Gelati MonasteryMonastery Gelati
?? ?????????) is a medieval monastery near Kutaisi, in the Imereti region of western Georgia. Nice monastery and the view of the city from up here are breathtaking. Architectural complex of the Gelati Monastery and Academy in Central Georgia is one of the most valuable religious and cultural landmarks of the country. The Gelati monastery is located near Kutaisi, Imereti, West Georgia.
Gelati Monastery, established in western Georgia in 1106, is a work of art from the Golden Age of Middle Age Georgia, a phase of strong politics and economical development between the eleventh and thirteenth cent. Gelati Monastery, one of the biggest orthodox convents in the Middle Ages, was also a center of scholarship and formation and the academy that accommodated it was one of the most important cultural centers in old Georgia.
Gelati Monastery, located in western Georgia and founded in 1106, is a masterpiece of the "Golden Age" of medieval Georgia, a period of political power and economic development between the 11th and 13th centuries. The monastery is characterised by the facades made of large blocks of polished and polished stone, balanced proportion and the external decoration of the arches.
Gelati Monastery, one of the largest medieval Orthodox monasteries, was also a center of scholarship and education, and the academy within its walls was one of the most important cultural centers in ancient Georgia. Gelati Monastery was founded in West Georgia in 1106 and is a masterpiece of medieval architecture in the country.
It was one of the largest orthodox monasteries in the Middle Ages and was a centre of science and education. At the lower south-facing slope of the Northern Caucasus hills, Gelati Monastery mirrors the "golden age" of mediaeval Georgia, a time of great prosperity and economical power between the rulers of King David IV.
In 1106 David began to build the monastery near his capitol Kutaisi on a woody hillside above the Tskaltsitela fortress. In 1130 the principal cathedral was finished under the rule of his father and descendant Demetré. In the course of the thirteenth and early fourteenth century, further cathedrals were added to the monastery.
It is lavishly adorned with wall murals from the twelfth to seventeenth c. and a twelfth c. fresco in the apsis of the central parish hall with the image of the Virgin and Child, accompanied by angels. Not only was Gelati a monastery, it was also a center of scholarship and formation, and the Academy was one of the most important cultural centers in old Georgia.
The Gelati also had a scriptory in which monasterial scriptors photocopied scripts (although its site is not known). The most famous of several of them is an abundantly lit XII centuries book, which is kept in the National Centre of the Manuscripts. Gelati, as a kingly monastery, had vast estates and was abundantly decorated with iconic objects, among them the famous golden icon of the Virgin of Khakhuli (now in the Georgian National Museum) and at its height mirrored the might and high civilization of Eastern Christianity.
The Gelati Monastery is a true work of Georgian "Golden Age" Georgian design and the best example of its building styles, characterised by full cladding with large smooth boulders, perfect balance of proportion and external dummy arch decor. One of the most important example of the quadratic kind of building, which has played a decisive part in Eastern European ecclesiastical design since the seventh cent.
The Gelati is one of the greatest Orthodox convents of the Middle Ages, characterized by its harmonious relationship with nature and a well thought-out overall plan. Gelati Monastery's principal cathedral is the only mediaeval memorial in the greater historical area of Asia Minor and the Caucasus that still has well-preserved tessellations, similar to the best of the best Bosantine murals, as well as the biggest collection of Central Myzantine, Late-byzantine and Post-Byzantine Georgian painting in Georgia, with more than 40 depictions of monarchs, princes and high clergy and the oldest representation of the seven Ecumenical Councils.
All the monastery district is owned and contains all the important monastery monuments from the twelfth and thirteenth c... In the course of the ages no important originals of the monastery from the twelfth and thirteenth c. have been destroyed, and the countryside has largely been preserved.
There is some developmental pressure in the buffers and the surrounding area of the site, but the scale of the threat is low and the process is currently underway. A large buffers area allows you to enjoy the full benefits of the harmonious relationship between the closed monastery and its surroundings. The Gelati Monastery has been a monument of great importance since the time of the Soviets and was entered in the Georgian Register of Monuments by order of the President in 2006.
In 2014, the culture reserve was extended beyond Gelati Monastery by a decree of the Minister of Culture and Monument Conservation to include the buffers area. It is a safe place for their memorials, but also for visible features. Nature assets of the neighbouring countryside are governed by the Forest Code of Georgia, the Soil Conservation Act, the Environmental Conservation Act and the Water Act, which provide the statutory frameworks for the forest and river basin in the region.
Requests for new buildings or alterations, as well as infrastructures and earth works within the buffers, are subject to the consent of the Council for the Protection of Cultural Heritage, Section for Cultural Heritage Protection Zones, and the Agency for Urban Heritage. The preservation work is based on the Master Plan Preservation, prepared by the Ministry of Culture, Monument Protection and Sport of Georgia in cooperation with the Orthodox Church of Georgia.
It includes the preservation of the monastery building and suggestions to help revitalize the monastery which began in the 1990' and the needs of people. It is necessary to set up a system of records for all preservation and restoring work as well as the three-dimensional measurement and supervision of the overall structural integrity of the various monastery monuments.
The Memorandum of Cooperation on Cultural Heritage between the Georgian-Apostolic Autocephalous Orthodox and the Ministry of Culture and Monument Protection of Georgia was signed for all goods of the State. The daily administration of the real estate is confided to the monastery commune, which lives in the real estate.
The National Agency for the Preservation of the Cultural Heritage of Georgia will implement longer-term measures. Through the 2017-2021 Leadership Action Plans, the Church and the stakeholders from the church, governments and communities that participated in the consultative processes are reflected. It has been drawn up in accordance with the Master Conservation Master plan, the Imereti Tourism Planning and the 2014 Imereti Protected Areas Managment Programme, which covers the Tskaltsitela River basin and gorge in the buffers.