s=" mw-headline" id="Historique">Histoire
The Limoges (;French pronunciation: Limòtges or Lemòtges[li?m?d?es]) is a town and municipality, the main town of the Haute-Vienne département and was the administration centre of the former Limousin regional authority in western France. The Limoges is known for its mediaeval and Renaissance enamel (Limoges enamel) on bronze, for its nineteenth centuries china (Limoges porcelain) and for its casks of oaks used to make cognac and bordeaux.
In the Limoges area only a few remnants of suburban settlement have been found. Lemovices, the Gallic people's capitol that inhabited the area, was probably located either near Villejoubert, a few kilometers southeast of Saint-Léonard-de-Noblat, or St. Gence, western of Limoges. This town itself was established by the Romans around 10 B.C. as Augustoritum: "rito-" is Gallic for "ford".
It was a romantic Rome with a 136 x 115 metre large Amphitheater, a theater, a board, spas and several shrines. Legend has it that near the present-day church there was a sanctuary dedicated to Venus, Diana, Minerva and Jupiter. It was a town with a typically Latin layout, with two major roads intersecting in the center.
Later it was named, like many Gaul capitals, after the trunk (here the Lemovices) whose capital it was; "Lemovices" later developed into "Limoges" and "Lemovicinus" for the surrounding area into "Limousin". The evangelization of Limoges was carried out by Saint Martial, who came to the village around 250 with two escorts, Alpinianus and Austriclinienus.
But in the end of the 3. centuries it was left more and more deserted, because the invasion of different Teutonic trunks caused uncertain circumstances. Instead, the populace focused on a more readily fortified place, the Puy Saint-Étienne, the center of Limoges. Beginning with the building of the abbey of St. Martial (9th century), another village was built around the grave of the Holy One, while a third area seems to be inhabited next to the residency of the vicomte (the castle of St. Martial) from the tenth centuries.
Beginning in the eleventh centuries, thanks to the abbey of St. Martial and its large public collection, Limoges became a thriving art-center. Here was an important mediaeval musical compositions college, usually known as the St. Martial Schools; its most celebrated member was the Bertran de Born trio from the thirteenth cenury.
At the height of its splendor in the thirteenth centuries, the Limoges was a centrally located village consisting of two forts. There is a Vienne viaduct, called Saint-Étienne and constructed by the runners, and a sophisticated dock. In the town center there are still remains of the fortifications. In 1792 the town and the palace were merged to become the only town in Limoges.
The French Revolution saw the destruction by the people of several buildings of religion regarded as symbolic of the Old Regime, including the Abbey of St. Martial itself. A few years later the china began to evolve, aided by the existence of clayite, which was found in 1768 at Limoges (near St. Yrieix, southwest of Limoges).
Most of the residents were engaged in the new or related sectors (including the wooden timber needed to burn the porcelain) of production and export for the sale in Europe of Limoges boxes, tableware and other chinaware. As the Limousin area has a long tradition of farming (baronet ewes and limousine cows), the Limoges leathers industries also established themselves in and around Limoges along the Vienne shore - the rivers that provide the necessary waters and energy.
The Limoges and St. Junien plants continue to manufacture luxurious leathershoes, mittens and handbags. Limoges experienced heavy building activities in the 19 th centuries, which involved the demolition and reconstruction of a large part of the inner town. At the beginning of 1905 strike started in another village industrial area, soon followed by footwear factory in the china factory.
Two victims: a young china maker and a young horseman, Camille Vardelle. In 1895, the first association of employees in France, the Confédération Générale du Travail (CGT) (General Confederation of Labour), was founded in Limoges. Many Jews were expelled from Alsace to and around Limoges during the Second World War.
It is one of the capital cities of France for hockey. Palais des Sports de Beaublanc has hosted major global hockey tournaments such as EuroBasket 1983 and is home to the CSP Limoges (Cercle St Pierre) pros. The Limoges Hand 87 is a league division 2 league of the Ligue Nationale de Handball, currently headquartered in Limoges, France.
The Limoges region enjoys an Atlantic climatic conditions (Köppen climatic rating Cfb) which is widespread in large parts of western France. It suffers on half an hour frosts and seven nights snows per winters. Sacred War crypt, built in the tenth centuries, includes the grave of the runner who evangelised the city It was found in the 1960' during the construction of an urban garage (place de la république).
Gothic cathedral of Limoges (Cathédrale Saint-Étienne de Limoges), which was started in 1273 and ended in 1888. Among the most important works of arts are a Renaissance podscope and the grave of the runner Jean de Langeac with sculptured apocalyptic scenery. Surrounded by the remains of St. Aurelian, the second episcopal of Limoges, it has mediaeval sculptures and works of baroque architecture.
Inside are the relic of St. Martial and 15th and 16th centuries coloured glasses. Saint Martial (Roman bridges) and St-Etienne (13th centuries). Gare de Limoges Bénédictins was opened in 1929. Château de La Borie (17th century), 4 km (2.5 miles) from the town.
Here you will find the Centre Culturel de Rencontre de La Borie and the Ensemble Baroque de Limoges. Ruins of the castle of Chalucet from the twelfth centuries, 10 km southern of the town. "The Limoges Market" is the name of part of an exhibit of paintings by Modest Mussorgsky.
This is Limoges in T.S. Eliot's Gerontion (London 1919), line 23 to 25: "... Mr. Silvero/ With stroking palms, in Limoges/ Who went the whole room next door all dark. "Elot's fellow countryman and mentor Ezra Pound paid a visit to Limoges in 1912 to explore the countryside and work of the twelfth centuries Troubadour.
"A man can go the hills and rivers of Limoges and Charente to Dordogne and Narbonne and experience a little, or more than a little, what the land means to the travelling singers..." There' s also a hint of Limoges in Jean-Paul Sartre's novel Nausea, in the centre of the Tuesday section of the carnival chapter, when the judge says: "I had a similar case at the beginning of my professional life.
of Limoges..." Limoges Central Train Station is the Gare de Limoges-Bénédictins. Limoges is linked to Chateauroux, Vierzon, Orléans and Paris by the A20 highway in the northern part and Brive-la-Gaillarde, Cahors, Montauban and Toulouse in the southern part. Limoges - Bellegarde International Airports is the closest one. Municipal traffic in Limoges and its surrounding area is managed by the Société de transport en comm de Limoges Métropole (STCL).
Limoges city buses include the Limoges rolling stock system, one of only four currently in operation in France. The Inquisitor of Toulouse, Bishop of Lodève, Bernard Gui (1261-1331), interred in Limoges. Moves to Limoges for security in 1939 and then to Peyrat-le-Château, where he dies in 1971. Rochechouart Art Museum (west of Limoges) houses several of his works.