigns, and the gate of Miletus from ancient Rome. Just as Germany was split after the Second World War, so was the German art world.
Pergamonmuseum was re-opened in East Berlin in 1959, while what was left in West Berlin was exhibited at Charlottenburg Theatre. With the opening of the Bode Museum in 1904, a department for Muslim arts was established and later incorporated into the Pergamon Museum (1950). In addition to works of Muslim artworks from the eighth to nineteenth centuries, which extend from Spain to India, the major feature is the Mshatta façade, which comes from an incomplete early Muslim deserts house just outside Amman in present-day Jordan.
There are also regular changing exhibits of recent works from the Muslim community, such as the 2008 Turkey Délight (contemporary Turkic design) and Naqsh (Gender in Iranian Arts and Society). Part of Edmund de Unger's Keir collection, formerly located in his house in Ham, Surrey, was handed over to the museum in 2008 on permanent loan for 15 years.
As one of the most important privately owned postwar Muslim artworks, it encompasses the whole Muslim landscape from the Middle Ages to the 18th centuries and comprises rugs, fabrics, illuminated handwriting, bookbinding, pottery, metal goods and quartzware. In the Middle East Museum's exhibit, artefacts found by archaeologists from Germany and other areas of Asyrian, Sumerian und Babelan civilization are on display.
In the Vorderasiatisches Museum, the Meissner part of the Gilgamesh epic is also on display. As part of the extensive map for the Museum Island, the Pergamon Museum is to be extended to include the Neues Museum, the Bodemuseum, the Alte Nationalgalerie and a new visitors' center, the James Simon Gallery. Catherine Hickley "Berlin builds temp showroom in the midst of delay at the Pergamonmuseum" in "The Art Newspaper" from 9.