La RomanaThe Romana
sspan class="mw-headline" id="History">History
The Romana is the 7th biggest Dominican Republic town with an expected 2010 number of inhabitants of 130,426 within the borders of the Dominican Republic (population: 214,109), of which 127,623 are cities and 2,803 countryside. It is the capitol of the south-eastern La Romana region, opposite the island of Catalina. Romana derives its name from a scale that was used to measure goods for sale for exports.
San Rosa de Lima is the protector of La Romana. La Romana International Airport was opened in 2000. It is a junction for a burgeoning tourism sector with several adjacent residential areas such as Bayahibe, Dominicus, Casa de Campo and the increasing number of gulf spas surrounding the area.
La Romana was established in 1897 as an olive grove village. In 1917, with the building of a large factory (owned by Italy's immigrant population in the Rome area, Lazio), the local population quickly began to shift to producing it. Start-up of the factory occurred at a time when global demand for sugars was rising, causing the factory to take in labourers from other parts of the nation, and many destitute local farmers came to La Romana in pursuit of a better lifestyle.
At the beginning of 1960, Gulf and Western Industries, Inc. bought the factory and began to reinvest in cattle breeding, which was consolidated in the provinces. Meanwhile, $20 million has been spent on rebuilding La Romana and building colleges, hospitals, housing facilities and other worker infrastructures. In the mid -1970s, the US diversified company began to sell its dominant property and at the same one of the biggest luxury tourism destinations in the country, Casa de Campo.
The Casa de Campo holiday centre is the flag ship of La Romana All Inclusive Resorts. Casa de Campo was bought in 1984 by the Central Romana Corporation, belonging to the Fanjul family. The Altos de Chavón is a reproduction of a Mediterranean town from the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, just a few moments from La Romana.
The international tourist harbour Casa de Campo (Muelle Turístico Internacional Casa de Campo) on the western bank of the La Romana or Rio Dulce rivers was mainly used for doingck of merchant vessels, mainly for the transportation of sugars and molasses. Due to the fact that the harbour was situated in the middle of the sea, it was possible to reach the sea from the sea. After the Central Romana Corporation had exceeded the capacities of its harbour, it constructed its new tourism-oriented harbour on the eastern side of the canal.
The Central Romana Corporation, opened in December 2002 with the inauguration of the ship Costa Marina, spent $12 million to expand the current harbour by over 40,000sqm. It is a state-of-the-art harbour centre and harbour facility with a maximum seating for two large vessels.
The Romana is not a typically dominant city, but a corporate city in which the Central Romana Corporation owns the major part of the city. This is a city with almost 100% occupation, mainly in the tourist sector or with the Central Romana Corporation, the Duty Free Zone (Zona Franca Romana) or one of its services companies.
The Romana has been a one-company city since the South Puerto Rico Lugar Corporation constructed the Central Romana giant mill in 1917. This was the only saccharine farm that was not taken over by Rafael Trujillo during his rule. The South Puerto Rico Lugar Corporation with real estate in Florida, Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic belonged to the Gulf+Western Group from 1964 to 1967.
The Gulf+Western Corporation in 1984 divested its interest in the Central Romana Corporation to a group of domestic and international shareholders, including the Fanjul family. In 1968, Gulf+Western purchased Consolidated cigars and transferred production of cigars in the Canary Islands to its Tabacalera de Garcia tobacconist's in La Romana. Tabacalera de Garcia is currently one of the worlds leading manufacturers of cigars and has been in the possession of Altadis, the world's leading marketer of cigars, since 1999.
La Romana produces three world-famous brands: the Estadio Francisco Micheli houses the Toros del Este, a Dominican Winter League basketball group. It was in 1983 that the Salvadoran Jorge Blanco administration created the Polideportivo de La Romana (La Romana Sports Center), after Eleoncio Mercedes, in honour of the lightweight fly fighter who became champions of the championship, through the Regional Tourism Promotion Funds.
Cañeros de La Romana, a dominant baseball club, plays their home matches here. Commons Wikimedia has created medias related to La Romana.