Golden HollThe Golden Holl
mobile.trigger('next.owl.carousel'); }); }); }); On this unique important historic site we imagine new apartments as "Spatial Ribbons", which design the common and semi-public area. These" bands" are a particular formable architectural form - a sculptural combination of space-forming architectural forms between historic structures.
Proposals include a footbridge connecting the building with a musical gazebo in the Moscow River. The musical gazebo follows on from the story of the former Mariinsky School, where Sergei Rachmaninoff spent many years teaching. There are four distinct periods of the year in these hybrids for housing, work and leisure.
Swimming pool in the main part of the building is conceived to be frozen for ice-skating in cold weather. Ceramic lining the sculptured apertures in the blank façades creates a historic connection to Moscow polychrome - as in the rainbows of colours in Basilus.
dp="mw-headline" id="Zusammenfassung">Summary< class="mw-editsection-bracket">>>
The cornerstone of the edifice was layed on 25 August 1615 by the then master builder Elias Holl. It was finished in March 1620, the inside in 1624. The Augsburg Town Hall was a technological pioneer; after its construction it was the first six-storey structure in the whole city.
Two eye-catching ornamentation on the large pediment at the front of the palace represent the self-image of the Free Imperial City of Augsburg: the first is the Imperial Eagle, which represents the significance of the city; the second is the large cupreous pinecone or Swiss stone pine nut, the Augsburgsymbolism.
In 1828, the city hall was almost entirely obstructed by the market buildings until the city was ruined by a series of bomb attacks on the 25th February 1944. In the 60s, the remnants of the market were removed, making it possible to see the city hall from the city centre.
Augsburg's former townhall was erected in 1385 and in the early 17th c. it was resolved to carry out a mere restoration to house the Imperial Diet, which then resided in the cityscape. 1609 the municipal councillor asked the famous architects Elias Holl to prepare a restoration project for the Gothic edifice.
Only after six years of work could Holl draw up a scheme for the magistrate, but this was refused by the councillor, and to Holl's astonishment he received a new commission: to tear down the old Gothic townhall and build a nice new one in its place.
He drew up his plans for the new Augsburg Town Hall, which was to be constructed in the Renaissance order, and the cornerstone was set on 25 August 1615. The magistrate wanted the town hall to have no towers, but Elias Holl persisted on the infamous bulbous towers on the pediment and was permitted to continue in 1618.
In 1620 the town hall was finished outside and in 1624 inside after almost fifteen years of design and nine years of construction. Holl constructed three superimposed rooms inside the town hall: on the first level, behind the front door, is the Lower Fletz and on the upper level the Upper Fletz; however, by far the most imposing room in the museum is the two-storey Golden Hall with its splendid doors, wall paintings and panel ceilings.
The Golden Hall is followed by the Prince's Room, which is intended as a retreat for important people. Building costs of the new town hall amounted to about 100,000 guilders. Soon after the start of work on the town hall, the Thirty Years' War (1618-1648) extended throughout Europe and also took its tribute in Augsburg.
Now the Reichstag, for which the magnificent town hall was initially constructed, took place in other towns in Germany. It was not until the end of the seventeenth century that the town hall was once again the setting for a ceremony of supraregional importance, when Joseph I hosted a feast in the Golden Hall in 1690 to crown him king of the Romans.
The town hall was struck several time during the disastrous bomb attack on Augsburg in World war II by demolition and fire burns that burned the outside of the edifice entirely. It was reconstructed after the end of the Napoleonic invasion, its outside was modelled on history, but its inside was greatly streamlined, and from 1955 it was used again as the city's administration area.
From 1980 to 1984, the facade of the house was renovated according to historic notes in its pristine colors. In the interior of the Renaissance Palace, the Golden Hall, which had been destroyed during the Napoleonic Wars, was returned to its former glory, and on 9 January 1985 the Town Hall was re-opened on the occasion of the city's two millenniumiversary.
Visitors enter the Augsburg Town Council through an unobtrusive front gate, through an anteroom and into the lower courtyard on the groundfloor. It is a huge room with granite pillars and an arched roof, the front entry to one of two stairwells that lead to the top levels of the Town Council.
As a rule, this part of the town hall is not accessible. It was severely bombed during the Great Depression. The Golden Hall was not reconstructed after the end of the Great Depression, but rather kept in its former state with a wood ceilings, small doorways and wall plastering in whiteness.
At the beginning of the 1980s, the Board of Directors resolved to refurbish the Golden Room for the city's forthcoming 2,000th birthday in 1985. It was re-opened near its former splendour on January 9, 1985. In the following years, the mural paintings and the large amount of golden ornaments that had once adorned the room were restored and opened a second one in 1996, with the support of many gifts and the lively interest of Augsburg.
There are four Prince's Rooms on the edge of the Golden Hall. Also these rooms were heavily destroyed during the conflict, and only one is still completely renovated. Today the Augsburg Town Hall hosts continuous expositions on the past of the former emperor town and its twin towns as well as frequent alternating expositions on various historic and topical policy topics.....
Golden Hall is a favourite place for dinners, recitals and festivities. Untere Fletz and Goldene Saal are open every day, but admission to the Goldener Saal is subject to a surcharge. There is a Rathskeller in the lower level of the town hall.