sspan class="mw-headline" id="Géographie">Géographie
The town of Klagenfurt am Wörthersee (German pronunciation: Clanfurt) is the Austrian capitol of Carinthia. It is the 6th biggest town in the state with 100,316 inhabitants (1 January 2018). It is the bishop's residence of the Catholic Diocese of Gurk-Klagenfurt and the headquarters of the Alps-Adriatic University of Klagenfurt.
Klagenfurt is located in the south of Austria, halfway through the country, near the boarder. The Klagenfurt is 446 meters (1,463 feet) above sealevel and has an area of 120. Located on Wörthersee and Glan. There are several wooded hill ocks and mountain ranges with altitudes up to 1,000 meters (3,300 ft), such as Ulrichsberg.
The Karawanken chain, which divides Carinthia from Slovenia and Italy, lies in the southern part. The Klagenfurt is a chartered town of Carinthia and the administration centre of the Klagenfurt-Land county, but it is not one of them. Indeed, their number plate numbers are different (K for the town, KL for the district).
Llagenfurt is split itself into 16 districts: Klagenfurt, Blasendorf, Ehrenthal, Goritschitzen, Großbuch, Großponfeld, Gurlitsch I, Hallegg, Hörtendorf, Kleinbuch, Lendorf, Marolla, Nagra, Neudorf, St. St. Peter am Bichl, St. Ruprecht near Klagenfurt, Stein, Tentschach, Viktring, Waidmannsdorf, Waltendorf and Welzenegg. The Klagenfurt has a characteristic continent-like weather with lots of haze in fall and winters.
However, the rather colder winter is interrupted by occasionally warm spells as the föhn winds blow from the Karawanken hills to the southern hemisphere. During 2007 the name of the town was officially renamed "Klagenfurt am Wörthersee" (i.e. Klagenfurt am Wörthersee). Since there are nowhere else with the name Klagenfurt, however, the former short name stays the same.
According to legends, Klagenfurt was established after a few courageous men had killed the horrible "Lindwurm", a flying kite in the bogs by the sea, whose basic food was said to have been maidens, but who did not disdain the big ox on a necklace which the men had assembled on a powerful spire.
This achievement is recalled by a magnificent 9-ton Renaissance memorial in the center of the town. In 1246, Duke Herman's boy, Duke Bernhard von Spanheim, put it in a more secure location and was thus regarded as the real creator of the square, which in 1252 was granted town rights.
Klagenfurt endured fire, earthquake, locust incursions and attack by Muslim ottoman invaders in the following century and was devastated by the Peasant War. A fire almost entirely devastated the town in 1514, and in 1518 Emperor Maximilian I, who was not able to reconstruct it despite the fierce protest of the burghers, handed Klagenfurt over to the estates, the aristocracy of the duchy.
However, the new proprietors entailed an economical revival and the rise of Klagenfurt in terms of politics and culture. Channels were excavated to link the old and the new lakeside, to provide wood for the reconstruction of the old and for the new ditches; the aristocratic dynasties had their townhouses erected in the new ducal capitol; the old Venetian quarter was extended along a geometric chessboard designed by the Brazilian Domenico dell' Allio; a new inner-city plaza, the New Plaza, was created; and the new ramparts, which took half a century-long process to make Klagenfurt the most powerful stronghold in the northern Alps.
However, in 1809 the Napoleonic forces of France demolished the ramparts and for a large amount of money raised by the inhabitants, abandoned only an east door (demolished a few centuries later to make way for traffic) and the small road to the east, which is now all that was once the fortress.
The rail link to St. Veit an der Glan strengthened the city's economic position in 1863 and the construction of the Vienna-Triester-Bahn (Vienna-Triester Railway), which gave the town an impressive main train terminal (destroyed in World War II) and made Klagenfurt the ultimate regional center. Old Town Halls, Old Square.
The town became an important center of Slovenian cultural life in Carinthia in the nineteenth c. Klagenfurt was the home of many important Slovenian personalities, including Anton Martin Slom?ek, the later first Mariborish Bishop, who was blessed in 1999, the philosophers Jurij Japelj and Anton Jane?i?, the political figure Andrej Einspieler and the political campaigner Matija Majar.
The Hermagoras Society Publishers were founded in Klagenfurt on 27 July 1851 on the instigation of Archbishop Slom?ek, Anton Jane?i? and Pastor Andrej Einspieler. They relocated to Prevalje in 1919 and then to Celje in 1927, but were re-established in Klagenfurt in 1947. In the town several Slovenian-language papers were printed, including Slovakian glass periodical.
At the end of the nineteenth centuries, however, Slovenian culture and politics in Klagenfurt had decreased considerably, and at the end of the First World War the town showed a predominantly Austrian-German atmosphere. Nevertheless, in 1919 the Serb, Croat and Slovenian army invaded the town, claiming the reestablished South Slavic state.
The Yugoslavian occupiers retreated from the city center in 1920, but stayed in the lower districts such as victring and Ebenthal. 1938 the people of Klagenfurt increased by more than 50% due to the integration of the city of St. Ruprecht and the communities of St. Peter, Annabichl and St. Martin.
However, during the Second World War the bombing was repeated 41 time, the town killed 612 persons, destroyed 443 houses and damaged 1.132 others. 110,000 m³ of debris had to be cleared before the inhabitants could start to rebuild their town. At 9:30 a.m. on 8 May 1945, Eighth Army forces under General McCreery arrived in Klagenfurt and were received in front of the Stauderhaus by the new democrat town and the state officials.
Partisan groups came three hour later with a platoon that they had confiscated the previous morning in the Rosental, and at the same time Yugoslavian troops of the IV Armee arrived, who both claimed the town with their southern Austrian interior and immediately founded a Komanda stabila za Koro?ka,
One of the many resolutions was the declaration to the "People of Carinthia", in which the retirement of the Gauleiter and Reich Governor Friedrich Rainer, the handover of authority to the new administration and an appealing to the population to adorn their houses with Austria or Carinthia colors was reported, which was published in the Kärntner Zeitung of 8 May.
The next morning, when the Yugoslavian army asked the new Klagenfurt Lord Mayor to remove the Austro-Hungarian banner from the town council and hoist the Yugoslavian banner, the incumbent UK officer Cptn. Watson immediately banned the removal, but also ordered the removal of the Austro-Hungarian banner. A few earlier a few weeks the Yugoslavian forces retreated from the actual town, under UK pressures and with the support of US diplomacy, not before the establishment of a concurrent Carinthian-Slovenian civilian government, a National Council of Carinthia chaired by Franc Petek.
In the years following these tumultuous times, a large part of the Eighth Army, which was rebuilt in July 1945 as Britain's Army of Austria (BTA), was based in Klagenfurt, since Carinthia together with neighboring Styria created the UK occupied territory in freed Austria, which continued until 26 October 1955.
Arcade courtyard in the former town-hall. Klagenfurt was the first Austrian town in 1961 to establish a footbridge. Klagenfurt and Wiesbaden, Germany, were the very first town twinnings in 1930. This was followed by many town twinnings, so that Klagenfurt was awarded the European Town of the Year in 1968.
Klagenfurt has also been honoured three time, a feat of Europe, with the renowned Europa Nostra Diploma of Merit for the outstanding reconstruction and refurbishment of its old center. Klagenfurt took over four further neighbouring communities in 1973 - Wölfnitz, Hörtendorf and St. Peter am Bichl - and increased the number of inhabitants to around 90,000.
One of the attractions is the Old Town with its Old Square and the Renaissance building with its beautiful arcade yards. Minimundus, the "small village at Wörthersee " Wörthersee, the hottest of the big alpine lake, with Europe's biggest non-lake bathing area and a bathing area with 12,000 guests on one single sommerday.
The Maria Loretto Manor with its recently restored manor house, which until recently was owned by one of the Carinthian aristocratic Rosenbergs, but was finally purchased by the town. With 20% of the industry enterprises, Klagenfurt is the business center of Carinthia. The Klagenfurt is an important cosmopolitan aerodrome with links to several large towns in Europe and tourist destinations abroad.
Klagenfurt main railwaystation is to the southern side of the inner town. It lies at the junction of the motorway A 2 and A 37. Motorway A 2 leads from Vienna via Graz and Klagenfurt to Villach and on to the Italian frontier. From Vienna, the S37 leads via Bruck an der Mur and Sankt Veit an der Glan to Klagenfurt.
Loibl Pass B91 leads to Ljubljana, the Slovenian capitol, which is only 88 km away from Klagenfurt. Klagenfurt has a high amount of motor vehicles (572 cars/1000 population in 2007). Klagenfurt was to become a car-friendly town with many broad streets in the sixties, when the last tramway line was torn down.
Even a highway was planed, which would partially pass through the subterranean part of the town, but which now surrounds the town in the northern direction. Four rail routes from northern, western, southern and eastern parts of the country meet at the Hauptbahnhof southern of the urban center and stifle urban transport, a situation that was alleviated by a significant number of subways on the major highways.
There are no plans for a high-speed system with the current rail tracks, for a high-wire cableway to the so-called Fußstadion (football stadium) or for a periodic motor boat trip on the rental channel from the center of the town to the lakes. For those who like to enjoy travelling comfortably, there is a regularly scheduled motor boat and steamboat traffic on the lakeside, which connects the towns on the Wörthersee.
In harsh winter conditions, which no longer appear on a regular basis, you can of course skate across the ice more quickly. It has a state drama and operatic building with professionally run company, a symphonic orchestras, a state conservatoire and a concertsall. In Klagenfurt there are a number of smaller, but nice publishers, and also several newspapers or local issues, among them daily newspapers like "Kärntner Krone", "Kärntner Tageszeitung", "Kleine Zeitung".
The Klagenfurt is a favourite holiday resort with southern and northern hills, plenty of parkland and a range of 23 manor houses and fortresses on the edge of town. There is a magical Old Town celebration in the town during the summers, as well as high level general and vocational schools:
In 1969 the rowing world championships took place at the Wörthersee. In Klagenfurt, three matches also took place during the UEFA Euro 2008 Championships in the newly constructed Hypo Arena. The city of Klagenfurt was also a candidate for the 2006 Olympic Winter Olympics and is home to the Carinthian Black Lions, an American football squad that plays in the first league of the Austrian Football League.
Black Lions are attracting supporters from all over Carinthia and are home to Klagenfurt and Villach. Chrysanth Lorenz von Vest (1776 in Klagenfurt - 1840) Österreichischer Arzt und Botaniker. Frederick Martin Josef Welwitsch (1806 in the Maria Saal - 1872) The Austro-Hungarian researcher, plant analyst, uncovered the wonder of the world. Andrei Einspieler, (1813 - 1888) Slovenian political figure, Latin Christian preacher, reporter, "Father of the Slovenes of Carinthia" Hubert Petschnigg (1913 in Klagenfurt - 1997) Austria architectural expert.
Conrad Ragossnig (born 1932 in Klagenfurt) classic lute and guitar player. Karel Matthäus Woschitz (born 1937 in Sankt Margareten im Rosental) Austria's biblical scientist andologian. Wautischer (born 1954 in Klagenfurt) Austria philosopher, Sonoma State University Professor of Philosophy. Rudi "Rudi" Vouk, (born 1965 in Klagenfurt) Austria jurist, political scientist, defender of fundamental freedoms for the Slovenes of Carinthia.
Engo Zechner (born 1972 in Klagenfurt) philosophy and history, Larissa-Antonia Marolt (born 1992 in Klagenfurt) Austria style designer and actor. The Klagenfurt region has partnerships with the following municipalities. Statistics Austria - Population au début de l'année 2002-2016 par municipalité (1.1. 2016) pour Klagenfurt. Klagenfurt: ^ "Climate data of Austria 1971-2000 -Klagenfurt" (in German).
Zentralinstitut für Meteorologie und Geodynamik. Part II, Klagenfurt 1958, p. 119 Austrian name research28 (2000), vols. 2-3, Klagenfurt 2000, p. 83; and so: Paul Gleirscher, How Aquiliu became Klagenfurt. Legendary, hidden, buried, Klagenfurt 2007, pp. 59-65, The Teilisan fight in Carinthia, Klagenfurt : Drava 1980, pp. 305 et suivantes. still maintains that Yugoslavian guerrilla force freed Klagenfurt on May 7 and disarmed the last Hitler troops.
Similarly, the publication Otecestvenata Vojna na Bulgarija 1944-1945, Sofia 1965, vol. 3, p. 258, describes the plan for an advanced payment to Klagenfurt and Villach. August Walzl, Carinthia 1945, p. 127 f. ^ "Magistrate and State Capital Klagenfurt am Wörthersee - Population". www.klagenfurt.at.
Statistical Yearbook of the State Capital Klagenfurt am Wörthersee 2015" (PDF). Magistrate de la capitale Klagenfurt am Wörtherse. The A1 Beach Volleyball Grand Slam Klagenfurt presented by Volksbank :::". Wiesbaden's Intercity Connections. ikimedia Commons has medias related to Klagenfurt.