Lucerne Covered BridgeCovered bridge Lucerne
mw headline" id="Historique">Historie[a href="/w/index.php?title=Kapellbr%C3%BCcke&action=edit§ion=1" title="Edit section" : History">edit>
This one of the renovated interiors shows a massacre. Shelves on which the pictures were drawn were from 150 cm (59 in) to 181 cm (71 in) width and 85 cm (33 in) to 95 cm (37 in) width. The majority of the plates were made of fir tree tops, only a few of lime and maps.
These pictures were taken during the Counter-Reformation with motifs to promote the Catholic Church. Most of the pictures were donated by the members of the municipal government, who were able to display their own name. Canvases ran along the entire bridge, from the lives and deaths of Lucerne's St. Leger to those of the other one.
360° 360° 360° walk across the Chapel Bridge.
Guidebook with photos
The Chapel Bridge and Water Tower marks the top end of the mediaeval town of Lucerne, where the water of Lake Lucerne flows into the Reuss. Kapellbrücke and Wasserturm were among the oldest mediaeval walls of Lucerne. At one time, the northerly head of the Chapel Bridge led directly into St. Peter's Chapel.
The water-tube of Lucerne was used as a repository, archives and treasure chamber until the nineteenth cen. For this reason, the lighthouse is not open to the general public and cannot be seen from the inside. The chapel bridge initially had an overhang from the north bridge head to the Hofkirche, the oldest in Lucerne connected to a Benedictine cloister.
However, this second part of the bridge was superseded by a lake front in 1834 (Schweizerhofquai). Approximately two third of the chapel bridge was burned down on August 18, 1993, just after 12 o'clock. The only things that were rescued were the piers, the bridge heads and the water tower. However, within one year the Chapel Bridge was completely renovated.
Fire started on August 18 after 12:00. By mid-fifty a visitor alerted the fire department that a ship was on fire under the bridge and the bridge itself. Extensive analyses later showed that the fire on the bridge itself started (perhaps through a cigarette) and entered the vessel from there.
However, after the fire the park of the boat under the bridge was forbidden. Since the Chapel Bridge is made of dried timber, large parts of it were in full bloom when the fire department reached it within a few minute. A photograph with the carbonized remnants of the roof structure in the central part of the bridge (where the fire started ) and a detailled drawing of the use of the fire department gear can be found here:
TTLF = tanker = tripple pump combo, watertower = watertrower). Of the 110 paintings under the umbrella from 1611, 85 were damaged by the 1993 fire and only 25 were rescued or renovated. Some of the others were substituted by paintings from the second part of the bridge, which have been kept safe since 1834.
The old paintings are superseded by contemporary paintings with motifs of carnivals during the period of fair. It is a place for the creativeness of today's people and can be protected from thoughtless'attacks' with all kinds of funny material like colour and goo balls, which are used nowadays in carnivals.
If you are interested in the old painting, do not select the period of carnivals for your stay in Lucerne. Reprint of essential parts and images in print or electronical format only with the express permission of the publisher.