Meiji Mura MuseumThe Meiji Mura Museum
Meiji Mura: Inuyama Tours
The Meiji Mura (???, which means "Meiji Village") is one of Japan's most prominent open-air museum with over sixty monuments from the Meiji period (1868-1912). Inuyama, an hours outside of Nagoya, the Museum of the Amusement Parks is situated in an extensive forest area next to the Iruka Pond. The Meiji Mura is one of the most popular open-air museum in Japan.
At least half a full working days are needed to discover the extensive museum area and to uncover all its objects. Only a few of the Meiji era structures are surviving in Japan today, as most of them were either damaged during the Great Depression or were abandoned due to urban renewal. Meiji Mura has moved a prestigious building collections from all over the countryside to conserve its architectonic and historical legacy.
A number of houses have been transformed into cafés, sweets shops or traditonal gamestands. There' s also a local coach that goes along the town, a tramway and a steamer. The Meiji Mura is in Inuyama, about an hours outside of Nagoya.
At Nagoya station, take the Meitetsu Inuyama line to Inuyama station (30 min, 550 Danish kyen each way) and change to a Meitetsu coach to Meiji Mura (20 min, 420 Danishen, 1-3 sailings per hour). Japan Rail Pass does not apply to Meitetsu Railways and busses.
Meiji was a time of fast changes in Japan. It was after hundreds of years of insulation that Japan began to absorb Western ideals, which included architectural style and technique. Meiji mura was founded by Yoshir? Taniguchi (?? Yoshir? Taniguchi Yoshir? 1904-79), an Architects, and Motoo Tsuchikawa (???? Tsuchikawa Moto-o, 1903-74), then Vice-President and later Chairman of the Nagoya Railroad (Meitetsu).
During the trip on the Yamanote Line in Tokyo, Taniguchi bemoaned the view of the Rokumeikan tear down, a landmark of Meiji architectural work. It called on its schoolmate Tsuchikawa to work with him to conserve a number of monuments of historic or historic importance in the Meiji West. The Nagoya Railroad funded a charity on July 16, 1962.
Meiji mura was opened on 18 March 1965 on the shore of Lake Iruka, which was run under Nagoya Railroad with Taniguchi as museum manager with 15 outbuildings. Meiji-mura' s aim is to conserve these historical early samples of West African architectural styles in conjunction with traditional building methods and their use. By the way, many of the structures were rescued from being demolished during the postwar era, another era of change and fast advancement in Japan's development.
Although still run by Nagoya Railroad, a wholly owned affiliate was established in 2003 to supervise it and the near-by Little World. Because of the recent economic collapse of the Nagoya Railroad, the project's very existence is in doubt. Remarkable historic or culturally significant structures, which include those of later periods, have been conserved, among them some of them in Japan.
Nearly all the other monuments are listed as material heritage. This museum contains edifices from Hawaii and Seattle in the United States, but also from Brazil. The 67 structures (as of 2005) include a functioning historical postal service.
Although some of them are a little empty, others have exhibitions showing the story of the house and the era, antique furnishings and other exhibitions. Between 1967 and 1985, the Imperial Hotel entry and foyer was rescued and relocated from Tokyo. Although only the entry and vestibule have been preserved, it is the biggest edifice in Meiji Mura.
Meiji Mura also preserves the Lafcadio Hearn Lafcadio cottage from Shizuoka (1868), the St. John's Church from Kyoto (1907) by James McDonald Gardiner and the old St. Francis Xavier Catholic Cathedral from Kyoto (1890). Renowned people from Japan have been serving as volunteer chef.