Haverfordwestsouthwest of Haverland
sspan class="mw-headline" id="Topographie">Topographie
Premises are the former municipality of Prendergast, Albert Town and the Withybush area ( apartments, shopping centres, hospitals, airports and exhibition grounds). The Haverfordwest has taken a strategical location from ancient Rome until the opening of the Cleddau Bridge (1975), as it is the deepest accessible point of the western Cleddau.
Pembrokeshire is an important intersection of the roads between Milford Haven, Pembroke Dock, Fishguard and St David's due to its location at the Western Cleddau dell. Most of the city, consisting of the old St. Mary, St. Martin and St. Thomas rectories, is on the right banks of the western banks of the canal.
Situated on the northerly foothills, the fortress and the neighbouring village make up the centre of the municipality of St. Martin. The city has expanded from these central areas mainly along the mountain ranges. Beside the four old church parishes, the ruins of an Auguste priorate can be seen on the south outskirts of the city.
It has been an English-speaking city for hundreds of years (South Pembrokeshire is known as Little England Beyond Wales), but as the city fairs handled the goods of Welsh peasants in the northern and eastern parts, there has always been a significant Welsh impact. Prendergast seems to have emerged as a non-university Welsh hostel, from the time when all farming commerce had to go through the district, and the fearsome Normans before the demolition of Anglo-Norman rule in 1136 attempted to stop Welsh people carrying weapons from penetrating the ramparts after dark.
have claimed that there is no documented or archeological proof of colonisation of this site before the twelfth centuries, when the first Norman architectural palace was built. However, archeological findings in Pembrokeshire suggest otherwise. Numerous Iron Age and ancient finds of coins and artifacts as well as Dyfed Archeological Trust digs under the leadership of Heather James at Carmarthen (Maridunum) in the 1980' suggest significant Latin penetrability in this western part of Wales.
1992 the air photograph identifies a route leading to Poyston Cross via Wiston westwards from Carmarthen and past Wiston, increasing the potential for strongholds at Whitland and Haverfordwest passages. Haverfordwest's strategical location, with its protective cliff that overlooks the deepest removable point on Cleddau W, and is open to maritime transport, would have necessitated a probably humble level of Rom ance as of the 1 st centuries A.D. in order to secure the supply of the coastline.
In The History of Pembrokeshire (published 1909) James Phillips notes a find of ancient gold coinage at Haverfordwest, the oldest dating of which is a Baldrian and the last a Claudius Gothicus. Philips asserted that the pre-Norman name of Haverfordwest was Caer Alun, so called after Emperor Maximus (Macsim Gwledig). It is not stated where it came from, but Cambro-Briton in 1822 also noted that Maximus, the last Emperor of Great Britain, a man who shared the Empire with Theodosius I for some period of times when he withdrew from Great Britain a number of peaceful Roman-British villages, among them Southampton, Chichester, Old Sarum near Salisbury, Carmarthen (Caerfyrddin) and Haverforest (Caer Alun), the citizen, Maximus, the last Emperor of Great Britain to share the Empire with Theodosius I., who withdrew from Great Britain a number of other peaceful Roman-British villages, among them Southampton, Chichester, Old Sarum near Salisbury, Carmarthen (Caerfyrddin) and Haverforest (Caer Alun).
Philips claimed that the name actually given to the city was Caer Elen, in honor of his bride (the name was later changed to Caer Alun). Haverfordwest Castle's suggestion that it was established by Tancred, a Flemish Marcher Lord, is debatable. Gilbert de Clare was the Norman who built the palace in 1100.
The Constable of the palace is known to have been Itohert in 1207, he was the father of Richard Tancard, possibly a descendent of the first Tancred. Flanders' involvement, allegedly due to flooding in the Netherlands, was more likely to consist of Flanders soldiers stationed in the invasion force of William the Conqueror, who were rewarded for their share of William's victories with land in parts of northern Britain and Wales in the Gower, and Geraldus Cambrensis registered their involvement in hundreds of Roose in Pembrokeshire.
In Wiston, a Fleming, Wizo, who passed away in 1130, established a mote and courtyard fortifications, forerunners of the Steinburg, to protect against the Welsh warlords: the Flemish were allegedly disliked wherever they set up shop. In 1136 the Normans, who had already defeated 500 men in the Loughor battles, were again enlisted by lords from all over South Wales and lead by Robert Martin in Crug Mawr near Cardigan, attacking Owain Gwynedd and his troops.
In 1147, Wiston and the fort were overwhelmed by Hywel Sais, the lord's son Rhys. In his Polychronicus Ranulf Higden chronicles the Flamen as extinct in 1327 in Pembrokeshire, but in 1400 Flanders soldiers re-emerge when, at the command of Henry IV, they join an army of 1,500 British colonists who are marching just north of Pembrokeshire to strike the Owain forces at Glynd?r in Mynydd Hyddgen.
The Haverfordwest quickly expanded, first around the palace and St. Martin's Church (the village was known as Castletown) and then into the area of the main road. Immediately it became the capitol of the Hundred of Roose (part of Little England beyond Wales) and because of its central location it became the trading center of West Dyfed, which it has stayed until today.
It was a large city on a scale of that period, whose number of inhabitants was probably about 4,000-5,000. The city was named Country Corporator on April 30, 1479 by a statute of Edward, Prince of Wales, to support a counterfeiting initiative in community water. Sharing this difference only with Carmarthen and some cities in England, she stayed formally "The Town and County of Haverfordwest" until the district was abolished in 1974.
Like other large cities in Europe, Haverfordwest was heavily affected by the Black Death in 1348, with both de-population (perhaps more than 50%) and trafficking declining. Much of the city was deserted, and it was not until the Tudor era that the city began to heal. By the end of the seventeenth century the city was still considerably smaller than 1300.
The city was burnt down by the Owain Glyndwr ally in 1405, although Haverfordwest in its early days was less affected by such devastation than most cities in Wales. Consequently, there were major conflicts and the site underwent five changes of ownership. This was followed by a phase of economic stasis in which the comparable state of the city decreased.
Today Haverfordwest has the atmosphere of a small rural village, but the center still gives the feeling of an important medieval district. The Haverford Township, Haverford and Havertown in Pennsylvania, USA, are all called Haverfordwest. The Haverfordwest ist Teil der Preseli Pembrokeshire National Assembly for Wales constituency und der UK Parlamentary constituency. Please.
The Haverfordwest is a partnership with Oberkirch, Germany. The Haverfordwest Gymnasium, 1488-1978, was one of only two Wales state-run grammar colleges for a twentieth-century period. Municipal elementary modern colleges are the Sir Thomas Picton School and the Tasker Milward School. They offer further training and benefit both the city and the area.
Every boarding house has a list of about 1,200 students. The Pembrokeshire college, an affiliate of the University of Glamorgan, is located in the Merlin's Bridge district of the city. Pembrokeshire is the main Pembrokeshire training and development area. The Haverfordwest County A.F.C., a federation sports club playing at New Bridge Meadow Stadium.
It is also home to the Haverfordwest RFC Rally Association, founded in 1885, and the Haverfordwest Cricket Group. The Sir Thomas Picton School, one of the city's two colleges, also has a broad spectrum of sport venues, such as a purpose-built sport center, a field for ice skating, an astronomical lawn and a large athletic area.
The Withybush General Hospital is one of the most important West Wales hospital and part of the Hywel Dda Local Health Board, formerly Pembrokeshire & Derwen NHS Trust. Hywel Dda Health Board head office (Pembrokeshire, Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion) is located in Haverfordwest. The Haverfordwest airport serves Haverfordwest. The Haverfordwest train depot is on the West Wales Line.
The city is one of the most important "traffic junctions" in West Wales and is located at the intersection of the A40, A4076 and A487 roads and several country B-roads, among them the B4329, which leads north towards Eglwyswrw via the Preseli Mountains. Haverfordwest is connected by the A40 to Carmarthen to the west and Fishguard to the north; Haverfordwest by the A4076 to Milford Haven and Pembroke Dock to the southwest; Haverfordwest by the A87 to St David's to the northeast.
Christopher Bale, who starred as the main character in Empire of the Sun and Batman in Christopher Nolan's The Dark Knight Trilogy, was originally from Haverfordwest in 1974. A Welsh Canadian performer, Geraint Wyn Davies lived his early days in the city where his dad was the Congregational Minister of the Church. Simón Davies, a soccer player who has been playing for Fulham and Wales, was a native of Haverfordwest.
Haverfordwest was also the birthplace of Mark Delaney, a soccer player who used to play for Cardiff City, Aston Villa and Wales. The Sound of Music actor and vocalist, aged six, lives in Haverfordwest. Jennifer Gibbons, the silent selected Gemini whose history aroused interest internationally after Marjorie Wallace recorded her history, and June spent much of their infancy in Haverfordwest.
Haverfordwest was the birthplace of Simon Halliday, an English Rally League member. Kevith Haynes, Cardiff 1963 resident and leader of the Picture Frame Seduction pop group, visited the Sir Thomas Picton School in Cardiff. Ifans Rhys, who appeared in the 1997 Twin Towntown dark cartoon and Hugh Grant's mad roommate in Notting Hill, was originally from Haverfordwest in 1968.
Eliz James, stand-up and acting star, was originally from Haverfordwest in 1980, but raised in Carmarthen, which he called his home town. First Baronet, Sir William James, from Haverfordwest. It was Gwen John, an artists, who was borne in Haverfordwest; and her sister Augustus John, also an artists, was living through the present Lloyds TSB Bureau.
Mr Peter Morgan, a councilman, major and local Llanelli, Wales and Lions footballer, was a native of Haverfordwest and went to college. Phillips, a former TV host at GMTV, began living in Haverfordwest at the tender age of 18. A powerful UK sci-fi enthusiast, Greg Pickersgill was originally from Haverfordwest in 1951 and now resides there.
Haverfordwest was the birthplace of Sir Thomas Picton, a general of the English armed forces, who was slain in the Battle of Waterloo. One of the early UK hard-core early soul artists, Picture Frame Seduction was founded in 1978 in the city at the Sir Thomas Picton School. It was here that Gruff Rhys, vocalist of the Super Furry Animals Indie Rocking group, was conceived.
Madness leadsinger Suggs visited Haverfordwest High School for Boys in the early 1970s. Charlemagne II's lover Lucy Walter was borne at Roch Castle near Haverfordwest. Haverfordwest was the birthplace of Waldo Williams, a peaceful violinist and one of the most famous Welsh linguists of the 20th cenury.
Haverfordwest, Gomer, 1999, ISBN 1-85902-738-5, ^ "Haverfordwest paraish pop. 2011", Dillwyn Miles (ed) A Historical of Haverfordwest, 1999. Archives from the originals, 18 April 2015. 1 ] Filed on August 20, 2011, at the Wayback Machine. Archives from the orginal on 08.05.2006. Archives from the originals, 24 September 2015. Haverfordwest St. Mary's Basilica.
Archives from the orginal on 24.07.2005. Haverfordwest Tourism and Travel Haverfordwest City Council Community Sport and Leisure Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire South West Wales. <font color="#ffff00">Haverfordwesttown.co.uk. Archives from the orginal on 28.10.2013. Community Council Boundary Review - Pembrokeshire County Council ". Archives from the orginal on 12.01.2005.
Commisiwn Ffiniau a Democratiaeth Leol Cymru - Municipal Democracy and Boundary Commission for Wales (PDF). Archives from the orginal (PDF) on 15.06.2011. The Uzmaston fraternity will not merge with Haverfordwest (From Western Telegraph). Archives from the orginal on 12.01.2005. Filed copy. Archives from the originals on 29.09.2011.
Paul Davies National Assembly for Wales. Archives from the orginal on 12.02.2012. Archives from the orginal on 03.10.2013. Archives from the orginal on 05.10.2013. Debenham's opening in Haverfordwest causes street agoraphobia. Archives from the originals on 12 January 2015. New Welsh High-School opened in Haverfordwest with 28 million pounds.
Archives from the originals on 15 March 2018. Haverfordwest leisure opens its door. Archives from the orginal on 03.03.2009. Filed copy. Archives from the orginal on 27.02.2005. Pembrokeshire County Council - New bus station to open on time. Archives from the originals on 29.09.2011. Archives from the orginal on 02.12.2017.