Cadiz (;Spanish: [?kaði?]; see other debates below) is a town and a harbour in the southwest of Spain.... Cádiz is the province's main town, one of the eight that make up the autonomic municipality of Andalusia. Cadiz, considered by many to be the oldest continually populated town in Western Europe, with archeological remnants from 3100 years, was established by the Phoenicians.
Since the entry of the Bourbons in the eighteenth centuries, it has been an important home harbour for the navy. It is a member of the network of the oldest cities in Europe. 5] It is also the seat of the University of Cádiz. On a small piece of countryside bordered by the ocean, Cádiz is in many ways a typical town of Andalusia with an abundance of beautiful views and well-preserved historic monuments.
Cádiz' older part within the remains of the ramparts is generally known as the Old Town (Spanish: Casco Antiguo). Whereas the old town's streets consist of small streets linking large squares, newer parts of Cádiz usually have broad lanes and contemporary architecture. It is also littered with gardens where rare species of vegetation thrive, among them huge shrubs, allegedly introduced to Spain by Columbus from the New World.
Only very few remnants of the language of Phoenicia remain, but numerismatic engravings prove that they knew the site as Gadir or Augadir (), which means "The Wall", "The Terrain" or (metonymically) "The Fortress". 8 ] From the Berber utterances lent, it became the agiadir (Tamazight: "wall"; Shilha: "fortified granaries"), which is usual in Northern Africa place name.
Grecian Coton relates to a Karthaginian style of stronghold that can be seen in old places such as Motya. Loft Greeks springs hellenised Gadir as tà Gádeira (Ancient Greek: ?? ???????), which is neutral in pluralism. Latin for the town was G?d?s and its Latin settlement was known as Augusta Urbs Iulia Gaditana ("The August Town of Juliet of Cadiz").
Occurred in Arabian the name Q?dis (Arabic: ????), from which the Spaniard Cádiz comes. From Cádiz, the demon of Spain for men and things is Goditano. In 2016 the number of inhabitants in Cádiz was 118 according to a 2016 forecast. Cadiz is the 17th biggest town in Spain. Over the last few years, the number of inhabitants of the town has been decreasing constantly; it is the only town in the Bay of Cádiz (the county consisting of Cádiz, Chiclana, El Puerto de Santa María, Puerto Real and San Fernando) whose populations have decreased.
Cádiz is one of the most populous towns in Europe in terms of residential areas. 63. The undeveloped Zona Franca industry area, the Cádiz Bay port area and the Cádiz Bay Nature Park are the 63rd largest in the world. Thus, the whole urban populace live in the other 4.4 km2, with an avarage concentration of almost 30,000 people per km2.
There are 10 departments in the municipality for statistics reasons, the most populous with 39,592 people per km2, the least with 20,835. Below is a list of the area, populations and densities of the ten statistics departments of Cadiz. Departments 1 to 7, the "stats divisions", are part of the Old Quarter; 8, 9 and 10 are the " new cities ".
Established around 1104 B.C. as Gadir or Agadir by Phoenicians from Tyre, Cádiz is considered above all as the oldest still existing town of Western Europe. In 410, the fall of Romans by the Visigoths in Hispania Baetica led to the demolition of the old town, of which only a few remains still exist today.
Between 711 and 1262, under Arab domination, the town of Q?dis was named, from which the contemporary name of the town was taken. There is a well-known Moslem myth about a "idol" (sanam Q?dis) over 100 ells high on the edge of Cádiz, whose magical power obstructed the Straits of Gibraltar in opposing wind and current; its devastation by Abd-al-Mumin c. Q?dis is said to have allowed vessels to pass through the Straits again.
An even more severe assault took place on the town in 1596 when it was conquered by an Anglo-Dutch navy, this one under the Counts of Essex and Nottingham. Twenty-two Spaniards were devastated and the town was conquered, plundered and squatted for almost a whole week. Eventually, when the king's officials declined to give a price requested by the English to return the old town in good order, they burnt much of it before going with their prey.
In 1625 a third British invasion was carried out against the town by George Villiers, the first Duke of Buckingham, and Edward Cecil, but the experiment was not successful. Admiral Robert Blake blocked Cádiz during the Anglo-Spanish war from 1655 to 1657. At the Battle of Cádiz in 1702, the British under George Rooke and James Butler, the second Duke of Ormonde, again launched an attack, but they were fended off after an expensive besiege.
The sandbanks of the Guadalquivir in the eighteenth centuries compelled the Guadalquivir to shift their US commerce from Seville to Cádiz, which now had better Atlantic waters. Even though the kingdom itself was in decline, Cádiz now lived another gold period through its new meaning. Many of the present historical edifices in the old town date from this period.
In the Napoleonic Wars, Cádiz was blocked by the British from 1797 until the Peace of Amiens in 1802 and again from 1803 until the Peninsula Wars broke out in 1808. It was one of the few towns in Spain in this period that prevailed against the French invaders and their nominee Joseph Bonaparte.
Cadiz then became the headquarters of the Supreme Headquarters and Cortes (Parliament) for the period of the Napoleonic Wars. Here the libertarian Spaniard condition of 1812 was announced. In 1820 the burghers rebelled to ensure the restoration of this constitutional system, and the revolutionary movement continued until Ferdinand VII was arrested in Cádiz.
Cádiz was once again the site of a revolutionary in 1868, which led to the resignation and expulsion of Queen Isabella II. Only two years later, the Cádiz Cortes resolved to rebuild the royal house under King Amadeo. During the last few years the town has been heavily rebuilt. Cadiz and Ceuta are suffragans of the archdiocese of Seville, i.e. it is a bishopric within the greater Seville area.
With the Concordat of 1753, in which the Spaniard Krone also received the right to occupy ecclesiastical posts and to levy taxes on ecclesiastical property, the Cadiz archdiocese was amalgamated with the Ceuta archdiocese, a Spaniard concert on the north shore of Africa, and the archdiocesan became the Apostolic Administrator of Ceuta because of his position.
Tomás de Torquemada, his cousin, is most connected to the Spanish Inquisition of the fifteenth cent. Some of the many sights of historic and landscape interest in Cádiz are outstanding. It boasts an exceptional and diverse style temple, a theatre, an old urban structure, an eighteenth centuries watch tower, a remnant of the old walls, an old Rome theatre and power poles in a strikingly contemporary style that run across the Bay of Cadiz.
Its old quarter is characterised by small alleys linking places bounded by the ocean and the ramparts. The majority of the listed building are located in the square. Cádiz' old quarter is one of the most heavily settled areas in Europe and is full of small roads.
They are the Mina Square, San Antonio Square, Candelaria Square, San Juan de Dios Square and Spain Square. Situated in the centre of the old city, the Mina Square was built in the first half of the nineteenth cent. In the past, the lands covered by the square were the orchards of the San Francisco monastery.
In 1838 the square was transformed into a square by the architects Torcuato Benjumeda and (later) Juan Daura, whose tree was transplanted in 1861. It' called after General Francisco Espoz y Mina, a champion of the Revolution. Manual de Falla y Matheu was borne in the number 3 place of Mina, where a badge carries his name.
There are also several sculptures on the square, one of which is a statue of José Macpherson (a precursor in the evolution of petrology, statigraphy and tectonics), who was borne in 1839 in number 12 of Mina Square. Located in No. 5 Mina Square, the Cádiz Museum contains many exhibits from Cádiz's 30-year past, as well as works by Peter Paul Rubens.
Many of the buildings opposite the squares, which can be classed as neoclassical buildings or constructed in the Isabelline Gothic period, were initially inhabited by the Cádiz middle class. Santiago's Cathedral and Baroque Sanctuary, dating from 1635, are housed in the Cathedral Plaza. Situated next to Mina Street, this smaller place contains the San Francisco Monastery and Curch.
29 ] Initially, the Mina Place was the monastery fruit-garden. San Antonio squares were regarded as the central place of Cádiz in the nineteenth centuries. Several villas, in neoclassical or Gothic Icelandic styles, once inhabited by the Cádiz elite, surround the place. The San Antonio Sanctuary, initially erected in 1669, is also on the site.
Constructed in the eighteenth and eighteenth centuries, on 19 March 1812 the Constitution of 1812 was promulgated, giving the place the name Pláza de la Constitución, and later Pláza San Antonio, after the recluse San Antonio. Place de Candelaria is called after the monastery of Candelaria, which is located on the place until it was torn down in 1873, when its site was transformed into a place.
There is a sculpture in the middle of the place by Emilio Castelar, chairman of the first government of the country, who was borne in a building opposite the town. Another badge on another home says that Bernardo O'Higgins, an Irish-Chilean explorer and former dictator of Chile, was living on the place.
The building of this square began in the fifteenth centuries on land extracted from the ocean. In 1906, with the destruction of the city wall, the square was enlarged and a sculpture of Cádiz political figure Segismundo Moret was revealed. The Ayuntamiento with a view of the square is the old townhall of Cádiz.
In 1861 the second phase was finished under the leadership of García del Alamo in the Isabellengothik Gothic way (Spanish: Gótico Isabelino or just Isabelino). Plaza de España is a large plaza near the harbour. The town is overshadowed by the monument of the Constitution of 1812, which was created by the destruction of part of the old town fortification.
It is an expansion of the old Plazuela del Carbón. It was the aim of this deconstruction to construct a large new town place for the centenary of the liberals' constitutional declaration in 1812 and to establish a framework for a monument. Cádiz had more than 160 turrets in the eighteenth centuries, from which locals could look out over the ocean to find incoming trading vessels.
There is a cam observation room, a room that uses the hole pattern, and a special conjugate objective to show the panorama of the old town on a curved screen. Casa del Almirante is a palace-like building adjoining Plaza San Martín in the Barrio del Pópulo, which was built in 1690 with the revenue from the profitable trading with America.
Its construction was carried out by the Indian Navy, Don Diego de Barrios, the noble member of the Royal Army of the Treasury of Spain. Within the boundaries of the ramparts that guard the flanks of the harbour of Cádiz, there are three identically neighbouring buildings: the Customs House, the Rental House and the Consulate.
Founded in 1980 in the El Pópulo neighbourhood, after a fire broke out in some of the old storehouses, the Rome Theater unveiled a building stratum that served as the basis for some of the mediaeval structures, the bases of which were in turn erected on much older stone, handcrafted lime of Latin nature.
Cádiz' cones are poles of exceptional shape, one on either side of the bay of Cádiz, used to house enormous electrical cabling. It was necessary in the twentieth centuries to redesign the old town gate for contemporary use. Today, the two adjacent archways carved into the walls are one of the main entries to the town.
Its name derives from the name of Gaspar de la Rosa, who used to live in the town in the eighteenth centuary. Sheltered by a seafront rampart that had previously been used as a seafront rampart, the canons of Candelaria were able to control the canals that approached the harbour of Cadiz. San Sebastián Castle is also a fortress at the end of a street that leads from the Caleta coast.
Santa Catalina Castle is also a fortress and is located at the end of Caleta beaches. In 1598 it was constructed after the English pillage of Cádiz two years before. Cadiz, located on a peninsula, is home to many beautiful sandy shores. Playa de la Caleta is the most popular of Cádiz' beautiful coves.
Because of its incomparable natural beauties and its closeness to the Barrio de la Viña, it has always been a part of carnival music. This is the old town strand, located between two fortresses, San Sebastian and Santa Catalina. The Caleta and the boulevards are very similar to parts of Havana, the Cuban capitol, such as the Málacon.
Playa de la Victoria, in the newer part of Cádiz, is the most popular tourist and local sandy spot in Cádiz. The town is divided from the town by an alley; on the country side of the alley there are many stores and bars. Playa de Santa María del María oder Playita de las Mujeres ist ein kleiner Strand in Cádiz, der zwischen La Playa de Victoria und La Playa de la Caleta liegt.
There is an outstanding view of the old town of Cádiz. Cadiz is one of the most popular fairs in the whole year. All year round the town' s animation is almost permanent; there are always samples, open shows and competitions of various sorts. Cadiz Mardi Gras is known for the Chirigota groups of satirists who play comic music.
This varied spectacle makes the town a colorful and beloved open-air theater for two February week. Carnavalescas (the Concurso Oficial de Agrupaciones Carnavalescas) annually hosts a competition at the Gran Teatro Falla (see above) in which chiligotas and other artists vie for awards.
It is the culminating moment of the Cadiz Mardi Gras. Cádiz' food and drink scene consists of soups and confectionery characteristic of Komarka and the town. Cadiz is linked to the EU road network via Spain (E5), which links it to Seville, Cordoba and Madrid in the north and Algeciras in the south-east. The E15 runs north along the Atlantic coastline.
Madrid-Seville high-speed line was completed in 2015 after 14 years of operation, extending Alvia's high-speed train service to the town. Cadiz has entered into a partnership with him: Cadiz. "In Cadiz a 3000 year old brick walls found". Cadiz: "Europe's oldest town is found - Europe, World - The Independents".
"Cádiz." Dates provided by the Municipality of Cadiz Archived on November 16, 2012 at the Wayback Machine. A. B. Freijeiro, R. Corzo Sánchez, The new anthropoid sarcophagus of Cadiz. Scared, A.T. "The Tower of Cádiz". "and the resurgence of the Spanish navy in the sixteenth century." Turismo - Ayuntamiento de Cádiz Monastery and Church of San Francisco. turismo.cadiz.es.
Schedule your visit to Cádiz. Conference Center. Palaciocongresos-Cádiz.com. Cadiz Tourism in the City Centre. www.whatcadiz.com. Cadiz Spain: Beautiful beach town on the Spanish coast". www.southern-spain-travel.com. Cadiz-Merry, check rates, schedule and ticket booking". www.directferries.co.uk. Port of Cadiz Bay. www.puertocadiz.com. "Cadiz."
Commons Wikimedia has related news related to Cádiz.