Myanmar top Destinations

Burma Top Destinations

Easily accessible with an established infrastructure to welcome tourists, they are considered the "must-see" destinations in Myanmar. "Rudyard Kipling could not have described Myanmar (formerly Burma) more precisely. The five most important activities in Myanmar. OFF Borders for years, Myanmar can now be visited freely. Learn why T+L has named her "Destination of the Year".

The Myanmar Times | Top Travel Places

Easily accessible with an establishment to welcome visitors, they are regarded as the "must-see" Myanmar tourist attractions. You will still find visitors and people of pilgrimage here, but perhaps you will be less overcrowded than in some of the places mentioned above. Please be aware that although many of your travelling arrangements have been lifted, it is important to contact a tourist agency before leaving for an unfamiliar location.

You can visit other places in the county, but only with a prior permission, which should be requested from the Ministry of Hotels and Tourism. Don't post any itineraries until you have specified which approvals you need. For many areas, the approval will meet the requirement that you are traveling with a guidebay.

Please note that foreign nationals have to spend the night in listed accommodation.

Yangon Story

Yangon's story is connected with the story of the Shwedagon Pagoda. In Yangon, in the bustling city centre, in the new cities of the Orient, in the western industry area, in the rice paddies of the Nothern, you will see the gold shape of the Shwedagon on the skin that towers above the leaves of rainforest and the top of the skyscrapers.

Shwedagon' s foundation dates back to the Age of Enlightenment when Gaudama Buddha found the cause of universe sufferings and the path to their eradication. This was on the fourth Sunday after the Enlightenment, when two of Taphussa and Bhallika, Ukkalapa traders from the Mon country in Lower Myanmar, came before Buddha.

He was the maternal of the two brethren in an earlier life and had led them to the Buddha. Monkey pie was on offer from the brethren. When the Buddha had finished eating the cake, the brethren asked for a present. The Buddha led his hands over his forehead and gave them to his brethren, receiving eight hairs.

Buddha realized that the three former Buddhas had anchored their property in a couch on Singuttara Mountain in the land of the two brethren and asked them to do the same with the Holy Hairs. Returning home, the brethren landed at Piago Point on the southwest shore of Myanmar.

You sent a message to Reigning Ukkalapa about her coming with the holy hair. In Asitanzana, northwest of today's Yangon, the royal greeted the hair with a great asitanzana. He and the brethren were looking for a man who could tell them the whereabouts of the Singuttara Hill. Nobody knew the place, but Sakka, the Nats' kingdom, led them to the hill.

He became Tikun and Dagon and later Lagun in Mon. As the Sakka brethren asked Sakka where the hair should be shrunk, Sakka could not tell them where the former reliquaries were kept because they were so old and he was not so old. Sule Nat, however, knew where Kakusandha Buddha's rod was anchored, Yawhani Nat knew where Konagamana Buddha's dippers were anchored.

Two Sri Lankan friars, Sona and Uttara, took King Asoka to the cloakroom. He had the rainforest evacuated and the coupe mended. During the fifth A. Duttabaung worshiped the cemetery. King Anawratha of Bagan provided golden and silvery parasols in the eleventh centuary and constructed a coupe near the city of Twante over the Yangon River.

Dalla, today a city on the shore opposite Yangon, was then on Twante Ridge and was more important than Dagon. In those days Dagon was situated in low-lying, often water-covered area. The Sule Pagoda, now in the centre of Yangon, was standing on a small islet in the marsh, in the western part up to the Hlaing River and Yangon /River in the souther.

Shwedagon ( "Kyak Lagun" in Mon at that time) was accessed via a dam. A Bagan era vouvant in Tadagale just to the north of Yangon shows that the Lateris, at the end of which Shwedagon was located, was a site of action in the Bagan era and the crest could have created a street south to the Shwedagon Pagoda and the Dagon village behind it.

Following the fall of Bagan in the thirteenth and the ascent of Mon domination in the fourteenth centuries with the capitol Bago, Dagon became a place of some importance, not as a trading harbor, but as a center of spirituality. It was previously said that Dagon contained 32 practice buildings Binnya U (1348-83), Mon König of Bago built a 18 m high pit (60').

And Dagon was also a haven for lords who did not find Bago secure. The Binnya U's boy, Binnya Nwe, later King Rajadarit, who had a chronicles of his own, ran away to Dagon when he ran away with his half-sister Talamidaw. In those days Dagon was not a fortress made of tree trunks.

The successive Mon king of the fifteenth centuary increased the level of the marble by enclosing the former marble and beautifying the new one. In 1426-46, King Binnyayan (1426-46) cut off the mound and increased the size of the basis to five patios to maintain the heigth. This work was carried on by his follower Binnyawaru (1446-50), supported by his dam, queen Shin Saw Bu, the only ruling Queen of Myanmar.

They' increased the pagoda to 90. The first to gold plated the pagoda was Queen Shin Saw Bu. It devoted a large area of Gelbe countries covering practically all of contemporary Yangon. Their follower King Dhammazedi produced the engravings on the pagoda hill. And he also gave a giant bells that a Portuguese explorer took with him, but dropped into the stream and was not cured.

Tabinshwehti, who had captured Bago, laid a jewel on the pagoda in 1539. "In 1572 Bayinnaung converted the pagoda to 360' and had it reconstructed. From Bago Bayinnaung boarded a gold boat in the shape of the mythic Hindha birds, which was dominated by a gold tower. It was accompanied by a large navy of 300 gold paddlewheels and 1000 warboats that flooded the Bago River as far as the eyes could see.

There was a large navy floating towards Dagon. Gasparo Balbi came in 1583 "to the fair towns of Dagon, it is at last set, and directed southwest, and where they arrive twenty long footsteps, the affair of them is powerful and large chunks of wood - after we arrived, we began to walk on the right, a large road is about fifty places wide, in which we saw wood buildings gold-plated, and decorated with tender yards, according to their customs, where in Talapoins, who live their Firers.

" At the end of the sixteenth and beginning of the sixteenth centuries, the Shwedagon Fair attracted not only Myanmar, but also far-away countries such as Laos and Cambodia. Dagon was one of the main international trading fairs for Bago and Thanlyin. Also the Bago River sands off Thanlyin, and seagoing ships find it hard to find their way around the city.

So Dagon became the harbour of the election. When the Shwedagon Pagoda was founded. Alaungpaya' s capture of lower Myanmar is the second most important incident in the story of Dagon. In May 1775, the beginning of the city was marked when Alaungpaya, to remember his triumph, change his name from Dagon to Yangon, "Enmity Exhausted".

" Alaungpaya' s Yangon was essentially a wooden fort, with the southern façade of the stream, the site of today's No. 30 Road to the west, a line of about 3300' that crossed Maha Bandola Garden, Pansodan and Bo Aung Gyaw Road to the North and Theinbyu Road to the East.

Sule Pagoda to the eastern side of the city. Palisades were constructed of massive poles of wood from hardwood, which rose on averages up to a maximum of twelve ft in altitude, but in some places up to twenty ft. It was sheltered by a moat and stood not directly on the banks of the stream, but twenty or thirty metres away at the next point.

It had three east-west roads and two north-south roads. One of the east-west roads counted from the riverside was the Strand Road, also known as Kaladan, the road of aliens, because most of the aliens were living there, and above it the contemporary Merchant St., also known as "Pegu Palace" for the English, because the Myowun residency was there.

Sule Pagoda was standing on a small tip of a lantern which was separated from the city by a marsh. In 1782 it was said that the roads were not cobbled, but until 1795 they were well cobbled, and because cycling was not permitted within the city, the pavement stayed in a bearable condition.

There were three shipyards outside the city, the most important of which was the King's Wharf, which made it possible to ship loading/unloading without the use of sampan. High up on the river, beyond the city boundaries, was China Wharf, where China traders did biz.

Mehr zum Thema