sspan class="mw-headline" id="Géographie">Géographie
The Chinandega (Spanish pronunciation:[t?inan?de?a]) is a town and the official residence of the Chinandega département (4.822. 42 km2) in Nicaragua. Nicaragua's fifth biggest town, it has 134,720 residents (2015) and 151,000 in the area. Situated about 134 km north west of Managua and about 72 km south-west of El Guausaule, on the Honduran coast.
Chinandega and its surrounding areas mainly produce farm produce, in particular oil, meal, peanuts, prawns, cane, with factories in Chichigalpa and El Viejo and the manufacture of internationally renowned spirits. Wind is wet and warm because the town is in the tropical and low altitudes. To Chinandega it is about 20 km (12 miles) from the Pacific Ocean.
Chinandega is a town on the border with Honduras and is traversed by the CA-1 or Pan-American Highway. Chinandega covers an area of 4,929 km and has a total of 378,970 inhabitants spread over thirteen municipalities: The Chinandega (Abteilungssitz), El Viejo, Corinto, Chichigalpa, Posoltega, El Realejo, Puerto Morazán, Villanueva, Somotillo, Santo Tomás del Norte, Cinco Pinos, San Pedro del Norte and San Francisco del Norte.
Département has a large number of sandy areas, nature parks, historical cities, mangrove forests and old church buildings; the San Cristóbal vulcano, the highest in Nicaragua, is located here, as are the other San Cristóbal vulcanoes (El Chonco, Moyotepe and Casita), and further eastwards the Casigüina vulcano, which forms the mainland. It is also a centre of agricultural activity cultivating sugar cane, Bananas, Groundnuts, Sesame seed, Cashew nuts, Orange and Grain.
Corinto's harbour, also in Chinandega, is the most important in western Nicaragua. Among the locals of the section are Salomón Ibarra Mayorga, author of the Nicaraguan hymn, Tino López Guerra, songwriter of "Rey del Corrido", the preacher Tomás Ruiz and sportsmen like Vicente Padilla and Próspero González. In Chinandega, an official village (Poblado) from 1796, well-designed streets were constructed according to the plans of the architect Antonio Rojas.
The 30th March 1835 saw the enactment of a statute requiring the creation of a trade show on 8 December each year. During the reign of José Núñez on March 15, 1836, she was awarded the status of Municipality (Villa), and on September 2, 1839, she was awarded the status of Municipality.
It became the ephemeral Federal Republic of America's capitol in 1842 and the centre of a new administration in 1858. Chinandega was struck by Hurricane Mitch on November 1, 1998. According to its past as a colony and its plans from the early days of colonialism, the town lies around a main garden with the lovely Romance Cathedral of Our Lady Santa Ana, a very important local temple.
In 1885 the cathedral was hit hard by an earth quake and later restored to its present condition. Bishop Morel of Santa Cruz wrote in June 1751 that this temple had "three ships on the banks of the torrent, with vestry and chancel nearby, two small bell towers, calcareous stone walling and tile floors".
On the northern and southern sides of the temple there are two antique gates in the Antigueño tradition that survive the quakes, among them the 1925 quake that destroyed the facade and the tower. Reconstructed in its former splendour of colonialism, the temple is awaiting the proclamation that it will become the headquarters of a new bishopric in which the temple itself will become a dom.
Its first building was made of clay, but on 11 October 1885 it was devastated by an earth quake and later reconstructed. Recently the COEN Foundation renovated the chapel. The origin of the most recent building lies in a building dating from 1855, which was nevertheless damaged by an 1885 earth quake.
Following the eruption, on 25 December 1856, a picture of Our Lady of Guadalupe was first exhibited in the temple, and Pope Pius IX raised it to the status of a shrine, the first Central American temple to receive this name. Reconstructed by the COEN Foundation, it celebrates its main festival on the 12th of December, with Easter Week celebrations and parades.
During the 1885 quake, this building also sustained serious damages and was extended. Inside its walls, lavish marriages were held between the members of the nobility. By 1923, with the Franciscan friars arriving in the chapel, it was fully reconstructed.
There are many of Chinandega's palaces that date back to the early Spanish period, although not on the scale of the towns of León and Granada in Nicaragua, as many of them were bombed in 1928 by the liberals who rebelled against the conservative Adolfo Díaz. Much of the town was devastated and only the church remains intact.
There is no coding in the town to protect itself from cold architectural influences, as León and Granada do. Chinandegas' rich culture and history date back to before the time of the Spaniards' occupation, when this area was populated by various native peoples, perhaps from the northern part of Mexico. In the town there is a Museo Enrique Mantica Deshon, which contains 1200 artefacts of pre-Columbian age.
Rodrigo Callejas" is a town theatre that can accommodate 400 persons. In Chinandega there are two teams that have both been among the country's best in recent years: FC Chinandega and VCP Chinandega. Chinandega also call the town their home as a member of the Nicaragua Professional Baseball League.
Commons Wikimedia has created related Chinandega related news items. "Chinandega."