Maulbronn MonasteryMonastery Maulbronn
The monastery was designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1993. Today the ensemble, encircled by towers and a gateway to the towers, accommodates the Maulbronn townhall and other administration buildings, a policestation and several canteens. In the monastery itself there is a Protestant seminar in the Württemberg traditions and a residential home.
In 1138 the Cistercians had already founded a property in Eckenweihar, near today's Mühlacker, which had been given to the order by a free chevalier by the name of Walter von Lomersheim. On March 23, 1138, twelve friars and an indefinite number of laity under the leadership of Abbot Diether left the Abbey of Neubourg in Alsace for Eckenweihar at the wish of Lomersheim.
It was not suitable for a monastery, so Günther von Henneberg, bishop of Speyer, handed over the fief of Mulinbrunn from the monastery Hirsau to the parish Eckenweihar and transferred it there in 1147. 5 ][a] According to Cistercians, they chose to use a burro to find drinking waters and build the monastery at its current site when it either hit the ground with rock or drunk from a brook.
Its etymological name "Mulenbrunnen", the roots of Maulbronn, shows that the monastery was probably established on the site of a fountain and a water mill. In 1156 the monastery became a bailiwick of the Holy Roman Empire and was upheld in 1332. The monastery was, however, still under the patronage of the bishop of Speyer, who conferred the name of Unter-Vogt on his pastor Heinrich von Enzberg, who was to appear in the documentary as patron of the monastery from 1236.
In the following centuries, Maulbronn Monastery sometimes fought fiercely with those of Enzbergs, who tried to use their monastery's defences to extend their own basis of influence. 1504 Ulrich, Duke of Württemberg, besieged Maulbronn and conquered it after seven consecutive wars of succession in Landshut.
The monastery was plundered by the rebels in 1525, during the German Peasants' War. For a while their head, Jäcklein Rohrbach, remained in Maulbronn and told Hans Wunderer about the disorganisation of the peasantry, which could not make a decision on whether to tear down or release the cloister. Through Rohrbach's prayers, Maulbronn Monastery still existed today.
As the Duchy of Württemberg became Lutheran, the friars of the monastery were no longer allowed by the state' s own authorities. At first, the monastery was to be a collective monastery for pensioned friars from all other Württemberg cloisters. The monastery and the monastery of Pairis in Alsace relocated to the monastery in 1537 and the monastery of Pairis passed away in Einsiedeln in 1547.
In 1546-47, after the Schmalkaldic League was defeated, Ulrich had to give the monastery back to the Cistercians. 1556 he enacted the Württemberger Klosterordnung, a regulation which was to provide the foundation for a regular educational system in all other male abbeys in Württemberg. For a long period of legal dispute over the transformation of the monastery into a college continued, and the emperor twice tried to turn this about.
Between 1548-1555 and 1630-1649 the emperor's decrees of repatriation allowed the repatriation of the friars to the monastery due to the provisional police conditions of that age. Abbey property increased mainly through contributions and foundations. By the end of this period, the monastery owned 20 towns known as monastery stains.
Apart from the revenues from the immediate vicinity of the monastery there were in Illingen, Knittlingen and Unteröwisheim also metallurgical enterprises and 6000 hectares of wood, distributed over 25 towns, which were managed by the abbay. Besides the tenth, the monastery was granted rural grants for extra revenue, which gave it an immense revenue, as the scale of the abbey's grain store shows.
The monastery had seven nursing homes in Illingen, Kirchheim am Neckar, Knittlingen, Ötisheim, Speyer, Unteröwisheim and Wiernsheim to administer this revenue. It was looted repeatedly: first by the chevaliers under Franz von Sickingen in 1519, then again during the German Peasant Wars six years later. The monastery was secularised by Duke Ulrich in 1534, but the Cistercians gained back power under Charles V - and emperor's approval.
1630 the monastery was given back to the Cistercians by armed means, whereby Christoph Schaller von Sennheim became an Abbot. However, this restauration was short-lived, as Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden left the Swedish friars two years later with the return of a Lutheran monk in 1633; the seminar was re-opened in the following year, but the Cistercians under Schaller also came back in 1634.
In 1648, under the Treaty of Westphalia, the monastery declared its support for Protestantism; Buchinger withdrew. In the course of German mediatization in 1807, the monastery was secularised by King Frederick I of Württemberg, thus abolishing its almost independent status; the seminar fused the following year with the von Bebenhausen, today's Evangelical Seminar of Maulbronn and Blaubeuren.
This monastery, which is prominent in Hermann Hesse's novel Unter dem Rad, was added to the World Heritage List in 1993. "Maulbronn is the most total survivor of a monastery in Europe, especially because of the survivability of its vast system of dams and canals.
In order to depict Baden-Württemberg, a picture of the abbey will appear on the front of the 2013 2-euro memorial medal. Map of the monastery. The Maulbronn monastery was established and erected in 1147 in the Romanic direction and was then located in Swabia. Towards the end of the twelfth centuary, Cistercian Gothic architectural styles were inspired by the use of less stones than the Romance ones, and the Order began to spread them from the north-east of France.
In Maulbronn, the "master of paradise", an anonymised Parisian builder, built the first example of Gothic style in Germany: the porch of the cathedral, called "Paradies". "Later Gothic came to Maulbronn from the end of the thirteenth to the middle of the fourteenth centuries and returned to the romanticism of the nineteenth cent.
Not much has survived in the 19th and 20th centuries, such as the doorway and its originals, but the monastery as a whole is mainly due to the Dukes of Württemberg, who built it in the sixteenth cent. Today Maulbronn is regarded as the best conserved mediaeval monastery grounds in the northern part of the Alps.
Maulbronn is based on a cleverly devised system of managing it. Dewatering the wetland around the monastery and excavating a number of channels, the friars built about 20 pools and seas and drained the Salzach, a small river, under the monastery to build its canalisation.
It was possible to control the level of the waters in these ponds so that the Maulbronn friars could drive their mill, but also breed food and trade-growing. b ] A large part of the system is still in use and it is part of the UNESCO address of Maulbronn. It was sheltered by a rock face, a bridge door and five spires donated by the monastery.
Even though the Cistercians forbade the use of heating rooms, Maulbronn has a lime factory (room 10 on the plan), which was fired by a fire in a domed room under the bottom of the veal factory. These show the worship of the kings, the entry of the Maulbronn monastery founded by Walter von Lomersheim as a laity friar and the coat of arms of the nobility who contributed money for the cloister.
From the early sixteenth to the eighteenth centuries, the Dukes of Württemberg ruled Maulbronn, and Duke Ludwig III built a pleasure palace here. Cistercians were not allowed to eat flesh, but the consumption of seafood was allowed, as they were classed as "river vegetables". "The Maulbronn friars bred their catfish, especially the specular carps, in different waters according to their type, height and ages and then traded them to the neighbouring towns.
"The Maulbronn Monastery". Called up on 13 June 2018 "Maulbronn Monastery". State castles and gardens. State castles and gardens. Called up on July 13, 2018. "Gardens". kloster-maulbronn.de. State castles and gardens. State castles and gardens. 15 juillet 2018. châteaux et jardins d'état.
15 juillet 2018. châteaux et jardins d'état. State castles and gardens. 16 juillet 2018. châteaux et jardins d'état. State castles and gardens. Accessed July 16, 2018.