How to get to Burma from Thailand

What is the best way to get to Burma from Thailand?

Crossing India (in Moreh, State Manipur) requires a permit that is issued separately from your visa; Bangladesh, Laos and China are currently not allowed for foreigners. While there are four land crossings between Myanmar and Thailand, only three of them are accessible if you enter on a tourist visa. I read in detail about Will Hatton's border crossings between Myanmar and Thailand. Actual routes within Asia include flights to Yangon from Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore and Bangkok.

It has four border crossings with Thailand:

Arrival and departure from Myanmar (Burma) via country

There are four Thai/Myanmarian checkpoints open to foreign nationals and Thailand provides visa-free travelling for nationals of many different nationalities, depending on the length of your visit - from 14 to 3 month. Mae Sot ( "Tak" Province, Thailand) / Myawaddy (Myanmar, Kayin State) is the most convenient place to continue to Myanmar because of its close vicinity to Myanmar's major transportation system and attractions such as Mount Kyaiktiyo (the Golden Rock), Hpa An and Mawlamyine.

On both sides of the'Thai-Myanmar Friendship Bridge' there are special foreigner ports - you don't have to queue in the same (sometimes long) line as the people. It is about one kilometer from Myawaddy Coach Terminal on the Myanmar side and five kilometers from the city of Mae Sot on the Thai side.

At Myanmar's side, the new Dawna Mountain highway - which connects Myawaddy to the remainder of Myanmar - is now open (so you no longer have to bother about the old single-lane highway with its changing one-way system). Watch our YouTube movie from the Myanmar-Thailand Myawaddy-Mae Sot area.

Foreign nationals can traverse the Mae Sai (, Chiang Rai Province) / Tachileik (, Myanmar, Shan State) frontier and continue to Kyaing Tong in Myanmar; to continue overland, you need a visa (read more here). Tachileik and Kyaing Tong have domestic flights to Mandalay, Yangon and Heho (for Inle Lake, Kalaw and Taunggyi).

Tachileik's economics are founded on cross-border commerce and commerce, and Thailand is the major country in the world (not Myanmar Kyat). For more information about onward transportation from Tachileik to Myanmar, go to Kyaing Tong. From Ranong (Thailand, Ranong Province) to Kawthaung (Myanmar, Tanintharyi region), the trip provides additional opportunities for Myanmar trips - busses or air services to Myeik, Dawei and northbound to Yangon, as well as to the Myeik archipelago.

Between Ranong and Kawthaung you can take a 25 minute long tail boat for 100 bhat. The Ranong immigrant reception is located at Saaphan Pla Pier and Kawthaung at the major pier in the center of the city. We are open from 7 am to 5 pm.

Please be aware that if you are only arriving for a Myeik Archipelago trip (not for further travel), you may not need a visas for the duration of your trip - a customs clearance may be all that is necessary. You do not need a Myanmar Myastpassport if you are a traveler for a brief period or a Thai entry visas, but you will need your Myanmar Myastpassport and a copy of the photograph page, plus $10 in crunchy memos for a Thai entry permission.

Watch our YouTube movie of the Kawthaung to Ranong cruise. The secluded frontier passage allows easy entrance between Phunaron (Phu Nam Ron) (Thailand - next city Kanchanaburi) and Htee Kee (Myanmar, Tanintharyi Division - next city Dawei). Please be aware that the e-visa is not applicable for entering the country at this checkpoint.

From Kanchanaburi there are four daily busses to the small frontier city Phunaron (70 Baht), which has a guesthouse. There are six kilometers of no man's country between the Thai and Myanmar frontiers and two control points about one kilometer apart. It is five-hour drive from the Myanmar side of the frontier to Dawei.

From Dawei to Thailand you can book a minibus to Htee Kee every day via most of Dawei's hostels and inns. Well-known as the "Three Pagodas Pass", the passage near Sangkhla Buri (Thailand, Kanchanaburi province) and Payathonzu (Myanmar, Kayin state) is not open to visitors from abroad. Singkhorn Pass is open only to Myanmar and Thais who travel in both directions for up to two nights.

They connect Mueang Prachuap Khiri Khan (Thailand) with a very isolated part of Myanmar's Tanintharyi Division (nearest city Myeik, although this would take one day's travelling time). In order to sail across the Ruili Shweli in Burma and the Chinese province of Yunnan / Muse (Myanmar, Shan State) you will need to put together a specific route pack by completing this registration sheet; the pack includes a guidebook and obligatory personal transport.

Reservations must be made at least one months prior to departure. China-Myanmar is currently completely shut down for aliens and we will be updating this page as soon as the weather changes. Yangon, Mandalay and Kunming have all foreign consular offices or diplomatic missions where you can obtain visas (Myanmar or China).

Foreign nationals are not allowed to pass other Chinese-Myanmar borders. There is a crossroads between Moreh (India, Manipur State) and Tamu (Myanmar, Sagaing Division) in isolated northwest Myanmar. When entering or leaving Myanmar, you must make a reservation for a specific tour by completing this registration request. You must register at least one months prior to your departure date.

While permissions are needed to cross the borders, foreign nationals can now move around these parts of Sagaing Division (Myanmar) and Manipur State (India) at will. Please be aware that you can only go to or from India and on to another country with your own transport (car, motorcycle or bicycle).

When you are on a trip, on the road by means of local transportation or similar, you have to get on and off at the same checkpoint. Foreign nationals are not allowed to pass other crossings between India and Myanmar. There are a number of long-distance trips to Myanmar, but please be aware that we are not able to provide one-off travel documents - if you are booking through us, you must take a fixed route led by us; this is mandatory for Myanmar travel agencies and we must always take care of our customers' security.

Entering Myanmar with your own motorcycle (motorhome, motorhome or motorcycle ) is subject to specific authorisation and must be escorted by a driver and sometimes a representative of the Ministry of Hotels and Tourism. Our experienced in routing, guidance, accomodation and logistic services will be happy to work with you on your long-haul journey to Myanmar (permits usually take at least one month).

Please be aware that bicycle groups also require a permit for crossing borders.

Mehr zum Thema