Olomouc

Olmütz (Olomouc)

The town Olomouc is situated in Moravia, in the east of the Czech Republic. We had never heard of Olomouc before our visit to the Czech Republic. sspan class="mw-headline" id="History">History[edit] Olmütz is said to be located on the site of a former fortress, which was built during the Empire and whose initial name, Iuliomontium (Mount Julius), was supposed to be slowly altered to its present state. In 810 the village Slavic sovereign was conquered by army of Great-Moravian sovereign and the village in Olomouc-Povel was demolished.

Olomouc diocese was established in 1063. The town of Olomouc became one of the most important Moravian settlement and the headquarters of the Moravian administration P?emyslid and one of the rulers of the Apanage. In the mid-13th centuries the official foundation of the town took place and it became one of the most important trading and powerful centers of the area.

Eventually Olomouc suffered losses after the Swedes had conquered the town and kept it for eight years (1642-1650). During the second half of the fifteenth and eighteenth centuries the Olomouc Gold Ages began. Two Bohemian monarchs (Wladislaus II and Matthias Corvinus) came together here in 1479 and signed a treaty (Peace of Olomouc 1479) on the division of the area.

Olomouc was invaded by the Swedes for eight years in 1640 during the Thirty Years' War. The Olomouc was defended by Maria Theresa during the War with Frederick the Great, who in 1758 laid siege to the town for seven unsuccessful week. Olomouc was the site of the resignation of Ferdinand in 1848.

1746 the Societas eruditorum incognitorum im terris Austriacis, the first scholarly association in the countries controlled by the Austrian Habsburgs, was established in Olomouc to disseminate enlightening notions. Each month her excerpts were the first scholarly periodical in the Habsburg realm. In the middle of the 16th and seventeenth century the church charter of the city, the assemblies of the Diet and the local hymnbook were written in Czechs.

In the middle of the 16th millennium the first paper on classical folk songs in Celtic language was released in Olomouc. Most of the Germans supported the Nazis during the Second World War; the city councillor led by Germany changed the name of the Hauptplatz (until then it had been known as the Hauptplatz after T. G. Masaryk) to Adolf Hitler. When Olomouc was freed, the inhabitants of the city took back the name of the area.

In spite of its great charm, Olomouc was not spotted by visitors as Prague, ?eský Krumlov and Karlovy Vary were largely saturated. In Olomouc there are several large plazas, the head of which is decorated with the Holy Trinity Column, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. One of the most famous churches is St. Wenceslas Cathedral, which was built before 1107 on the site of Olomouc Castle.

Romance tomb, Gothic vault, Gothic shrines, Gothic churches. One of Olomouc's most valuable memorials remains: such an early bishop's palace is the only one of its kind in Central Europe. In the vicinity was the P?emyslid Palast, which served as the seat of the Olomouc counts of the ruling family P?emyslid . When he visited Olomouc in 1995 he was canonised by Pope John Paul II.

Pope John Paul II also paid a visit to Svatý Kope?ek (Olomouc) (cs), with the splendid St. Mary's Visitation Basilica. In Olomouc there are several convents, among them the Hradisko monastery, the Dominican sisters' monastery in Olomouc and others. The Orthodox Catholic Orthodox Church of Olomouc, dedicated to St. Gorazd (cs), and the Mausoleum of Yugoslavian Soldiers are also noteworthy sites.

On one side it is accompanied by a Romanesque church, which is now the Olomouc Art Museum. Alomouc is proud of its six wells. Whereas most towns in Europe removed old wells after the construction of plumbing, Olomouc chose to use them as a reservoir in the event of a fire.

An Arion well, which had been influenced by the older Arion design, was added to the central plaza in the 21th c. On the biggest place in Olomouc (Horní: nám?stí, Upper Square), in front of the astronomic watch, there is a cast of the whole Old Quarter in bronce. The Palacký University, the oldest in Moravia and the second oldest in the Czech Republic, was established in 1573 as part of the efforts to restore Roman Catholicism to the area.

In those days about nine out of ten residents of the countries of the Bohemian Crown were Protestants. Most of their departments were oppressed in the 1850s by the Habsburg regime in return for the assistance of professors and students for the 1848 Revolutions and the national revival of the Czechs. In 1946 the whole building was completely renovated and re-named Palacký Olomouc Univeristy.

Universities play a very important part in the city' s life: Olomouc has the highest concentration of student population in Central Europe with over 25,200 enrolled at the Moravian College in Olomouc[7]. It closes during the vacation and examination period. The tram services operate alone during the public vacations (except during peak hours), while during meetings the services are operated by two tram services.

Approximately one third of the city's cultural hub is made up of campus facilities, including the university's Art Department and the Zeughaus (now the Zentralbibliothek). Olmütz is the heart of Hanakei - an ethnographical district in Middle Moravia. Olomouc's bus and tram system provides access to a wide range of transportation facilities. Olomouc train stations from Olomouc Hlavni NDra?í to Senice na Hané and Prost?jov stop in the area.

On 17 October 1841 the first platoon came from Vienna to Olomouc. The first buses in 1845 linked the rail terminal and the centre of Olomouc. Olomouc Central station (Olomoucc Central Station) is an important rail hub. Olomouc Central Park is very lively with Czech Railways, RegioJet and LEO Express passengers stopping at all types of stations.

Olomouc asteroid 30564 was given its name after this town. In Olomouc they shot footage from the 2002 Doctor Zhivago series. George Flegel (1566 in Olomouc - 1638) famous for his still lifes. Rudolph Eitelberger von Edelberg (1817 in Olomouc - 1885) Kunsthistoriker and founding father of the Kunsthistorische Hochschule Wien.

Austro-Hungarian military official Hermann Hiltl (1872 in Olomouc - 1930), who became the commander of his own right-wing militias, hugged both Nazism and Pan-Germanism without fully engaging with Nazism. This is Leo Fall (1873 in Olomouc - 1925) Austria's operetta musician. Gottfried Ka?par (1877 in Bludov - 1934) a Czech artist and illuminator.

Fierlinger (1891 in Olomouc - 1976): Bohemian Diplomate and political scientist. From 1944 to 1946 he was Prime Minister of Czechoslovakia, first in the exiled Bohemian administration in London and later in the freed Czechoslovakia. Èev?en Ro?ický (1914 in Olomouc - 1942). He was a young competitor, writer and member of the opposition. Ev?ena Ro?ického Stadion is a famous Bohemian arena with a name after him.

Pelikán (1923 in Olomouc - 1999) Czechoslovak reporter and Member of the European Parliament for the Socialist Party of Italy. Viklický (born 1948 in Olomouc) is a Bohemian jazzpianist and musician. Ján G. ?vec (born 1966 in Olomouc) Vocal researcher, inventor of videocymography, for the diagnostics of vocal disturbances.

Prof. Mgr. Jaroslav Miller, M.A., Ph.D. (born 1971 in ?umperk) historian and principal at the Palacký University in Olomouc. Vémola (born 1985 in Olomouc) Karel "Karlos" Vémola Tschechischer Profi-Mixed Marina player, body-builder, wrestler and member of Sokol. Bomá? Kalas (born 1993) is a football player who works for the Fulham F.C. British football team, on loans from Chelsea F.C. Olomouc:

Olomouc Mayor' s List: 1990-1994 Milan Ho?ínek PhD. Antonín Stan?k, Ph.D. "Olomouc". This is Rutgers University Press. p. 266. Commons Wikimedia has related to Olomouc related newsletters.

wikivoyage has a guidebook for Olomouc.

Auch interessant

Mehr zum Thema