Mandalay PalaceThe Mandalay Palace
The palace walls on the ditch with Mandalay Hill in the distant area. The Mandalay Palace was the main home of King Mindon and King Thibaw, the last two kingdoms of the state. On November 28, 1885, the building stopped being the King's palace and headquarters when, during the Third Anglo-Burmese War, Burma Field Force forces came into the palace and conquered the King's people.
It was the palace grounds of Fort Dufferin, the name of the then vice-king of India. The Burmese regarded the palace as the most important icon of independence and identification throughout the entire period of colonisation in Britain. During the Second World War, much of the palace site was demolished by bombs from the Allies; only the King's mints and the watchtower were preserved.
The palace was reconstructed in the 1990' s using state-of-the-art material. Today the Mandalay Palace is a prime Mandalay icon and an important travel site. Mandalay Palace's official name is Mya Nan San Kyaw (??????????????[mja Nan Sun t???]; "The Famed Royal Emerald Palace").
Also known as ????????????????? ([?wè nán ?? d?í]), or the "Great Golden Palazzo Royale". This is a typical Mandalay palace in Burma during the Konbaung family. and plundered the palace and burnt down the King's Book. Burma's regal insignia were taken as prey and exhibited at the South Kensington Museum (now V&A Museum, London).
They were brought back to Burma in 1964 as a good will gesture The British re-named the palace grounds in Fort Dufferin and used it as a military base. In World War II, the palace was transformed into a supplies camp by the Japanese and lightly burned down by Allied-bombings.
The only survivors were the King's mints and the watchtower. This is the only preserved building of the former wood palace. From these twelve gateways, the entrance door was the centre gateway in the eastern face overlooking the Great Hall of the Audience and the Lion Chronicle in the Palace.
Only three sides of the peak are surmounted by crenellations, while the inside of the peak that faces the door remains open and free. The King Thibaw's king ship on the Mandalay palace moat in 1885. Clock tower, c. 1903. Reliquary tower, c. 1903. The Tooth-Relic Tower or Swedawzin (?????????????) is located just across the street from the clock tower to the north.
The reliquary tower, a good example of Burma's typical architectural style, consists of three parts - first, a low cellar; second, a rectangle shaped stone wall or a patio overlooking a reliquary room with a three-staged pyatthate ceiling; the whole thing is topped by the customary finale and the hill. There is a large and charming spiral at the lower end of each cap; this type of decorative staircase, with small variations in detail, can be seen all over Burma, either in bricks or timber.
Even though the edifice is known as a dental reliquary, there was never a dental reliquary anchored in it. It was constructed because it was the custom to have such a lighthouse in the King's town, a custom from the Bayinnaung period. It is situated a few hundred meters north-east of the mausoleum.
The coin was used as a troop bread shop for several years after the UK was annexed. This was one of the few palace structures that was able to survive the bombings of the Allies during the Second World War. Nanmyintsaung (????????????????) or the watchtower, which is overlooked by a seven-level pyatthate, dominates the castle area.
1 ] The king and queen sometimes climbed the steeple to see the wonderful view of the land with its rivers, billions and water. From there it is said that Queen Supayalat saw the invasion of Mandalay by English forces in November 1885. This watchtower also survive the bombings by the Allies during the Second World War.
The hall itself consists of three parts: the northern (or left) audience hall and the southern (or right) audience hall; they were named so because, when the king sat on the seat and looked eastward, the first was right and the second was right of him.
The two parts or leaves are linked by a nave that runs from the stairs to the banister around the perch; this nave was named the Central Audience Hall because it was surrounded by the right and left halls. As a whole, the Great Audience Hall is located 77.
This building was achieved by wood carvings and gold plating of all parts of the roof - with the exception of the gilded panelling between the two rooftops, i.e. the gable, the ship's planks and the fascia floor. The palace had eight enthrones, of which the lion throne (????????????, Sihasana Palanka) was the largest, and as such much more elaborate and completed than the others; an accurate reproduction of the present one in the palace was once in the Hluttaw.
Of course, the king alone had the right to seat on it; and for anyone else this would be a case of treachery; the fact was that anyone who sat on that seat was virtually the king if he could keep the righteous heir out. There are two lotus flowers on the top and two on the other side; this design is no different from an average Buddha-painted alter; but in the middle, where it is narrower, i.e. where the two lotus flowers intersect, there is a small ribbon with a series of recesses, with a slightly bigger one above; in these recesses were small lion figurines, next to the two large ones, which can now be seen on either side of the thrust.
The entrance to the chair is via a staircase in the room behind, which is closed by a gilded steel grid sash. Among the other enthrones were the Hintha Thron (??????????????), Elephant Thron (Gajasana) in Byedaik (Privy Council Hall), Thinga Thron, Stag Thron (Migasana), Peacock Thron (Marurasana), Lilienthron (?????????????) and Bienenthron (Bhamarasana).
Husannandawgyi (??????????????????) or Glass Palace, is the biggest and as one of the most attractive flats of the palace. It' thought to be King Mindon's main residence. As with all thrones, it is subdivided into two rooms by a timber partitions. The eastern room contains the bee thron (Bhamarasana), so named because it was decorated with bee figurines in the small alcoves at the foot of the base.
It was here that the appointment of the Princess and the King's Bride took place. Mindon's main room was the western room, formerly subdivided into several smaller ones, and no other person was permitted to stay there, except for the four main queenesses, each of whom was assigned a room near the king's bedchamber, which was a small room dominated by a pythat, or a small tower made up of seven superimposed rooftops, similar to the golden tip above the lion's throne room on the casting of the palace.
In the Glass Palace the court women were alternately located in the western room, in order to await it. Mandalay Palace" (PDF). Mandalay. andalay and other cities of the past in Burma.