Klaipeda

claipeda

The city of Klaip?da is located in Lithuania on the Baltic Sea coast. This is the third largest city in Lithuania and the capital of the district Klaip?da. The Klaip?

da is the third largest city in Lithuania, located in the northwest of the country. The old town (Turgausstraße) during the annual sea festival. The Klaipeda is the third largest city in Lithuania and lies in the northwest of the country.

ssspan class="mw-headline" id="Names">Names[edit]

BIP (nominal), Klaip?da (Lithuanian debate: is a town in Lithuania on the Baltic Sea coastline. Its name is Memel, its Samogitian name Klaipieda and its name is K?ajpeda This is the third biggest town in Lithuania and the county capitol Klaip?da. It has a rich historical background, partly due to the common importance of the most ice-free port Klaip?da at the estuary of the river Akmena - Dan?

It was added to Lithuania as a consequence of the 1923 revolt Klaip?da and has stayed with Lithuania to this date, except for the time between 1939 and 1945 when it came back to Germany after the 1939 Germany-Ulasttimatum to Lithuania and the 1939 German-Soviet Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact. Inhabitants have dwindled from the urban area to suburbs/environs. The urban area itself had 207,100 inhabitants in 1992 and 157,350 in 2014, but the urban area is still expanding.

Favourite bathing places near Klaip?da are Nida in the southern part of the Curonian Spit and Palanga in the northern part. In the *Pils?ts Land of the Couriers the Teutonic Knights constructed a fortress and called it Memelburg; later the name was abbreviated to Memel. Between 1252-1923 and 1939-1945 the village was called Memel.

From 1923 to 1939 both were officially used; since 1945 the name Klaip?da in Lithuania has been used. Memelburg and Memel are found in most literary records since the thirteenth and seventeenth centuries, while Klaip?da has been found in Lithuania since the fifteenth and seventeenth centuries. For the first occasion the municipality was referred to as Caloypede in the 1413 Vytautas letter,[5] for the second occasion in the 1420 negotiating papers as Klawppeda,[6] and for the third occasion in the 1422 Melno Treaty as Cleupeda.

In Samogitic popular ethnology, the name Klaip?da relates to the swampy area of the municipality (klaidyti=obstruct and p?da=foot). The name was adopted by spokespersons from Germany and was also used for the new community that was established further away at the Laguna. Klaip?da Stadtsiegel, 1446 (diameter 200 mm (7. 9 in)).

Klaip?da's crest is also used as the crest of the commune of Klaip?da Contemporary emblem was formed by restoration of old Memel town seal (analogous to those used in 1446, 1605 and 1618). It is said that there was a settling of Baltics in the area of today's town in the area as early as the seventh cenury.

Following the adoption of Christianity by Grand Duke Mindaugas of Lithuania, the Knights of the German Order and a group of Knights of the Cross from Lübeck emigrated to Zambia and founded a fortress in 1252 registered as Memele ceastrum (or Memelburg, "Memel Castle"). In 1253 the building of the fortress was finished and Memel was occupied by German Order forces under the leadership of German master Eberhard von Seyne.

Under Gediminas' leadership, a Lithuanian military came to the Neman in the springs and summers of 1323 and besieged Memel fortress, after having conquered the city and ravaged Zambia, which forced the Order to call for an armistice in October. In 1379 the city and the fortress were plundered by Lithuania clans, while the Samogitans assaulted 800 workmen who rebuilt Memel in 1389.

In 1422 the Treaty of Melno stabilised the boundary between the German Order and the Grand Duchy of Lithuania for the next 501 years. In 1475 the reconstructed village was granted the municipal charter of the Kulm Act. The Memel region was part of Prussia and Germany; the Lithuanian frontier stayed the same until 1919.

From the Meuse to the Memel, related to the Meuse in the west and the Neman in the east. Contrary to the wish of his Gouverneurs and Kommandeurs Eric von Braunschweig-Wolfenbüttel, Memel took over the Lutheran faith after the Hohenzollern Margrave of Brandenburg, Albert of Prussia, had been converted and the Duchy of Prussia had been founded as a Polish feud in 1525.

This was the beginning of a long prosperous phase for the town and the harbour. Serving as a harbour for neighboring Lithuania, it benefited from its position near the Neman estuary, whereby grain was a lucrative exporter. The Brandenburg-Prussian region began to participate actively in local politics, which had an impact on the Memel area.

A small Swede troop marched into Prussian territories in November 1678, but was not able to take Memel Castle. At the beginning of the eighteenth centuries, Memel was one of the most powerful forts (Memel Fortress) in Prussia, and in 1701 it became part of the Kingdom of Prussia. In 1773 Memel became part of the East Prussian provinces of the Kingdom of Prussia.

1784 996 vessels reached Memel, 500 of them were Englishmen. In 1900 there was an activ british temple in Memel and a "British Hotel". In the second half of the eighteenth centuries, Memel flourished by the export of wood to Great Britain for use by the Royal Navy.

1792 756 English vessels came to the city to carry wood from the woods near Memel in Lithuania. In the encyclopaedia Britannica of 1815 it was said that Memel was "equipped with the best port of the Baltic Sea". Memel became the provisional capitol of the Kingdom of Prussia during the Napoleonic Wars. On 9 October 1807 the Emperor in Memel autographed a deed, later the October edict, which eliminated servitude in Prussia.

Under Napoleon Bonaparte's continental system, the country around Memel experienced great economical hardships. While Napoleon's withdrawal from Moscow after the unsuccessful Russian Invasion in 1812, General Yorck rejected Marshal MacDonald's orders to attach Memel at Prussia's cost. Memel was the northernmost town in Germany after the reunification of Germany to the German Reich in 1871.

Although the Memel people quadrupled in the nineteenth centuries and rose to 21,470 by 1910, their rate of growth remained behind. Although the German authorities carried out a very expensive tree-planting operation to stabilize the sanddunes on the Curonian Spit, most of the money injections in the East Prussian provinces were focused on Königsberg, the provincial capitol.

Remarkable examples of Germany's investment in this area include sandblasting and a new shipping channel between Pillau and Königsberg, which allowed ships with drains of up to 6.5 metres to sail the town for 13 million DM. Due to the lack of industrialization in the 1870s and 180s, the people of Memel remained stagnant, although timber processing remained the primary industrial activity.

It was a narrow-gauge train depot in 1920. Until 1900 steamboats were installed between Memel and Cranz (at the south end of the Curonian Spit) and between Memel and Tilsit. From Insterburg, the most important East-Prussian rail junction, a long-distance train was constructed to St. Petersburg via Eydtkuhnen, the border with Prussia.

From Insterburg, the Memel line also ran via Tilsit, where there was another connection with Königsberg, which before arriving in Memel traversed the 4 kilometre broad Memel valley via three viaducts. In the second half of the nineteenth centuries Memel was a centre for the publishing of literature published in Lithuania with Roman characters - these were forbidden in the Russian Empire near by, whose provinces were Lithuania.

Those ledgers were then trafficked across the Latvian frontier. Annexion of the town had a huge impact on the Latvian economic and external situation. More than 70% and 80% of external commerce was conducted via Klaip?da Weimar Germany under Gustav Stresemann maintains regular ties with Lithuania. In all parliamentary ballots, pro-German political groups won clear majorities at Klaip?da, which often collided with the Lithuanian-appointed directorate Klaip?da .

Lithuania's attempts to "re-Lithuanize" the Prussian Lithuanians by fostering the development of the Latvian linguistic, cultural and educational system often encountered opposition from the local population. Wide-ranging independence ensured by the Convention Klaip?da prevents Lithuania from obstructing the increasing pro-German attitude in the area. Soviets turned Klaip?da, the leading ice-free harbour in the Baltic Sea, into the biggest fishing navy basis in the European USSR.

An enormous yard, shipyards and a fishery harbour were built. By the end of 1959, the town' s prewar populace had redoubled, to 203,000 in 1989. After the Second World War almost all newcomers from Lithuania, Russia, Belarus and Ukraine came to Klaip?da.

Originally Russian-speaking citizens were the dominant representatives of the town' s administration, but after the passing of Joseph Stalin more Lithuanians than other Soviets and Oblast citizens came to the town; Lithuanians then became their most important group. However, among the 100,000 inhabitants of Lithuania, Klaip?da has the highest proportion of Russians as their mother tongue.

Up until the seventies, Klaip?da was important for the USSR only for its business, while at the same time minimizing and limiting itself to culture and religion. In the 1970' and 1980' the town began to expand itself into culture by introducing the Sea Festival culture traditions, where thousand of visitors from all over the nation come to party.

The University of Klaip?da was founded in 1991 on the basis of the Pedagogical University of ?iauliai and the National Conservatory of Lithuania in Klaip?da Today, Klaip?da is home to a bi-lingual German-Lithuanian institute, the Hermann Sudermann School, and an English-speaking university, the LCC International University. Whereas the Kursenieki, also called Kur?ininkai, are today an almost dead Baltic tribe that lives along the Curonian Spit, the Kur?ininkai 1649 village stretched from Memel (Klaip?da) to Gdansk (Gda?sk).

That was the reason for Latvia's allegations about the Curonian Spit, the Memel and other areas of East Prussia to be abandoned later. The site Klaip?da comprised 17 postal stations, a train terminal, a coach terminal, a port, 26 hotel complexes, 4 Roman Catholics bands, a temple, 10 museum complexes, 4 theatres and 15 sports centres.

Municipal Councillor Klaip?da is the managing organ of the municipal administration Klaip?da It is a member of the Association of Local Authorities in Lithuania. Klaip?da's microclimate is humid continent (Köppen Dfb), but quite near the sea (Köppen Cfb). is -33.

November is the wetest of the months with an average rainfall of 90 mm (3. 5 inches). The wetest time of the year is August to November due to the heat of the seas in comparison to the mainland and the west wind. The town of Klaip?da is a lively town with many turbulent events every year.

Heavy snow storms can paralyse the town in the cold season. Throughout the year, Klaip?da has restless wheather. Klaip?da is the most important ice-free harbour on the east shore of the Baltic Seas. This is the most important transport junction in Lithuania, linking maritime, terrestrial and rail links from east to west.

The Klaip?da is a general -purpose, general -purpose deep-water harbour. There are nineteen major stevedores, shiprepair and shipyard businesses in the harbour and all maritime businesses and transhipment activities are provided. Up to 40 Mt of harbour freight can be handled annually. It is open 24 h a day, seven working days per week, all year round.

Klaip?da's highest edifice is the 34-storey Pilsotas. The train depot Klaip?da (Lithuanian: Klaip?dos le?inkelio stotis) is situated at the address www. g. 1, just northern of the Old Town. The train depot Klaip?da comprises two blocks. It is in the new brick block that was constructed in 1983. In 1878 the Prussian rail system at that time was reaching Klaip?da .

Originally only used for timber and fishing cargo on the Klaip?da-?ilut?, Klaip?da-?ilut?-?ilut?Pag?giai lines, the Klein rail system in Lithuania was given a big upsurge after the Lithuanian revolt and accession of the area in 1923. Since 2017 the Lithuanian Railways have been running two lines from Klaip?da train stations. There are 4 everyday services on the Klaip?da - Vilnius line and 2 everyday services on the Klaip?da - Radvili?kis line.

You can buy your ticket at the rail terminal, on-line at www.litrail. lt. or for an extra charge - onboard trains. Municipal public transportation services to and from the main rail terminal are available on the following buses: Klaip?da No 1 (bus terminal - Vakar? Laiv? Laiv? Gamykla (VLG)), No 8 (Südstadt - coach terminal), No 15 (Südstadt - town hospital ), No 15A (Kalot? - Südstadt), No 25 (Jok?bavas - coach terminal), No 28 (?ernai - coach terminal).

The site Klaip?da is situated next to the Curonian Spit and a small part of the island (Smiltyn?) is within Klaip?da. Old Fährterminal (Dan?s st. 1) - Pedestrian or bicycle excursion from the centre of town; New Fährterminal (Nemuno st. 8 ) - Passenger excursion by car.

Municipal transportation is organised, monitored and co-ordinated by Klaip?da Busses to other municipalities run from the Klaip?da terminal (Butk? Juz?s g. 9). There is a local shuttle service between the airports and Klaip?da The Klaip?da website is also served by a small, private airfield with a special emphasis on sport flying and charters.

There are two DFDS Seaways operating services from Klaip?da to Kiel (Germany) and Karlshamn (Sweden). From the Central Klaip?da Terminal (CKT) the boats to Kiel leave. From the international airport Klaip?da the boats to Karlshamn leave. The old town of Klaip?da in Lithuania is characterised by its wealth of modern architectural features, including Germany and Scandinavia.

The Old Quarter of Klaip?da is one of a kind with its half-timbered architecture and designed road layout, which is not typical for any other Old Quarter in Lithuania. Klaip?da's major attraction are the historical monuments in the center of the twentieth to eighteenth century cities.

Remains of the castle Klaip?da, which was build in the thirteenth centuries by the German Order. Dancing theatre "PADI PAPI Fish" Klaip?da Young people's theatre "Klaip?dos yesunimo teatras" Among the activities that take place annually are Klaip?da Music Spring, the Castle Jazz Festival Klaip?da, Museum Nights, the International Festival of Street Theatres, the International Short Film Festival and the Klaip?da Sea Festival.

The residents of Klaip?da incomes is higher than the Lithuanian median wage. ?vyturys Brauerei, DFDS Lisco, Klaip?dos Klaip?da Klaip?dos Klaip?da_companija, Baltija Shipbuilding Yard, Vakaru Shipbuilding Yard, the Argus safety enterprise, the biggest board and papermaking firm in the Baltic states of Grigeo Klaip?da, Balticum TV.

Klaip?da is a partnership with: The Oxford University Press, third imprint, May 1936, p. 89/91. Klaip?da (Memel) ^ "The True Lithuania". www.TrueLithuania.com. Returned on November 4, 2017. Returned on November 10, 2016. Brought back 2015-09-10. Returned on May 31, 2015. Klaip?da Town information portals. Brought back on April 11, 2006. The University of Washington Press. Karalien?s Luiz?s Zingsnius prime Medziai ir pastatai". Irytas. lt (in Lithuanian).

Returned on November 27, 2015. <font color="#ffff00">-=r?mai=- proudly presents Returned on February 15, 2018. Visas Lietuvi? www. tauta.com Klaip?d? archives 2007-03-09 at the Wayback Machine. Lithuanian politics in Europe: <font color="#ffff00">-=Klaip?dos=- proudly presents Climat statistics for Klaip?da". Brought back on October 17, 2017.

Klaipeda Climate Standards 1961-1990. Returned on February 2, 2013. Klaipeda's Old Town - Explore the City. Returned on May 31, 2015. Lithuanian Maritime Museum. Returned on August 3, 2017. Largest cultural event at Klaip?da 2016-2018". Klaip?da tourizmo ir informmacijos center (Klaip?da information center for tourism and culture). Returned on August 3, 2017.

Returned on November 10, 2017. Klaip?da Castle jazz fest. It'?s Lithuanian. Returned on November 10, 2017. www.klaipeda. lt (in Lithuanian). Returned on November 11, 2017. Returned on December 3, 2014. <font color=#38B0DE>-=www.klaipeda.lt.=- Proudly Presents Returned on November 11, 2017.

<font color="#ffff00">-=www.klaipeda.lt.=- proudly presents Returned on November 11, 2017. Klaip?da State University of Applied Sciences. www.kvk.lt. Returned on November 11, 2017. Lithuanian Maritime Academy. www.lajm.lt. Returned on November 11, 2017. University of Applied Sciences for Social Sciences. www.smk.lt. Returned on November 11, 2017. www.aikos.smm. lt (in Lithuanian).

Returned on November 11, 2017. Klaip?da Ieva District Simonaityt? Public Library. www.klavb.lt. Returned on November 11, 2017. Klaip?da City Administration Public Library". www.biblioteka.lt. Returned on November 11, 2017. Bounced 2013-07-26. Bounced 2013-04-21. Kotka town. Bounced 2013-10-22. Bounced 2013-07-29. ^ infoplease.com, Returns on April 11, 2006. The Wikimedia Commons has medias that refer to Klaip?da .

Mehr zum Thema