mw-headline" id="History_and_development">History and development="mw-editsection-bracket">[="/w/index.php?title=Hove&action=edit§ion=1" title="Edit section: Historical and Development">edit]>>
The Hove is a city in East Sussex, England, just West of its bigger neighbor Brighton, with whom it is the unified Brighton and Hove authoritys. This is a unique metropolitan area with Brighton and some smaller cities and small coastal communities. In 1997, Brighton and Hove were amalgamated to the municipalities of Brighton and Hove as part of the municipal overhaul.
The Hove borders Brighton to the south and Port Lade-by-Sea to the south, with a border gap of about 2. An outstanding characteristic of the countryside since 1200 B.C., the 20 foot (6.1 m) high burial mound produced, among other things, the Hove sundae. The artifact, made of tranlucent Baltic reddish stone and about the dimensions of a normal porcelain mug, can be seen in the Hove Museum and the Art Gallery.
You can find records for Brighton and Portslade (Bristelmestune and Porteslage) and small dowland villages like Hangleton (Hangetone), but nothing for the situation of Hove itself. The Hove is an old seaside village with the St. Andreas Basilica, which was founded in the year 12. ct. The Hove remains unimportant for hundreds of years and consisted of only a road in a north-south direction about 250 metres from the aisle.
Supposedly it was constructed around 1540 for Richard Bel(l)ingham, two-time High Sheriff of Sussex, whose letters are engraved in a chimney and whose emblem decorates a historical gypsum blanket. A traveler, the antiquarian John Warburton, in 1723 wrote: "I walked through a ruined hamlet named Hove, which eats up the ocean every day and is fairly abandoned in a fairly large way; but the temple is quite big and a good yard from the bank may escape".
2 ] However, the Ship Inn was constructed around 1702 at the seeward end of the road. Until 1821, the year in which the Prince Regent was coronated to George IV, Hove was still a small town, but the number of inhabitants had increased to 312. 4 ] The apartments were still on both sides of Hove St, encircled by an otherwise empty countryside with open fields.
Traffickers of the Hove became infamous and smuggled goods were often kept in the now partly restored St. Andreas Church. There was a fight between taxpayers and traffickers on the Hove shore in 1818, from which the latter won. In 1831, as part of Parliament's concert action to fight trafficking, a coast guard was opened at the south end of Hove Street next to the Ship Inn.
The bullring was also located at the foot of Hove Street. That was the last cop decoy that took place at Hove. In 1770, the fruitful coastline westward of the Brighton border had significant clay sediments and a brick field was laid out on the site of Braunschweig Square.
Later on, further brick fields were laid further westwards, which were preserved until they were replaced by residential buildings. During the years after the coronation in 1821, the Braunschweig property of the large Regency Homes with theatres, equestrian academies and its own policemen was built on the beach promenade near the border to Brighton. Though the inhabitants of these stylish homes within the Hove community have shunned the name of the poor town as an adress just a few miles to the east.
The negligent building along the coastline linked the property loose with the trendy Brighton, so that the name was used instead. The Brighton to Shoreham turnedpike, which dates from 1822, traversed the northern part of Hove along the Old Shoreham Road. Brighton General Gas Light Company was founded in 1825.
Despite the fact that the odor of carbon dioxide was infamous, the firm purchased lands in the countryside between Hove Street and St. Andrew's Church and in 1832 set up a two hectare natural-gas plant. Such a high smokestack and two gasometer site next to the cemetery was a major intervention in the population of Hove, but not for Brighton, the major consumer center, which is still far away and fast expanding.
Located in Hove, it has prevented the 1 pound per 8 tonnes tax on charcoal imposed by the Brighton Town Act of 1773. In 1819 a gas plant, which was constructed just south of Brighton and was therefore also exempted, was delivered by sailboats which dumped the money into horse-drawn carriages at high water and put it back into service at the next flood.
It was a naturally grimy and disturbing technique that would have been used in Hove until the railroad arrived in 1840. In 1871 a large new plant was opened in Shoreham Harbour near Portslade-by-Sea due to increasing market demands, and by 1885 all of Brighton and Hove's natural Gas production had been relocated there.
At that time, the Hove site, now predominantly inhabited, was only used for warehousing. Until 1831 the evolution of the east end of the community had raised the number of inhabitants to 1,360, but this did not bring much financial benefit to the community of Hove itself, and in 1835 the historic Thomas Horsfield described it as "a mean and unimportant collection of huts".
Between 1848 and 1871, England's oldest country club, the Sussex Cricket District used the Royal Brunswick Ground in Hove, which is located approximately on the grounds of today's Third and Fourth Avenues. By 1872 the team had relocated to what is now Cricket Ground, Hove. Between the villages of Hove and Braunschweig two other large settlements were built, both of which averted the name Hove:
The Cliftonville estate was conceived, created and engineered in the 1870s under Frederick Banister from the 1840s and West Brighton Estate. To the west of Braunschweig, the promenade of West Brighton Estate is the end of a row of alleys, starting numerically with First Avenue, which consists mostly of beautiful, walled Victory mansions for craftsmen and services people.
Situated in the heart of the old quarter, it was completely renovated at the end of the 90s, when the famous George Street was opened up on foot. Located in Hove, the company includes Palmer and Harvey, the UK's biggest supplier of snacks and owners of the British Mace Comfort Boutique label. The Hove has a complete system of local transportation with busses to all parts of the district, an Internet-accessible system of coach surveillance with display at some stations (a system built into Brighton) and taxi pick-up services in Brighton and Hove.
There are three train stops in Hove. The Hove train terminal has a looped line to the Brighton line to London, so there is no passage through Brighton. The Hove is on the West Coastway Line, as are the Aldrington and Portslade and West Hove outstations. One stop on Holland Road, between Hove and Brighton, was in service from 1905 to 1956.
It takes just over an hours to get to London by rail and a few mins to Brighton. You can follow the track along a trail along the West Hove Gulf Course; the trail goes to Devil's Dyke, and railroad ties that were once used under the track can be seen on both sides of the track, and the remnants of two of the railroad yards are still partly there, but are on privately owned soils.
There are about seven elementary colleges in Hove: There are four re-tout, St. Andrew's CE School, West Hove Junior School, Benfield Junior School, Goldstone Primary School, Hangleton Junior School, Cottesmore St Mary's Catholic School, Mile Oak Primary School, Sommerhill Junior School sowie Aldrington CE School Es gibt vier weiterführende Schulen :
Cardinal Newman Catholic School, Hove Park School und King's School. Brighton, Hove and Sussex Sixth Form College (BHASVIC), formerly Brighton, Hove & Sussex Grammar School, together with the Connaught Centre, Hove Park Sixth Form Centre and Blatchington Mill Sixth Form College, is a place of further training.
Also home to privately funded universities such as Hove College, established in 1977, Hove College is a non-profit privately funded college offering OCN London Hove College neighbourhood classes with UK study centres and kindergartens. The Hove College is 5 to 10 minutes walk from Palmeria Square.
There are also several separate colleges in Hove, among them Deepdene School, Lancing College Preparatory School (formerly Mowden School), Montessori Place, Drive Prep School and St Christopher's School (now part of Brighton College). In Hove there are also several colleges for international pupils of the British-speaking world.
Sussex County Cricket is at County Cricket Grounds, Hove. Up until 1997 Hove was the home of Brighton & Hove Albion F.C.'s Goldstone Grounds. The building permit for the club's new premises in Falmer, still within the boundaries of the town but on the Brighton side, was approved in September 2007.
Monarch's Way's long-distance trail leads from the Downs southeast through the city before taking the beach promenade westwards to its final stop at Shoreham-by-Sea. Hove The Hove Stockoon Yacht Club was founded in 1929 and still sails very active on the rock. Skip to top ^ "National statistic - Neighbourhood statistic by municipality".
Skip upwards ^ "Archived copy". High ^ Defoe, Daniel (1724). High ^ "Federick Dale railing". Jumping upwards ^ "The Hove club - About us". www.thehoveclub.com. Jumping up The Hove Club: Leap to the top^ Historical England. "The Hove War Memorial." Highjump ^ Skelton, Tim; Gliddon, Gerald (2008).
Jumping up ^ Willie 1978, p. 32. Skip up ^ "Archived copy". Jumping up ^ "Government gives King Alfred a thumb up". Leap up ^ "Frank Gehry's King Alfred schema deleted". For example "Hove Actually, as the place is often called, because its villagers thus distanced themselves from the people of his classy, slippery twins Brighton...."
Cally Law, "Time for a Wallpaper Change", Sunday Times, March 2, 2003, p. 4. Round-up Alex Bellos, "Town sees redevient rouge au lieu d'un mariage forcé", The Guardian, 24. März 1995, S. 6. Skip upwards ^ "Weatherbase". Jumping upwards ^ "Weatherbase.com". It'?s a brief story about Hove.
Hove: East Sussex County Council (Brighton and Hove Environmental Study Group).