Burma News 20162016 Burma News
Burma says nine policemen were murdered by rebels on the Bangladesh frontier | World News
Burma said at least nine policemen were murdered and four injured on Sunday in several attacks on guards along the problematic Bangladeshi-Bandeline. At a news briefing, Zaw Win, the head of the country's armed forces, said that eight assailants who were only identifiable as "insurgent terrorists" but considered by civil servants to be a Moslem group were murdered and two were taken prisoner vividly in the early morning of Sunday's fighting in Rakhine state.
In Rakhine live about 1.1 million members of the mostly Muslim Rohingya Ethnie, who are mostly refused nationality and who are confronted with strong limitations of their movement. Some 125,000 refugees, most of them Rohingya, have been internally displaced since 2012, when the inter-municipal force in Rakhine cost the lives of more than 100 of them.
One civil servant explained to Reuters that he thought the aggressors were part of the Islamic group on Sunday. Assaults began at 1:30 a.m. on Sunday, when about 90 aggressors raided a law enforcement agency in the Kyiganbyin town of Maungdaw Township, Zaw Win said to reports in the capitol Naypyitaw. He said the aggressors murdered six policemen, injured two more and confiscated 51 guns and more than 10,000 shots of ammo on the first one.
Zaw Win said that in a concurrent assault on a frontier guard post in Kyeedangauk town in Rathidaung municipality, one policeman was also murdered and two others injured. There was a third event in the Buthidaung community at 4:30 a.m., with two more policemen dying and one reported to have gone unaccounted for, he said, and added that seven suspected assailants had been fatal.
Not that Zaw Win was speculating about the possible identities of the assailants. However, a high-ranking Rakhine state civil servant, who asked not to be mentioned, said he thought they were "Bengali", a phrase used by many in Myanmar to reference the Rohingya, who indicates that they come from Bangladesh. Prosecutor said he was basing his judgment on photos claimed to be from captured assailants - whom Reuters has seen but could not check - that seemed to show two men of southern-Asians lineage detained with straps.
On Sunday the government ordered a ban from 7 p.m. to 6 a.m. and banned meetings of five or more persons in the township of Maungdaw. This is the deadliest attack in the state of Rakhine since 2012, but a flood of minor assaults on the frontier patrol took place in 2014.