??) is a city east of Lake Issyk Kul. Discover the Karakol holidays and discover the best time and places to visit.
sspan class="mw-headline" id="History">History
Kyrgyz Karakol (Kyrgyz: ???????, Qaraqol/Karakol, ???????, Kyrgyz pronunciation: [q?r?qo?]), formerly Przhevalsk, is the forth biggest town in Kyrgyzstan, near the east tip of Lake Issyk Kul in Kyrgyzstan, about 150 kilometers from the Kyrgyz China-Burghistan border and 380 kilometers from the Bishkek metropolis. Issyk-Kul is the administration capitol of the region.
The area is 44 km2 and the number of inhabitants in 2009 was 66,294 (both inclusive of Pristan'-Przheval'sk). Karakol, a Soviet army field post established on 1 July 1869, began growing in the nineteenth centuries after discoverers came to chart the summits and lowlands between Kyrgyzstan and China. During the 1880s, Karakol's populace increased with an arrival of Dungans, China's Muslims escaping the war in China.
During 1888, the discoverer in Karakol, Russia, Nicolay Przhevalsky, passed away from typhus, while he prepared for an excursion to Tibet, the name of the village was changed to Przhevalsk in his honour. In 1921, after demonstrations, the name of the village was changed to Stalin's name - a ruling that was repealed by Stalin in 1939 to commemorate the hundredth anniversary of the discoverer's birthday.
Then Karakol stayed in Przhevalsk until the end of the USSR in 1991. Lake Issyk Kul was used by the Soviets as a test area for torque drive and control equipment, and Karakol was home to a considerable army force and their family. The Karakol is still an important junction for tourists visiting Lake Issyk Kul.
The city of Karakol is the forth biggest city in Kyrgyzstan after Bishkek, Osh and Jalal-Abad. Karakol's total number of inhabitants, according to the 2009 census, was 67,100. The Karakol has a moist, continent-like microclimate (Dfb). One of Kyrgyzstan's most important travel resorts, Karakol is a good base for outstanding walking, jogging, skiing and mountain climbing activities in the high centre of Tian Shan in the southern and eastern parts of the country.
It is also a cultural centre full of different ethnical groups that inhabit the area, such as Dungan, Uyghur, Kalmak, Uzbek, Russians and of course Kyrgyz. It is a great place to explore other nations and civilizations within the town. The Przhevalsky Tomb, a commemorative garden and a small Jewish musuem devoted to his and other Russians' exploration of Central Asia are situated about 9 km from Karakol near Przhevalsky, near Karakol, with a view of the Mikhailovka entrance to Lake Issyk Kul, where the former Soviets tested torpedoes.
The Karakol region is well-known among former USSR skiing and snowboarding enthusiasts for its skiing area. Only 20 min from the city, Karakol Skis Base offers a much better service than Shymbulak, a place outside Almaty, and has lower rates. In contrast to the Shymbulak residence, Karakol horseback trekking comprises both woodland and clearing paths.
Then in 1991, after the fall of the Soviet Union and the independence of Kyrgyzstan, the congregation returned the house to the churches, with the understanding that all further restoration work would be theirs. Issyk-kul Central Mosque of Karakol Municipality was constructed on the instigation of Ibrahim Aji.
Inviting the renowned Beijing architects Chou Seu and 20 woodcarvers with the abilities of Tibetan architectural tradition and composing technique to construct the Moscow Mall. In 1904 the work began and was finished in 1910. Brilliant technologies enabled the owners to construct the masjid without the use of a nail.
There are 42 columns in the memorial hall and the complex is surrounded by a multi-storey wood ledge adorned with pictures of grape, pomegranate, pear and peach trees. Between 1929 and 1947 (during the time of the Soviets ) the camp was used as a warehouse. Surrendered to the Moslem population in 1947, the complex remains a refuge.
Open for the public today. Typhus killed in 1888 on the evening before his fifth voyage to Central Asia; he was interred at Lake Issyk Kul not far from the village of Karakol. The Memorial Museum of N. M. Przhevalsky was opened in Karakol on 29 April 1957.
From 1918 to 20, during the tumultuous years, the Soviet Union's Revolutionary Committee was established in the Soviet Union, and in 1948 the Soviet Council of Ministers commissioned the transformation of the Soviet Union's buildings into a Jewish museums. Among the artefacts of Scythia are huge bronce bowls recovered from Lake Issyk Kul and petroglyph exhibitions in the area.
In addition to a large exposition of Kyrgyz perforated leatherwork, felt curtains and plaited jewelry, the Kyrgyz Republic has a colourful selection of folk dresses, fine jewelry and a good exposition of Kyrgyz arts and crafts. There is a hangar containing the regional wildlife - much of it is threatened and included in the "Red Book" (a Soviets stock of preserved species).
It is also a worthwhile visit to get a better understanding of how the Soviets have shaped the area. Some of the ramparts related to Kyrgyz unification with Russia and the ensuing revolutionary period are already historic artefacts in themselves. The Karakol Zoological Park was established in 1987. It is the only Kyrgyz hostel in the country.
When the Soviet Union came to an end, the country's economy broke down and the focus was on the creation of a new cultural landscape. Shape of the rock is similar to the heads of the seven steers, "Jeti" means seven and "Ögüz" means Taurus in Kyrgyzstan. The Barskoon waterfall is a sanctuary in the Jeti-Ögüz district of the Issyk-Kul region of Kyrgyzstan, 90 km southwest of Karakol on one of the Barskaun River creeks.
In summer the local inhabitants make their own jurta, where you can taste the Kyrgyz tradition beverage Kymys and at the same time enjoy the beautiful scenery. Here you can enjoy an extraordinary panoramic sight of the sea and the mountain capes. It is an ideal place for kids and grown-ups and offers an enjoyable walk near the lakes.
Known as the Dead Sea of Kyrgyzstan. It was opened in 2001 as a touristic town. It is also known as the "Medical Tour". Skip up to: a bidcc " 2009 Citizen Count of the Kyrgyz Republic: Issyk Kul Region" (PDF). Hop up "The Climate of Karakol".
Karakol". Skip up to: a d e f Lake Issyk-Kul a d e f g Lake prospectus and map. Commons Wikimedia has related Karakol related news items.