Best places to Visit in YangonYangon's best excursion destinations
Yangon Day Trips
Bago. According to legends, a kingly town was established here in 573, when two mon princes saw a good sign, a feminine "hamsa" (a legendary bird) that stood on the back of a masculine hemsah. Hanthawady (Kingdom of Hamsa), the town they established, became one of the most important in Myanmar's historical development.
Hanthawady's Golden Period began around 1287, when Bagan passed to the troops of Kublai Khan and the Mon King Warau relocated the capitol of his kingdom Ramandesa here. In 1539 the Taungoo king Tabinshwehti conquered the town, changing its name to Pegu, but the town flourished further as a riverbank town.
In 1757, Bamar King Alaungpaya ruined the village and as Yangon gained in importance, the village never really rested. As the Bago River altered its course in the nineteenth century and closed the harbour, the river shrank to its present state as a province seat. Shwemawda, the highest of the pagodas in the word, is 376 ft. high; 46 ft. higher than Shwedagon in Yangon.
It is said to contain two hair and two Buddha's sutures and has been damaged and reconstructed severalimaginally. There is a Buddha picture gallery on the site, which was excavated from the ruins of the Buddha after the last 1930 quake. The Hintha Gon Wooden Band.
Since this is the highest point in Bago, it is said to be the place where the good ovation of a woman hamsas was sighted on the back of her companion. From Shvedawdaw the mound is covered with a sculpture of a birdwatch and one has a good view over the city.
It is a sideboard created by U Khanti, the monks of Mandalay Hill. This is Kyaik Pun Wooden Table. These four giant Buddha pictures that sit back to back around a quadratic pole were made in 1476 by Mon Dhammazedi. This 55-meter long, 16-meter high picture (a shield shows the dimensions of all parts of the body) originates from the rule of Mon Kings Mingadepa II in the latter 10%.
The picture was restored by King Bayintnaung in the sixteenth centuary, but it was abandoned to the invading wood after the Pegu demolition in 1757. The Mahazedi Cavalcade. Built in 1560 by King Bayinnaung, this extraordinary and pretty marble tower was damaged during the 1757 Pegu incursion and leveled off by the 1930 quake.
It was the king who constructed the pit to accommodate a Buddha teeth, then considered the Kandy cog. After the conquest of Pegu, the teeth were taken out and are now in the Kaunghmudaw pit, Sagaing. From the top deck of the cloakroom you have a wonderful view of Bago, which can be reached via stairs on the outside of the cloakroom.
It is a reconstructed version of the sixteenth-century building of King Bayinnaung, who founded the Second Myanmar Empire. Initially, the quadratic masonry town surrounding this Mon building had 20 doors, five on each side and a ditch with alligators. This" Holy Hall of Consecration" was initially erected by King Dhammazedi in 1476, but has been repeatedly damaged and reconstructed over the years.
It was constructed in 2000 by a lady who gave $100,000 for the work. You can make brief stopovers on the way to or from Bago at Shwenyaungbin Nat (Spirit) and Karzine where the locals are selling folk medicines with surviving Scorpio.
You can also get a guide to tell the stories of this old village and its place in Myanmar's past. Bago is the first stop on the way to Taungoo, Kalaw and Mandalay. For those who want to drive around the countryside, we suggest an early departure from Yangon to Bago for a few early mornings.
It is also the first stop on the way to the states of Mon and Kayin and the cities of Mawlamyine (Moulmein), Hpa-An and the Golden Rock, Mt Kyaiktiyo. Here too we suggest an early departure from Yangon so that you can explore the old town. The Taukkyan War Cemetery along the Bago Strait pays tribute to the memories of 6,374 Alliance troops who perished in Burma and Assam during the Second World War.
Across the Bago River, over the almost 2 km long Thanlyin Bridge, this is the first large rural city outside Yangon. His city flourished further, but as the principal harbour of the Gulf of Mottama, the center of international commerce for all of Lower Myanmar.
Alaungpaya, King of Bamar, ruined the village in 1756 during his capture of the Mon and the up-and-coming Yangon became the main harbour in its place. Today, Thanlyin is used as the entrance to arable land eastward of the Yangon River. A few century-old ramparts and an old residential chapel from 1750 have been preserved, but today the centre of the village is the bustling market square.
Southwards of the city on the characteristic Kyauktan highway there is the Kyaik-khauk pit, an important pit stop and home of the largest land 'pwe' (festival) near Yangon. It is said to contain 2 Buddha Hair and was built about 800 years ago by the Kingdom of Mon.
This city is best known for the Yele Puagoda, whose crystal motifs blink in the sunshine and which occupies an entire central isle of the Yangon at a rapidly running canyon. Here you can make some Buddhistic merits by taking a small ship to the pit and feed the giant puffing pig that gathers at the bottom of the isle.
The Kyauktan itself is a nice and welcoming little village for a stroll and has an interesting fishmarket on the river bank. An entire full afternoon would also allow you to explore National Races Village, an indigenous favorite near the end of the Thanlyin Bridge in Yangon (Thaketa).
Twante, an old seventh-century Dutch village, lies on the picturesque Twante Channel, a British dugout that connects the harbour of Yangon with the Ayeyarwady Delta. Initially, the municipality specialized in the production of seladon goods, although this kind of craft has been abandoned over the years.
Besides the potter's shed in Oh-Bo and the main square, the city is also known for the 250-foot Shwesandaw Pagoda, erected by the Kingdom of Mon over 1,000 years ago. Visiting Twante is all about travel. They cross towns where fishers make a living from catching fish or growing rices, fishers who catch their catch from canoe, merchant vessels and river cruisers that travel from city to city.