Candacraig House HistoryHistory of Candacraig House
Candacraig, initially constructed in the seventeenth centuary, was expanded in 1836 by Aberdeen Baronialist Tudor Johnny Smith with his black-peppered towers and crow's dormers. The house, which was expanded at the turn of the last millennium, was partly rebuilt in 1955 by the regional author Alexander McKenzie while maintaining his original Scotish architectural styles.
Candacraig' s rule was formally transferred to the Andersonis in 1620, and the property stayed with the Andersonis for 10 generations until it was bought by Sir Charles Forbes in 1866. It was bought in 1900 by Andrew Wallace, whose descendants held Candacraig until 1980. Recently, the house belonged to Gordon and Anita Roddick, the creators of the Bodyshop Group.
It aroused great interest in the press as Hollywood VIPs became frequent visitors. Connolly bought the brick-covered summer houses and courtyards that restore Candacraig's private sphere - part of its unparalleled attraction.
GDL00083 (CANDACRAIG HOUSE)
It is an excellent landscape contributor to the Strathdon Valley. There are forests, unofficial backyards and an imposing brick walling. In the middle of the 18th cent. park landscapes and protective forests are an unmistakable landscape contribute to the location and the rocks and aquatic parks and casual parks built in the twentieth cent. house an extraordinary collection of bushes, rose and aquatic herbs.
In the middle of the 18th c. 1820, in the middle of the 18th c. Plantation of trees and from the 1920' to the 1970'. Candacraig' s work of art is due to the landscaping of the enclosed gardens and the forest gardens. Though there has been a house in Candacraig since the middle of the 17th cent. there are no early notes on the evolution of the landscaped area and it therefore has a small historic value.
Candacraig' s selection of selected bushes and herbal materials in the enclosed gardens and the glory he has achieved with his roses give him a certain gardening value. It is a landscaped area that provides the framework for several B-listed architectonic characteristics that give it a high degree of architectonic value. Candacraig' s location in Strathdon and its contributions to the southern panorama give it exceptional natural value.
Its diversity of relatively unspoilt forest, rivers and ponds gives it a high priority for nature conservation. Located in the Don Basin in the Grampian Mountains, about 29 km northern of Ballater and 14.5 km southwest of Rhynie. Up until recently, it was part of the Candacraig Estate, which covered 13,500 hectares (5,468 ha) and bounded the Don for about 16 mile (.25 km).
It is bordered to the south by the Don and included by the B973 to Strathdon, one kilometer afar. There is a small street just down the riverbank with a magnificent view of the house in its surroundings. Grampian Mountains are important for the wide view from the house.
From at least the first issue of the OS card of 1865, the park scenery of Candacraig is limited to a rather small stretch to the south of the B973 and between the B973s and extends in the southern direction to the northern border of the shore field. Today, the extension of the landscaped area is still similar to 1865, but three lakes were created within the landscaped area southeast of the house.
As a result of the various changes of owners, old land plots were lost from the house, and the available proofs are based on the OS-cards.
Aside from the proprietors, especially the wallaces that created the floral parks, there are no known creators. By the mid-17th centur y, the property was owned by the Anderson dynasty, who had created the park landscape around 1820, created protection forests and a surrounded vegetable park. In 1836 Aberdeen Baronialist Tudor Johnny Smith extended the house with some of the manor's granites.
The Wallace house was bought by the Wallace people in 1900, George Gordon of Inverness in 1900 and 1928. Wallaces planted the enclosed backyard as a floral and marketable garden, and in 1920 the area of the former backyards was expanded to incorporate a stone yard and new pathways southeast of the enclosed backyard.
The house was severely destroyed by fire in 1955 and the rebuilding was done by A.G.R. McKenzie from Aberdeen. In the swampy area just southwards of the kennel, three lakes were laid out to better protect the house in the area. The western, biggest lake is seen from the front of the house.
Both Mr. and Mrs. Wallace were enthusiastic planters and built a very unique backyard; both passed away in 1975. The entire property was brought to town in 1982 and the house and 23 hectares of policy were bought by Mr. Scott. Candacraig House was bought in 1986 by Julian Ludlow and Sheila Hazlewood.
In 1836, Candacraig House was remodeled according to plans by John Smith with supplements in 1900 and 1928 and restored by A.G.R. Mackenzie after a fire in 1955. Formerly known as The Square, the office dates from 1835 and is protected for the group that included the 1820 bricked gardens and North Lodge.
In the western part of the gardens there is a small Gothic house. Doocot is a large house from the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, some way from the house, near the kennel, and is a protected monument B. The temple in the southern part of the house was built in 1963 with material from the destruction of the Altyre house.
Guard forests around the house are 150 years old. Younger orchards are located mainly around the lakes and protect the gardens. In the 1920s, the gardens were enlarged and enlarged to the southwest and west of the house and the enclosed gardens. On the way to the northern side of the pond you will pass through the remnants of an old backyard, possibly a rockery, around an old wellhead and vertical stones.
The road goes to the temperietta, built in 1963 under the grassy hillside and the patio in front of the house. The view would have stretched over the lakes to the Doocot, but the nearby tree population now intervenes. The decorative deciduous tree is located in the southern part of the house. On the northwest side of the house and above the northern propulsion system is the enclosed gardens.
You will find some beautiful forged doors in this backyard and a Gothic summer house in the western part. It was once known for its collections of floral and bush flowers. From the part of the tower, a gate opens into the square part of the enclosed gardens, which is divided by a hedge, perennial border, vault of honeysuckles and a grid of towering stairs.
It has been planted as a plant nursery with many specific species of plant, but has become quite wild in recent years. Until 1960 both veggies and cathedrals were grown in this gardens, but in 1960 a new kitchen gardens was established just south of the northern entrance, just down the hill from the enclosed one.
In addition, we are advising the Scottish Ministers on the identification of historical maritime reserves. This is a listing of Scotland's most important parks and landscaped areas.