Taugavpils (Latvian pronunciation:. ??????????[?da???fp??ls]; see other names) is a town in the southeast of Latvia, situated on the shores of the river Daugava, from which the town takes its name. The literal meaning of the word is " castle of Daugava ". This is the second biggest town in the state after the capitol Riga, which is situated about 230 kilometers northwest of Riga.
The town is relatively near Belarus and Lithuania (33 km and 25 km respectively) and about 120 km from the Russian frontier. Dugavpils is an important rail hub and industry center and is situated about halfway between Riga and Minsk and between Warsaw and St. Petersburg.
There are many natural reserves and ponds around the village. From a historical point of view, several companies have recognized Daugavpils in different tongues. It has a temperate mainland climatic zone. Daugavpils is characterised by a moist mainland atmosphere (Dfb). Daugavpils began its development in 1275, when the Order of Livonia constructed the castle of Dünaburg 20 km up the Daugava fortress.
Dugavpils became the capitol of the new Inflanty voivodship in 1621, which lasted until the first division of Poland (1772). 1582 the Magdeburger city right received there. During the Russian-Swedish war instigated by Tsar Alexis of Russia in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, the Russians conquered Dugavpils, re-named the city Borisoglebsk and ruled the area for 11 years, between 1656 and 1667.
Part of the Russian Empire, the town was named Dvinsk from 1893 to 1920. In 1920 the new sovereign state of Latvia changed its name to Taugavpils. Latvians, Poles and Soviets were fighting in the area around Taugavpils from 1919 to 1920. Between 1940-41 and 1944-1991 the whole of Latvia and Dugavpils were under the control of the Soviets, while Germany took possession of them between 1941 and 1944.
Nazis built the Daugavpils ghetto, where the city's Jews had to work. The Lociki Luftwaffe Basis itself was operating during the Cold War 12 km north east of Daugavpils. There was a suggestion in the later days of the USSR to construct a hydropower plant on the Daugava riverbank, which the burgeoning Latvian environment successfully resisted.
Dugavpils is an important center of culture in the east of Latvia. Over 1,000 instructors and graduates of the University of Taugavpils (formerly the Pedagogical University of Daugavpils) and the Riga Technical University's Riga office each year. There' s also a tennis court, the only one in the town, in Var?avas Street.
The Daugavpils Theatre was renovated a few years ago. It also has a movie theater and other facilities. There are many opportunities for culture at the city's fairgrounds. Daugavpils also has several architectonic, historic and heritage sites. Daugavpils is the most famous castle from the eighteenth and nineteenth century.
The Mark Rothko Art Center was opened in the castle in April 2013. Daugavpils historic center is an architectonic legacy of great importance (the building works were performed in the nineteenth c. after the St. Petersburg design approved in 1826). Its historic center is the city's biggest draw and one of the most succesful expressions of the balance between antiquity and modernity.
Taugavpils is one of the few Latvian towns that can be proud of a uniform collection of classical and ecclectic style. Taugavpils' unique character is the result of the rich legacy of its architectonic, art, industrial and historic landmarks in conjunction with its scenic setting.
Dugavpils is extraordinarily wealthy in reddish brickwork architecture. This diversity of ecologicalism is mainly found in the architecture of the town' s main patron from 1878 to 1895, the famous Wilhelm Neumann. The bus and tramway network of the town is monitored by the company Dugavpils satatiksme AS.
Chief of the Municipality is the Lord Major of Daugavpils (domes priek?s?d?t?js), literally'Council Chairman'. Previously, Mr Latgims was Lord Major of the Light of Latgale from 2001-2003 and a short-term member of the Social Democratic Workers Union of Latvia in 2009. The town was well industrialized during the USSR with a number of important large production facilities.
In an attempt to draw new investment, the Municipal Government established a number of free industrial areas around the entire town, which could be of interest due to the strategic geographic location of the town near the border with Russia, Belarus and Lithuania. FC Daugava and BFC Taugavpils are playing at Celtnieks Stadium in the town.
They both play in the upper league of Latvia. The Latgale DHK Latgale is also a current member of the Latvia League of Soccer. Latvijas Sp?dveja Centrs is currently hosting the Latvijas Speedway Grand Prix, with America's three-time World Champion Greg Hancock being the most victorious driver in Latvia, who won the 2009, 2009 and 2013 GP.
Locomotive Taugavpils is a motorcycle road racing club headquartered in Taugavpils, which is currently in Poland's premier league (2nd league). Work on the multi-functional sports complex began in 2008 and was concluded in October 2009. Dugavpils is a partner: High Jumping ^ "Latvijas www. latvijas. skaits www.latvijas.com 01.01.2012. PDF" (PDF) (in Latvian).
Leap up ^ "Daugavpils Climate Normals 1961-1990". Skip up ^ "Jewish Family of Dvinsk". jewishgen.org. High jumping ^ "No?auts Daugavpils www.grigorijs vicem?rs" (in Latvian). tvnet.lv. 2010-04-16. Hop up ^"Daugavpils |". Daugavpils.lv. Hop up ^"Daugavpils |". Daugavpils.lv. Jumping up ^ "Radom - Mirta partnerskie"[Radom - twin towns].
Municipality of Miasto radome (in Polish). High jumping ^ "Radom - mediasta partnerskie" (in Polish). radiom.naszestrony.pl. Daugavpils' Jews during the Second World War, on the website of Yad Vashem.