ssspan class="mw-headline" id="Names">Names
Located on the Gulf of Riga coastline, the city is serviced by Kuressaare airport, Roomassaare port and Kuressaare marina.... Kuressaare's emblem also depicts the fort and the tetramorphic figure of St. John the Evangelist, the Adler. Friedrich sent his younger brothers Prince Magnus to Kuressaare, where he was chosen the following year as episcopal see.
The diocese was secularized in 1572 and Kuressaare belonged to the crown of Denmark. 1645, after the Torstenson War's loss in Denmark, it was transferred to Sweden by the Treaty of Brömsebro. Queen Christina of Sweden gave her favorite Magnus Gabriel de la Gardie, the name of the Count of Arensburg, the English and Spanish name for Kuressaare at that age.
Kuressaare became a favourite bathing place on the shores of the sea in the 19 th cent. Kuressaare was the first city in Estonia to recover its self-governing state in October 1990. Since 1999 the Kuressaare Opera Days (Saaremaa Ooperipäevad) have been taking place every school year. Further more the Kuressaare Chamber Music Days (Kuressaare Kammermuusika Päevad) are taking place since 1995 and the Kuressaare Maritime Festival (Kuressaare Merepäevad) since 1998.
The Kuressaare team is also the host of the FC Kuressaare soccer team. Returned on June 4, 2012. Returned on June 4, 2012. Returned on June 4, 2012. Returned on June 4, 2012. Returned on June 4, 2012. Returned on June 4, 2012. Returned on June 4, 2012. Archives from the originals on 22 February 2012. Returned on September 28, 2016. Archives from the originals on 22 February 2012.
Returned on September 28, 2016. Kuressaare unsõpruslinnad. The Kuressaareinn. Brought back on October 21, 2010.
Curessaare is the capitol of Saaremaa. Situated on the Bay of Livonia, the town has an area of about 15 square kilometres and a total of about 15,000 inhabitants. In 1563, the member of the European Healthy Cities Network of the World Health Organization Kuressaare received the liberty of a town that was designated by different designations throughout its entire history.
In 1917, the historical German name Arensburg was superseded by Kuressaare. It was named Kingissepp Kingissepa during the 1952-1988 Sowjet era after Viktor Kingissepp, a native of the Bolsheviks. It was the first Estonian town to restore self-government in October 1990. Today Kuressaare is a secure and sound town, open to cooperation and communications and has eight partner cities.