Bago Myanmar TourismMyanmar Tourism
Places of interest
Before Bago was known as Pegu. From Yangon, Bago is easy to reach. One of Myanmar's wealthiest archeological places. The town was established around 825 AD by two Mon Brothers, Thamala and Wimala of Thaton, in the thirteenth and eighteenth centuries A.D. The town then on the Gulf of Martaban was already designated by Gautama as the site of a great town - the historical Buddha.
He became the kingdom of Mon and was known as Hansavati (Hanthawaddy). It then became the Second Myanmar Empire, established by King Bayinnaung. Constructed by the Mon in 994, this large Buddha was repeatedly renovated, but was overrun by the jungles after the Burmese destroyed Bago completely in 1757.
Buddha, 55 metres long and 16 metres high, is known in Bago. The giant lying Buddha with a shield on the plate in front of the picture indicating the dimensions of the individual parts of the skull. He is considered one of the most realistic of all lying Buddhas.
Myanmar tribe says that the picture is Buddha in a'relaxing' state. Heigth at the shoulders is 52. A 5-foot (16m). The longitudinal dimensions of the valley are 7.5 ft (2.3 m). A 5-foot (14.5m). The length of the ears is 4.6 meters (15 feet). The length of the brows is 7.5 ft (2.3 m).
The width of the snout is 7.5 ft (2.3 m). The nasal ridge is 2.3 meters (7.5 feet). A 5-foot (7.8m). The length of the palms is 22 ft (6.7 m). The big toes are 6 ft (1.8 m) high. Bago's Shwemawdaw or'Great Golden God Pagoda' has been in production for more than 1000 years.
Behind this imposing entryway, the Shwemawdaw tower was initially constructed in the eighth quarter by the Mon at a depth of 23 metres and raised several heights until it eventually attained its present size of 114 metres in 1954. Initially the marquee was constructed by 2 businessmen.
To accommodate some of Buddha's hairdos. Initially 23 metres high, it has become Burma's highest pagoda over the years. In 1930, the latest earthquake almost levelled the antique structures and only in 1952 did it dominate the Bago ski area again.
Legend has it that the hair and tooths of the Buddha are anchored under the lofty standing tower. The Kyaik Pun is made up of four giant Buddha pictures, all of which face the four directions of the Compass when sitting. Situated only a few hundred metres from the Yangon-Bago highway, this is an extraordinary and imposing panorama view.
The church was erected by King Dhamma Zedi in 1476 AD and is in good condition. The Kyaik Pun is located in the middle of a luxuriant, craggy landscape with a large number of antique remains, many of which are under repaire. They said if one of them got married, one of them would break down.
Bago has many other renowned lagoons, such as the Mahazedi (the Great Stupa) of King Bayinnaung in 1560 A.D. and the Hinthakone lagoon that you should see. It' known that the cloak contains a dental reliquary from Sri Lanka. Hamsavati or Hantha-wadi, under which Bago and her empire were known, developed from this name.
Situated next to the famed Shwe-thar-lyaung Buddhahagram. It' another huge lying picture of Buddhas. Right behind the Shwemawdaw Pagoda. From the top you have a good view of Bago. Kanbavza Thadi the renowned King Bayinnaung Castle (1551-1581 A.D.) is widely dug up and some structures are reconstructed.
Queen Bayinnaung was the founding father of the Second Myanmar Empire, which extended from the Indian border to parts of Thailand and Laos. A. D. 1566 he constructed a new capitol known as Hanthawadi on what is now Bago. Southwards of the Shwe-Maw-Daw Pagoda he erected a large castle, which he dubbed Kanbawza Thadi.
On April 25, 1990, the excavation work began on the grounds of the castle. So far, the archaeological department has dug up six hills revealing the brickwork foundation and pedestals of the old castle. Settaw Saung one of the castle's major rooms was rebuilt and 90 per cent completed.
Conveyed to the Archaeological Department, the Palastanlage is 9,662 acre. Hanthawadi's restored XVI-XI centuries castle and its entire grounds will become a major touristic destination in the near term. It was built in 1494 and reigned by King Byinnya Yan, although it looks quite new.
There is a black Gu (tunnel) with 64 sitting Buddha pictures inside. This is one of the Simas that King Dhammazeddi constructed in the 15th cent. Noteworthy is that it was constructed in the shape of Kalyarni Sima in Sri Lanka and 10 Lithuanian epigraphs of its surroundings tell a detailled traffic of Myanmar and Sri Lanka in matters of religion.