?) is a Greek island in the northern part of the Aegean Sea. The Lemnos is an island in the northern Aegean Sea. Guide to the island of Lemnos, in Greece: photos, best beaches, sights. Arrange your holidays in Lemnos: hotels, ferries and more.
sspan class="mw-headline" id="Géographie">Géographie
The Lemnos (Greek: ??????) is a small archipelago in the northerly part of the archipelago of.... In administrative terms, the islands form a community of its own within the Lemnos district, which is part of the Nordägäis area. Myrina is the capital of the isle and the residence of the city. With 583 km2 (184,396 km2), it is the eighth biggest of Greece's islands.
The Lemnos is mostly shallow (hence its more than 30 sandy beaches), but the wests and especially the northwests are rugged and upland. Mount Skopia is the highest point at 430 m  The most important cities are Myrina on the east and Moudros on the east side of a large cove in the centre of the isle.
The Myrina ( also known as Kastro, which means "castle") has a good port, which is currently being enhanced by the building of a west-facing seawall. Lemnos has a long farming history and is known for its Kalathaki Limnou (PDO), a cheeses made from sheep's and goat's milk, as well as meatlipasto and yoghurt.
Fruits and vegetable growing on the islands includes tonsils, pears, melons, water-melons, tomatoes, gourds and olive trees. Lemnos was in fact the grain warehouse of Constantinople during the time of the Byzantines. As with most locally grown Lemnos produce, the quantity of Lemnos is hardly more than enough for the Greek population.
Lemnos wine varieties and qualities have improved considerably since 1985. Lemnos has a mainly Mediterranean temperate zone. Powerful breezes are a characteristic of the islands, especially in August and throughout the winters, hence the name " the wind" (in Greek ?????????). Hephaestus, the metallurgical deity, was a holy place for the Greeks. As he says in Ilias I.590ff, Hephaestus dropped on Lemnos when Zeus pushed him headfirst out of Olympus.
There he was taken care of by the sinners, after Iliad, or by Thetis (Apollodorus, Library I:3. 5), and there with a Thurracian Cabiro lymph (a Proteus daughter) he produced a strain named Kaberoi. Holy initiation ceremonies were held on the islands for them. The Hephaestus smithy, which was on Lemnos, and the name Aethaleia, which was sometimes used to refer to them, indicate their vulcanicity.
Pausanias, the oldographer, reports that a small islet named Chryse off the Lemna coastline was ingested by the ocean. It is said that the early residents were a Thurracian clan, which the Greeks Sintians referred to as "robbers". Lemnos is said to have been used by Hecataeus in the shape of a Cybele name among Thracians.
Following the quintessence of the library traditional assigned to Apollodorus (Epitom I:9), Dionysus produced them after Lemnos, when he found Ariadne left on Naxos, and there Thoas, Staphylus, Openopion and Peparethus. Plainius the Elder in his natural history (xxxvi. 13) talks of a noteworthy maze in Lemnos that was not discovered in recent years.
A Greek myth has it that the wives were all abandoned by their men for the sake of Thursday's wives, and in vengeance they killed every man on the Isle. The Argonauts, who landed soon after, found only females on the Isle, who were governed by Hypsipyle, the old Thoas king's daugher, according to Rhodes' Argonautica's Apollo.
The Argonauts and the Lemon wives were the descendants of the Minyan races, whose Euneus sent wines and supplies to the Achaeans in Troy. The Minyans, according to later Greeks scholars, were driven out by a native of Attica, a native of Attica. It is probable that the historic elements behind these customs are that the ancient Thurracian peoples were slowly associated with the Greeks when shipping began to reunite the dispersed isles of the Aegean; the Thurracian peoples were technically savage compared to the Greeks.
Another story says that Philoctetes was abandoned on Lemnos by the Greeks on his way to Troy; and there he was tormented for ten years by his injured leg, until Odysseus and Neoptolemus caused him to escort her to Troy. Remains of the oldest man-made settlements of the Aegean islands found so far have been excavated during Lemnos archeological digs by a crew of ancient Greeks, Italians and Americans at Ouriakos on the Louri shore of Fyssini in the community of Moudros.
Because of the shortage of bronzes, the wealth of ferrous arms and the nature of the pot and pens, the town seems to date back to the 9th or 8th centuries B.C. The inhabitants of the village did not appear to be Greeks, but rather barbarians, as the arms show.
There is no Greeks gun, stab or spear: the barbarian guns, ax and blade, are well known. However, since this populace retains so many aspects of Mycenaean culture, the Tyrrhenians or Pelasgians of Lemnos can be recognised as the remains of a Mycenaean people. As if there was a city on the peninsula named Lemnos.
There were two cities in the classic era, Myrina (also known as Kastro) and Hephaistia, which was the capital. It belongs to the time of the attalian settlement and carries athenic type. There are also some coin known that carry the name of the whole archipelago and not one of the two cities. There is a hint of the Lemni Dynasty on an epitaph from the sixth millennium on a grave stela, the Lemnos stela.
Later Lemnos adopted the Athens tongues. To return to a better time of authentication, it is said that Lemnos was captured by Omanes, a general of Darius Hystaspis. Miltiads later reverted to Athens and Lemnos was an ancient property of Athens until the Mecedonian kingdom took over. Around 450 B.C., Lemnos was an priest from Athens.
Athens colonists bring with them the Athens play, which dates to at least 348 BC. The Romans proclaimed it free in 197 B.C., but in 166 B.C. it was handed over to Athens, which kept it in its nominally ownership, until all of Greece was incorporated into the Roman Republic in 146 B.C..
Lemnos became part of the Byzantine Empire after the partition of the Roman Empire in 395. Lemnos, a Byzantine Empire provincial, was part of the Aegean Sea and was the object of Saracen attacks in the tenth and Seljuk attacks in the eleventh centuries.
After the disintegration and partition of the Empire after the Fourth Crusade, Lemnos (known by the Westerners as Stalimene) was assigned to the Latin Empire and given to the Navigajoso dynasty as a feud under the Venice (or possibly Greek-Japanese) Megadux Filocalo Navigajoso. 14 ] Filocalo passed away in 1214 and was replaced by his son Leonardo and his sons, who divided the isle into three fiefdoms.
Leónardo kept the Latin Empire's designation and half of the Latin Empire's land with the capitol Kastro, while his sister and her men each got a fourth with the forts of Moudros and Kotsinos. In 1260 Leonardo passed away and was replaced by his Son Paolo Navigajoso, who fought against attacks by the BC army until his own life during a besiege of the isle by the BCdmiral Licario in 1277.
In 1278 the Navigajosi had to surrender and the islands were returned to Byzantium. During the Fifth Ottoman-Venetian War in July 1656, the Venetians recaptured the Ottoman Empire after a great defeat of the Ottoman navy. Lemnos became part of Greece on 8 October 1912, during the First Balkan War.
She was taken over without loss by the Admiral Pavlos Kountouriotis' Marine of Greece from the Turkish Ottoman occupation force, which was brought back to Anatolia. Charanis Peter, a 1908 native of the archipelago and later Rutgers University lecturer in ancient Near Eastern Byzantium civilization, tells the story of when the archipelago was invaded and Greece sent troops to village and settled in town.
Several of the kids ran away to see what Grecian troops were like. "18 " ("Romioi", Romans literal, were described by the Ottoman government as the Orthodox Greeks of the Empire). The Moudros Bay became a forward mooring for the Grecian navy, which allowed it to observe the Dardanelles and avoid an invasion of the Aegean by the Ottoman Navy.
Ottoman efforts to accomplish this were defeated in the Elli and Lemnos wars. At the beginning of 1915, during the First World War, the Allies used the archipelago to try to take the Dardanellen Road, about 50 km away. At the end of October 1918, the ceasefire between the Ottoman Empire and the Allies was concluded in Moudros.
One remarkable point of escape was the Greeks of Lemnos, where 18,000 Cuban Cossacks ended up, although many later perished from hunger and sickness. The majority of the people abandoned the islands after one year. Formerly Lemnos and the smaller Isle of Agios Efstratios belonged to Lesbos Préfecture. Lemnos and Agios Efstratios now make up the Lemnos Regional Unit.
The province of Lemnos, which was dissolved in 2006, covered the same area as the current one. By 2001, the archipelago had 12,116 permanent homes, of which 65% were constructed of brick, and 90. 2 per cent had sloping ceilings made of reddish bricks (source: 18.3. 2001 Census, National Statistical Service of Greece). 9 per cent worked in the agricultural sector, 5 per cent in lightweight industry, 11 per cent in building, 6 per cent in the hotel and restaurant sector and the remainder in other sectors (source: 2001 Census, National Statistical Service of Greece).
Lemnos International is the only international destination, 18 kilometers from Myrina. Piraeus (Athens), Lazurium, Thessaloniki and Kavala are easily accessible by ferry. Uh... (in Greek). Leap up ^ "Population and residential unit count 2001 (incl. area and mean height)" (PDF) (in Greek). Greek National Statistical Office.
Encyclopaedia of Ancient Greece. Skip up ^ "Limnos Island Climate Normals 1961-1990". "Lemnos." Constantinople (1204-1228). "Lemnos." ikimedia Commons has lemnos related medias. Wikivoyage has a guidebook for Lemnos. Lemno's International Airport "Hephaestus".