The city has been under siege since July 2015 by a combined force of Syriac powers faithful to Bashar al-Assad, Prime Minister of Syria, and the Hezbollah ally of Lebanon  In December 2015, MSF said that 23 persons had been killed by hunger after a complete stalemate since 18 October had hindered any kind of human assistance or nutrition.
United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-Moon voiced concern about the situations in Madaya and other sieged areas of Syria and cautioned that the use of hunger as a weapons in conflicts was a criminal act of war. 6. Madaya, Syria side. Khushbu Shah, Nick Paton Walsh and Peter Wilkinson, CNN (January 7, 2016).
"Madaya: Kyrgyzstan allows help to the sieged town - CNN.com". Siege and starving to death in Madaya; immediate evacuation and health care indispensable to saving lives". Retracted 2016-01-14. "U.N. Chief warns Syria, "Hunger is a war crime. Retracted 2016-01-23. "United Nations News - UN demands human rights clearance to sieged areas in Syria, welcoming new government approvals".
Retracted 2016-01-14. Assistant Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Deputy Emergency Relief Coordinator, Kyung-Wha Kang Security Council Briefing on Syria, New York, 15 janvier 2016. Retracted 2016-01-23. A call to end Syria's suffering[EN/AR/FR/SP/RU/CH]". Retracted 2016-01-23. Kareem Shaheen (January 11, 2016). "lorries from the auxiliary flotilla are coming to the sieged city of Madaya, Syria."
Released January 11, 2016.
Two years under besiegement and it ends with expulsion' | Syria News
In Syria, the handover of inhabitants of two rebel-occupied cities has started, in return for evicting rebels and civil servants from two other cities under an eviction deal. Both Zabadani and Madaya, both near the Damascus region, are under siege by the armies of Bashar al-Assad, President of Syria, and allies of the Hezbollah, the Shiite group.
As part of a co-ordinated demographic exchange involving a team of four cities, bus convoys began to transport passengers from both cities on Friday. Houssam Mahmmoud, a Madayan, was in one of the 60 busses that brought the civilian passengers to Idlib on Friday. "Further sailings scheduled for Friday have been rescheduled for Sunday.
We' re running like mad to find our coaches. "but has been rescheduled at least four time. Ahead of the popular transport, at least 50 busses came to Zabadani and Madaya, while 100 busses and 20 ambulance cars reached Fouaa and Kefraya on Thursday.
"They were the first busses to leave Idlib. "The people who move from Zabadani and Madaya have a much longer journey through state-controlled areas because of a shortage of confidence between the two sides. "Those who have attained Aleppo will remain where they are until the others who come from Zabadani and Madaya arrive at the areas under the rebels' control.
"We have at least 7,500 expected to evacuate, at least 1,500 of them insurgents," he said. Syrian Human Rights Observatory (SOHR), the UK-based surveillance group, said that at least 2,100 inhabitants, among them rebels, are to be displaced from Zabadani and Madaya and transferred to Idlib.
It is part of a negotiated Iran and Qatar agreement to evacuate more than 10,000 persons and exchange several hundred inmates. The UN reports that at least 4.7 million refugees live in hard-to-reach and sieged areas in Syria and are at serious risk of being protected.
By the time the syndic war begins its 7th year, more than 465,000 lives had been lost in the fights, more than one million wounded and over 12 million Syrians - half of the country's pre-war populace - driven out of their houses.