Oafia is a small village in the centre of Nigeria. Nasarawa is the state' s capitol and, according to the 2006 survey, has 330,712 inhabitants It is the biggest municipality in the state of Nasarawa. Lafia, formerly Lafia Beri-Beri, Nassarawa State, Nassarawa State. Initially a celebrity village of Koro (Migili), the 16th emir today in the name of Isa Musatafa Agwai I. Lafia became the chief of a famous village in the early nineteenth cen.
Under the reign of Mohamman Agwai (1881-1903), the Lafia Square became one of the most important in the Benue Valley and a trading lane was opened to Loko (56 miles southwest), a harbour on the Benue River. The British, who ruled northern Nigeria in 1903, recognised Chief Musa as the first emirate of Lafia.
It was the largest part of the Lafia division of the Benue region. The city became part of the state of Benue Plateau in 1967 and was assigned to the state of Plateau in 1976. The modern Lafia is a collection point for Jerusalem artichoke seed, soy beans and a trade center for sweet potatoes, sorghum, milk and cottons.
In addition to agriculture, the traditional activity of the city' s residents - members of the Alago, Tiv and Kanuri tribes, who are the kings of the tribe - is to weave and dye it. The shepherds of the fishermen of Mt. Fedani take their livestock to pasture during the drought period. Pewter and columbian are extracted near the city, and a colliery is located south-east of it.
Most of the Lafia are Muslims - about 70 per cent. There is a large centrally located temple near the Emir Palace. The town is located on the Port Harcourt road and the major road between Makurdi and Jos. 330,712 inhabitants (2006) were counted in the municipality of Lafia.
The Lafia is home to the Nasarawa State University Faculty of Agriculture Lafia, Nasarawa State Polytechnic Lafia, School of Nursing, College of Agriculture Lafia, and more recently Federal University, Lafia and a large number of elementary and high school. The Lafia is the home of Nasarawa United, a soccer team whose arena is the Lafia Township Arena.
It is serviced by the most important narrow-gauge railroad from Port Harcourt.