class="mw-editsection-bracket">[a href="/w/index.php?title=Matagalpa,_Nicaragua&action=edit§ion=1" title="Abschnitt bearsbeiten : Provenance of the name">edit]
The town of Matagalpa (Spanish pronunciation: [mata??alpa]) in Nicaragua is the main town of the Matagalpa area. It has a total of 200,000 inhabitants, according to the 2012 survey, while the division's total resident base is more than 604,900. It is the 4th biggest town in Nicaragua, the biggest in the inland and one of the most commercial outside Managua.
The fourth most important town in Nicaragua, Matagalpa is known as the "Pearl of the North" and "Land of Eternal Spring". "in the Apante area of Matagalpa. Jeronimo Perez, a local history scholar who came to this area in 1855-1856, says that the name Matagalpa Cabeza Principal or Pueblo Grande (Big City) is derived from the words of the Matagalpa Indic language:
Maya=Head, Calpul* Townn- But according to the Matagal Spanish philologist Guillermo Kiene, a Roman Catholic pastor and minister who was living from 1898 to 1959, the term Matagalpa comes from the Sumo tongue and means "let's go where the cliffs are". "There are other definitions of the term Matagalpa: -Here beside the waters and -Among Mountain ("Aqui junto al agua" y "Entre Montañas").
This description probably refers to the geographical position of the town, which is situated next to the Grand River of Matagalpa and is also wonderfully encircled by hills. First Matagalpa was an Indian town. Matagalpa Indians had their own languages, which have been extinct since 1875. An 1855 paper containing 97 words and sentences from the Matagalpa idiom can be found in the Daniel G. Brinton section of the American Philosophical Library in Philadelphia.
Matagalpa made pottery in the Ceramica Negra and Naranja Segovia styles and also constructed sculptures of stones depicting their chieftains and soldiers. The Spaniards were afraid of them because they were very courageous and efficient with their bow and other arm. The Spaniards submitted them 300 years later, even at the independence of Nicaragua in 1821, there were many free Matagalpa Indians in the main Nicaraguan hills.
By 1856, they were crucial in defeating William Walker's Filibustler at the San Jacinto battles of 14 September 1856, where a convoy of 60 Matagalpa Indians with bows and arrows was fighting alongside the Nicaraguan patriots who won this fight that ended the Walker adventures in Nicaragua.
This search has been acknowledged by history and archaeology, and there is a pop ular move that will proclaim the Matagalpa Indians national heroes at the Congress of the Republic next September 2011. Matagalpa road, April 1988. Medagalpa was an established city in India when the first Spaniards came to this area in 1528 to find a way for the waters to pass through to the "North Sea", the Caribbean.
Nicaragua's colonisation in Spain came from the Pacific Ocean, which was known as the South Pacific by the Spaniards. The city of Matagalpa lies in the watershed between the Pacific and the Caribbean. About 1840 in the vicinity of Matagalpa silver was found. Besides many Spaniards and Mestizos it also drew Germans, Americans and Britons.
The two best-known immigrant of the time were Ludwig Elster (from Hanover) and his spouse Katharina Braun (from the Black Forest), who cultivated the first local coffees, the latter of which were quickly marketed in Germany. More than 120 Europeans, many of whom were Matagalpan wives, were drawn to the area by the café, and many of their offspring still remain in the area.
Also in 1923 some Danes came to Matagalpa and set tling in the uplands. Seatagalpa was also the haven for many Nicaraguans who escaped the Tennessean filibustering tactician William Walker's 1856 incursion of much of the land and state. At Matagalpa, on September 14, 1856, the Ejército del Septentrión ("Army of the North") was organised by the Matagalpa nobles. It won the battle of San Jacinto with the support of 60 Matagalpa Indians and helped to end the reign of Walker.
Also Matagalpa was the place of birth of Nazario Vega, governor and architect of the cathedral, Bartolomé Martínez, president of Nicaragua, 1923-24, and Carlos Fonseca Amador, founding father of the Sandinista Front in 1961. Matagalpa is currently the second largest département in Nicaragua after Managua and the most diverse in terms of manufacturing.
In recent years Matagalpa has seen a large flow of immigrants (mainly farmers) from other divisions, resulting in a strain on infrastructures and the milieu. There is a wonderful scenic road in Matagalpa that begins in the town of Matagalpa and stretches 30 km to the town of Jinotega. Americans and Europeans descend from the first colonists also return to see the historic houses of their forefathers, one of Matagalpa's most important productions.
And Matagalpa is a very well diverse area. The company manufactures and sells meat, cheeses, coffee, cocoa, fruit and vegetable, as well as onion, tomato and vegetable produce. Medagalpa is known for its good coffees, cows, dairy produce, vegetable, flowers as well as mountain food, which are loved by ecological tourists. Much of the Matagalpa business is dependent on ecotourism.
In Matagalpa and the north of Nicaragua, natural hiking, walking and excursion are very popular. A large scale aquatic programme was recently concluded. The Federal Republic of Germany financed and constructed a drinking as well as a new wastewater system. Matagalpa, together with Jinotega near by, enjoys "eternal spring" or all year round in vernal conditions.
The Matagalpa is more than 700 metres (2,297 ft) above sealevel with an mean annual temp. of 26 to 28 °C (79 to 82 °F). He is Matagalpa's partner: