History indicates that Kandy was founded for the first purpose by Vikramabahu III (1357-1374 A.D.), who was the king of the Gampola Empire, just outside the present-day town, and called it Senkadagalapura. Kandy became the capitol of the last surviving sovereign empire of the islands in 1592 after the Portuguese invaded the coast.
Following the Sinhala-Portuguese war and the founding of the Ceylon in the Netherlands, efforts by the Netherlands to capture the empire were rejected. Although there were occasional assaults, the UK accepted a Netherlands presence on the Sri Lankan seaboard. In 1763, when a Netherlands retaliation power came back to the islands, Kirti Sri Rajasinha left the shore and retreated inland.
As the Dutch moved on in the next year's rainforest, they were continually bothered by diseases, high temperatures, lack of supplies and Kandyan snipers hiding in the rainforest, causing the Dutch severe casualties. First the Dutch succeeded in conquering the abandoned capitol, and the Candyans retreated into the forest and refused to fight an open war.
Next year the British also entered Kandy, which became known as the First Kandyan War, but were repelled. Kandy, as the capitol, had become home to the reliquary of the Buddha's teeth, symbolizing a fourth centuries custom formerly associated with the Sinhala Empire, since the guardian of the reliquary was the sovereign of the country.
The royal palace and the tooth temple were placed in the immediate vicinity of each other. Kandy's last royal family were the Nayaks. Until the beginning of the nineteenth centuries, Kandy remained autonomous. During the Second Kandyan War the British started an unresisted incursion that arrived in the town on 10 February 1815.
An agreement known as the Kandyan Convention was concluded between the Britons and the Radalas (Candyan aristocrats) on 2 March 1815. Kandy recognised George III as his emperor with this contract and became a protectionist state. Last Sri Vikrama Rajasinha emperor was taken captive by the Britons and taken to the Vellore Fort in South India as a kingly captive, along with all the heirs to the heir.
Her former residence is still called "Kandy Raja Aranmanai" in the east part of Thanjavur on Old Mariamman Koil Road. When the Kandyan Convention was signed in 1815 in the Sri Dalada Maligawa in Kandy, Sri Lanka first came completely into the control of a powerful state.
Vikrama Rajasinha of Kandy, a Southern descendant of India, the emperor was confronted with strong opposition from Sinhala chiefs and tried to cut back his powers. It ended over 2500 years with Sri Lankan emperors and the line of Candyan emperors and Rajasinha was taken captive. It was not written by the dismissed Emperor, but by members of his royal household and other officials of the Candyan Kingdom.
Previously, the town and countryside had been under English domination for 32 years, during which the Brits had dispossessed the peasants' public property and brought it into extremely poor condition. Kandyan village people were compelled to give up their way of living and become contract labourers in the hideous circumstances that reigned on these new farms and orchards, despite all the pressures of the colonial rulers the Kandyans rejected.
Rebellion began on 26 July 1848 with Gongalegoda Banda, topped off as Emperor, and Puran Appu, as Premier, and their primary goal of recapturing Kandy from the British. Mental rebellion was a Peasants' uprising in the simple people's hand, the Kandyan regime was completely extinguished after the Uva rebellion, marking the first stage in a shift from the classical Feudal style of anti-colonial rebellion to contemporary struggle for freedom.
For the first of its kind, the Kandyan Province led was handed over into the hand of common or non-aristocratic command. During the Second World War, in 1944, the Southeast Asian command of the Allied Forces was transferred to Kandy, where it stayed until the end of the conflict. She is the second biggest town of the isle and the capitol of the central province of Sri Lanka.
Kandy's geographical position has made it an important traffic junction on the island: although Kandy is the gate to the central highlands of Sri Lanka, the town can be accessed via large highways in all directions of the isle. Colombo's west seaport railroad line goes via Kandy to the furthest point of Badulla in the central highlands.
Principal streets Colombo-Kandy and Kandy-Nuwara Eliya are two of Sri Lanka's most beautiful streets; Colombo-Kandy street runs through gum farms and ricefields, Kandy-Nuwara Eliya street through ricefields and smooth teas. At present, viability trials are underway for another motorway between Columbo and Kandy via Kadawata and the picturesque town of Katugastota.
The Kandy is situated in the hilly and densely wooded inland of the isle. Knuckles and Hanthana, which gives the town a height of 500 meters above sealevel, are among several mountains. Situated on Kandy Lake and southern of Udawatta Kele Sanctuary.
Outline of the Kandy township and its surroundings for about three nautical miles, in 1815. Kandy is situated at an altitude of 465 meters above sealevel. His design evolved around two open spaces: an oblong plaza at the end of which are the administrative offices of the old capitol, and an artistic rectangular pond.
Meanwhile Kandy has developed to Peradeniya, the home of the University of Peradeniya and the Botanical Garden, Katugastota in the northern and eastern parts to Kundasale, Tennekumbura and Gurudeniya. Air photo of the town of Kandy. Candy is a charters town with a system of mayoralty. Kandy's mayor and council members are chosen by municipal ballots that take place once every five years.
Candy is a Sinhala major town; there are large community groups that belong to other ethnical groups, such as Moors and Tamils. It is still an important Sinhalese center of religion and a place of worship for Buddhists who belong to the Theravada-Schule. There is a Catholic Church with a bishopric in the town.
This is the second biggest town on the islands and the capitol of the central province. Kandy is home to many large companies and many branches such as textile, Sri Lankan precious stones, furnishings, information technologies and jewelry. There are many agricultural research centres throughout the town. Peradeniya Teaching Hospital is one of the best clinics in the nation, situated on the A1 motorway between Kandy and Colombo, near the Royal Botanical Garden of Peradeniya.
Kandy International will provide a flight connection to the Bandaranaike International Terminal in Columbo. 22 ] The new aerodrome will act as a catalytic converter for the Sri Lankan tourist sector. The A1 motorway (Kandy Road) links Columbo with Kandy. The motorway from Jaffna to Kandy is the motorway junction from Jaffna to Kandy.
The motorway A36 links Padiyathalawa with Kandy via Mahiyangana. The A10 motorway links Puttalam with Kandy via Kurunegala and Katugastota. The 115 km long Kandy - Columbo high-speed road is currently under way and represents a high-speed connection between the two main business centres. The northern bank of the pond, surrounded by a balustrade of early nineteenth centuries whitestone, is home to the city's historic landmarks, such as the Royal Palace and the Tooth Tower, known as the Dalada Maligawa (da?ad? m?lig?va).
The Dalanda Maligawa, rebuilt in the eighteenth centuries, was constructed on a grand stone foundation derived from the ancient Temple of Anuradhapura, the former Sri Lankan capitol. Everywhere in this small sacred town there are a number of newer buddhistic cloisters. Kandy's grandiose complex is an example of a structure connecting the Royal Palazzo, and the Temple of the Dent (Palace of the Dent Relic) is the place where the reliquary of the Buddha's Dent is located.
Initially part of the Royal Palace of the Candyan Kingdom, it is one of the most sacred places of adoration and pilgrimage for Buddhists around the globe. This was the last of a succession of churches erected in the places where the reliquary, the real palladium of the Sinhala Empire, was taken after the various resettlements of the main town.
Dental reliquary building, Palaces and Kandy sacred town are connected with the Buddhist spread story. It is the result of the last migration of the reliquary of the Buddha's teeth and the witness of a religious tradition still practised today.
Kandy Royal Castle is the last Royal Castle erected on the Isle. However, only a part of the castle remains. Tooth Temple was part of this set, due to the old custom, which states that the emperor is the guardian of the reliquary, through which the rulers of the country.
Today it is home to the Kandy National Museum, which has an impressive array of artefacts from the Kandy Kingdom and Britain's settlement. Other important Kandy  churches include Dodanwala Devalaya (shrine), Embekka Devalaya (shrine), Galmaduwa Vihara Monastery, Handagala Vihara Monastery, Medawala Vihara and Nalanda Gedige. Peradeniya Royal Botanical Garden is located about 5 km from Peradeniya downtown and is frequented by 2 million visitors a year.
24 ] It is the biggest botanic gardens on the islands, covering 59 hectares and containing over 4000 plant varieties. The Knuckles Mountain Range in Kandy is a UNESCO listed area. The Alagalla Mountain Range, also known as Potato Range, is both known for hiking in Sri Lanka.
Udawatta Kele (Udawatta Forest) is a secluded shrine in the centre of the town, just off the Temple of the Tooth. Well known as "Uda Wasala Watta" in Singhalese meanings, "the gardens over the king's palace", it was declared a woodland reservation in 1856, and was declared a shrine in 1938.
Royal Palace is a small parkland overlooking Kandy Lake and most of the town, known as Wace Island. There is a large part of the grounds of a Venetian artillery cannon taken prisoner by the UK Fourteenth Army in Burma during the Second World War and presented to Kandy by Lord Mountbatten, the Supreme Allied Commander South East Asia Theatre.
Candy is home to some of the oldest and most prominent schooling on the islands. Peradeniya University's Geological Institute in Kandy is the only geoscientific institute in Sri Lanka that emerged from the Faculty of Natural Sciences and has a long and significant tradition. The Institute of Fundamental Studies (IFS) is also located in Kandy.
The IFS is the leading Sri Lankan research institution for fundamental and practical research. Candyans do many things for recreation and amusement in the town. The Kandy is very beloved because of the perennial parade known as Esala Perahera, in which one of the inner coffins used to cover the Buddha's dental remains is carried in a large parade through the town' s roads.
That coffin will be placed on a king's bumper. Processions include folk dances and drums, provincial banners of the ancient Candyan Empire, the Nilames with their folk costumes, torchbearers, and the generously dressed elephants. The Kandy City Centre is a business and retail centre opened in 2005 in Dalada Veediya.
27 ] Is the most advanced commerce group in Sri Lanka. It has ultramodern facilities that include the Kandy style of building that was used in Sri Lanka during the Middle Ages. Downtown is home to several major banking institutions, a fully stocked grocery store, contemporary dining, an amusement area, a well-designed, state-of-the-art grocery store, Sri Lanka's premier bookstores, flower gardens and an Ayurveda area.
There' s a five-story parking lot outside, which is the biggest parking lot in Kandy. Most of the 1984 movie Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom was made in Kandy. Candy has a humble selection of dining options and an array of sweets. Mandy gave life to the pioneering debut dress of grunge Paranoid Earthling, the first ever Hill Capital based skirt group.
Candy is also the heartland for thrash metals like Pariah Demise, Forlorn Hope and some thrash metals like the early thrash metals in Kandy Forsaken and Ancient Curse. Just to name a few. Candy has a proud track-record of producing some of Sri Lanka's best athletes for a variety of disciplines including crime, youth soccer, association soccer, swim, ice hockey, athletes, ping pong, boxes ing, swim, volleyball, basketball, volleyball, ice skating, volleyball, golf and even ball games, all of which have recently been launched in Candy.
The Kandy team has created top quality caps of crime and hockey and athletes playing at the highest levels of all types of game. The reason for this is the Kandy Sportclub, the community's football association, which has been the current Bundesliga champions for almost a decade, as well as the affection and encouragement with which community clubs teach the game.
It has three premier squads in the Premier Trophy, Saracens, Kandy Cricket Club and Kandy Youth Cricket Club and is the capital for the Sri Lankan Premier League side Kandurata Kites. Kendy will be hosting the Sri Lanka national Cricket squad with two test stadiums, the Asgiriya International Stadium and the recently constructed Pallekele International Cricket Stadium.
The other cricket sites are Katugastota Oval (St. Anthony's College grounds), Lake View grounds at Dharmaraja College and Kandy Police grounds. Kandy town has a twin -town connection to: Kandy Asala Perahara. South Lanka: Kandy, Sri Lanka, World Heritage City: South Lanka: Gate to Kandy - Old memorials in the middle of Sri Lanka's rolling countryside.
South Lanka: The Kandy in war: Indigenous military resistance against the enlargement of Europe in Sri Lanka 1594-1818. ikimedia Commons has Kandy related medias. Vikivoyage has a Kandy guidebook.