fr/index_en.php] is one of the most important cities of the Occitan region in the southwest of France. Montpellier city guide, in the Languedoc-Roussillon region of southern France.
sspan class="mw-headline" id="History">History
French land register, which rules out 1 square kilometre (0.386 square metres mi or 247 acres) of lake, pond, glacier and estuary.... In Montpellier (French: Montpelhièr[mumpe???]) is a town in the south of France. And Montpellier is the seventh biggest town in France and the most rapidly expanding town in the last 25 years.
By 2014, 589,610 inhabitants will be living in the metropolitan area and 275,318 in the town itself. Almost a third of the inhabitants are enrolled at three colleges and three colleges outside the city's academic area. Situated on the southern shore of France on the Mediterranean Sea, it is the third biggest town on the Mediterranean Sea after Marseille and Nice.
Montpellier, first documented in 985, was established under a Guilhem ruling family, a small village that joined two villages and constructed a fort and a wall around the town. Both of the preserved walled spires, the Tour des Pins and the Tour de la Babotte, were later constructed around 1200.
MONPELLIER came to the fore in the twelfth centuries - as a commercial center with trade connections to the Mediterranean region and a wealth of Hebrew culture that thrived in the tradition of tolerant towards Muslims, Jews and Cathars - and later also towards its Protestants. In 1180 William VIII of Montpellier gave everyone the liberty to instruct in Montpellier medical science.
In 1220 Cardinal Konrad von Urach, Pope Honorius III's envoy, founded the town' s legal and medical departments; over the course of the ages, the medical department has been one of the most important centers for the study of medical science in Europe. Montpellier's importance culminated in this age.
In 1204, Peter II of Aragon married Marie of Montpellier, who received the town and its surrounding areas as part of her dowry, and in 1204 the king of Aragon took it over. In 1204, Montpellier received a Charta when Peter and Marie reaffirmed the city's tradition of freedom and gave it the right to elect twelve government commissions a year.
Montpellier, under the monarchs of Aragon, became a very important town, an important commercial center and the most important center for the commercial spices industry in the Kingdom of France. In those days it was the second or third most important town in France with around 40,000 residents before the Black Death.
The Montpellier family continued to hold the throne of Aragon until it was transferred to James III of Mallorca, who in 1349 bought it to Philip VI of France to collect money for his continued battle with Peter IV of Aragon. Pope Urban VIII gave Montpellier a new convent consecrated to Saint Peter in the fourteenth and seventeenth centuries, remarkable for the very exceptional veranda of his hermitage, carried by two high, somewhat rocket-like tower.
As its importance grew, the town eventually won a runner who in 1536 relocated from Maguelone to Maguelone, and the vast convent shrine became a magnificent palace. Jacques C?ur settled in the town in 1432 and developed it into an important commercial center until Marseille in 1481 shaded it in this part.
During the Reformation in the sixteenth centuries, many of the people of Montpellier became Protestants (or a Huguenot, as they were called in France) and the town became a centre of Protestant opposition to the Catholic throne of France. King Louis XIII sieged the town in 1622 after a two-month besiege (siege of Montpellier) and then built the citadel of Montpellier to protect it.
Louis XIV made Montpellier the capitol of Bas Languedoc, and the little village began to improve itself by constructing the Promenade of Peyrou, the Esplanade and a large number of buildings in the historical area. Following the French Revolution, the Hérault turned the French metropolis into the capitol of the much smaller Hérault. At the beginning of the nineteenth centuries the village flourished from the viniculture that it was able to grow all year round thanks to the sunlight.
French winemaking enabled the Montpellier population to become very prosperous until a fungus infection reached the vines in the 1890s and farmers were no longer able to cultivate the grape varieties needed for winemaking. After that, the town grew because it received Algerian and other North African migrants after Algeria's French sovereignty.
Montpellier lies in the 21th centuries between the seventh and eighth biggest cities of France. Recently, the town has had another increase in inhabitants, mainly due to the presence of college leavers, who make up about a third of Montpellier's people. It is the Faculty of Health that has inspired the flourishing academic culture of the city, but many other colleges are well anchored in the seaside town, which has evolutions such as Corum and Antigone that are attracting more and more people.
In Montpellier you find 170 km (106 mi) from Marseille, 242 km (150 mi) from Toulouse and 748 km (465 mi) from Paris. Montpellier's highest point is the Place du Peyrou at a height of 57 meters (187 ft). Montpellier is situated on two hilly areas, Montpellier and Montpelliéret, so that some of its roads have great height variations.
In Montpellier there is a Mediterranean temperate zone (Köppen Csa) with warm, humid winters and rather warm, rather arid summers. Montpellier has a very good weather. Montpellier has been subdivided into seven formal quarters since 2001, which in turn are subdivided into subquarters. Montpellier Centre: Old Altstadt (Kamm), Komödie, Bahnhöfe, Faubourg Boutonnet, Saint-Charles, Faubourg Saint-Jaume, Peyrou, Les Arceaux, Figuerolles, Faubourg du Courreau, Gambetta, Clémenceau, Méditerranée, Strasbourg Boulevard, Le Triangle, Polygone, Antigone, Nouveau Monde, Parc à Ballons, Les Aubes, Les Beaux-Arts, Saint-Lazare.
The Cevennes: The Cevennes, Alco, Le Petit Barde, Pergola, Saint-Clément, Clémentville, Las Rebès, La Chamberte, La Martelle, Montpellier-Dorf, Les Grisettes, Les Grèzes. Montpellier is known for its rich past and for its important people, legacy and influences. In Montpellier there are also important Algerian, Morrocan and Italien populations.
Montpellier's arm is stamped with a coat of arms: It is the coat of the lords of Montpellier (Guilhem). In the center of the town is the Place de la Comédie with the Opéra Comédie from 1888. The old town has a considerable number of hotels (e.g. mansions).
Most of the historical center of Montpellier houses (called Écusson because they have the form of a shield) have mediaeval origins and were rebuilt between the sixteenth and eighteenth century. A number of houses along Rue Foch and Place de la Comédie were constructed in the nineteenth cent.
Rue du Bras de Fer (Iron Arm Road) is very characteristic of Montpellier in the Middle Ages. Located in the heart of the town, the ancient church is one of the few in Europe with a unique religious tradition, dating from the twelfthury. Porte du Peyrou, a Peyrou Arc de Triomphe constructed at the end of the seventeenth centuries, and Place Royal du Peyrou, constructed in the seventeenth centuries, are the highest point of Ecusson.
Tour des Pins, the only surviving of 25 spires of the mediaeval town wall, was constructed around 1200. Tour de la Babotte, a mediaeval lighthouse converted into an observation post in the eighteenth cenury. Saint Clément aqueduct, constructed in the eighteenth centuary. Montpellier University is one of the oldest in the whole wide range, established in 1160, and was awarded a certificate in 1220 by Cardinal Conrad of Urach and endorsed by Pope Nicholas IV in a Pontifical Bulle of 1289.
She was oppressed during the French Revolution, but rebuilt in 1896. We do not know exactly when the literary colleges that evolved into the Montpellier Art Department were created; they may have been a straight extension of the Gallo-Roman one. Placentinus, a physician from the Bologna universities, who came to Montpellier in 1160, gave lectures in two different period and passed away in 1192, created the legal group.
Faculty of Health may have been established by a Muslim Spanish faculty of health alumnus; it is certain that there were already 1137 distinguished doctors in Montpellier. In 1289 Pope Nicholas IV published a bull which brought all the colleges together to form a single college under the leadership of the runner, but which indeed had a high degree of independence.
King John's two epistles show that in January 1350 a theological department in Montpellier was independent of the monasteries. With a bull of 17 December 1421, Martin V conferred a religious canon on this department and linked it intimately with the legal department. When Calvinism under the rule of Henry II of France took full ownership of the town, the Department of History vanished in the sixteenth and sixteenth centuries.
In 1622 Louis XIII restored Montpellier to regal rule, but the rivalry between Dominicans and Jesuits seriously affected the wealth of the department, which vanished with the revolution. Guillaume de Nogaret, Registrar of Philip the Fair, Guillaume de Grimoard, later to become Pontiff under the name Urban V, and Pedro de Luna, Benedict XIII Benedict XIII Antope.
However, after the fifteenth and fifteenth centuries this department deteriorated, as did the art department, even though it was under Henry IV of France for a period of times under its Casaubon masters. Montpellier Medical College owes its great prosperity to the judgement of the Guilhems, the city' s masters, with which every certified doctor could teach there; there was no firm limitation on the number of professors, the number of classes was increased, and there was a great richness of instruction.
Mr Ribalais studied at Montpellier Polytechnic. During the French Revolution, the presence of the French Department of Health was not interrupted. In 1889, on the eve of the 6th anniversary of the Université de France, the French government declared its plan to reorganise the Universités de la Province in France, which had now been completed. stop.
Montpellier - Méditerranée airport is situated in the Fréjorgues area, in the Mauguio district, south-east of Montpellier. Transports de l'agglomération de Montpellier (TaM) handles the city's transport, which includes a 56 kilometre long streetcar system with four routes and several car parks. The line 4 encircles the center and acts as a connecting line between the different branches of the streetcar system.
The 11th leg and the 12th leg of the Tour de France 2007 started in Montpellier. There are a large number of athletic professionals in the city: Hérault Montpellier Hérault Rally, from the top 14 who used to compete at Stade Sabathé and now at Altrad Stadium Rally Team.
Ligue 1 Montpellier HSC, who plays at the Stade de la Mosson Federation Soccer. On 20 May 2012, MHSC became champion of France. The Montpellier Agglomération Handball is a hand ball company that plays in the France Nationalliga. The Montpellier water polo ball plays in the national and European leagues. Montpellier Barracudas de Montpellier is a basketball player in the Élite Division, a top basketball division in France.
This year Montpellier was one of the FIBA EuroBasket 2015 hosting cities. Since 2010, the Open Sud de France has been held in the town, which also hosted the XXXI World Rhythmic Gymnastics Championships. Philippidès Stadion, the most important athletic arena, is the property of the University of Montpellier.
It is a center for culture as there are many student. In Montpellier there are two large concerthalls: The Le Corum Culture and Convention Center has three auditoria. Montpellier Radio France and Montpellier Radio and Television Festivals is a Montpellier based annual event for operas and other musical activities. The majority of these are free and take place in the historical inner courts of the town or in the contemporary Le Corum auditoria.
Cinemed, the Mediterranean International Montpellier Cinema Fest, takes place every autumn and is the second biggest cinema event in France after Cannes. Since 1979 more than 200 feature and shorts, documentation, animated movies, trailer and a specific programme of students' movies have been shown. The Montpellier is a partnership with:
It was Montpellier where he was born: Montpelier was christened the US capitol of Vermont because the Americans had greatly appreciated the French who had supported their revolutionary war against the British. A number of other US towns are also called Montpelier. There are also places called Montpelliers/Montpeliers in Australia, Canada, South Africa and the Caribbean.
Montpellier Tourist Information and Montpellier Tourism. Information and tourism in Montpellier. University of Montpellier and Studies in Montpellier - International Student Regional Guide. Montpellier History Facts and Timeline: Montpellier, Languedoc-Roussillon, France". www.world-guides.com. "The Guardian." "Climate data of the Montpellier station" (in French).
France Meteo. Climate Languedoc-Roussillon. France Meteo. Frejorgues (34) - height 3m" (in French). "Montpellier." "The University of Montpellier in the test of merger - Journal La Marseillaise". It'?s Montpellier-agglo. com (in French). _GO ( "a big paper in the south of France"): "76,000 Montpellier station registrations were made in 2008 and used 800,000 time.
"Paris, Orléans and Montpellier win the 'Bicycle Trophy 2007' for their achievements in bike sharing programmes". The Montpellier Mediterranean Film Festival - Montpellier Tourist Office. Montpelier-france.com. Website of the town of Heidelberg. Montpellier is celebrating the global scale with its 10 partner towns. "The Montpellier cartoonist Guy Delisle will move from the family cocoon to Chechnya".
Explanation of the character of the Montpelier & Clifton Hill Conservation Area" (PDF). The Brighton & Hove City Council (Department of Design & Conservation). Montpellier Guillems: "Montpellier." Southeast France (3rd edition).