Bagan Temples & PagodasPagodas & Temples Bagan
Temple in Bagan Independent Guide
Bagan's most sacred and important monastery is home to four Buddhas who stand and face the four directions. Named the "Westminster Abbey of Burma", the Ananda Museum is a place of worship. With a mixture of Mon and India architectural style, it was initially constructed in 1105 AD and is one of only four temples preserved in Old Bagan.
In 1975 the sanctuary was severely destroyed by an earth quake, but in 1990 it was gold-plated with the towers to prepare the celebrations for the 1900th jubilee of its construction. Ananda" is derived from "anantapannya", the Pali term for "boundless wisdom". This five-stage lagoon, one of the most loved places to observe the sunrise or sunset, is situated on the edge of Old Bagan and provides great panoramic view over the plains.
Born in 1057 A.D. by King Anawratha, the Hair of Gautama Buddha Bridge is home to the Gautama Shrine. Following the damages caused by the 1975 seismic event, rehabilitation work was carried out. Situated in the town of Nyaung U near the riverside, this breathtaking and photographic gilt golden gilt-edged stone is said to contain a Gautama Buddha's teeth and bones.
The building was begun by King Anawratha in the eleventh century and finished by King Kyansittha in 1102. Around the central part of the building there are many interesting smaller temples and sanctuaries. Bagan's highest sanctuary, 61 meters high, with a ground plane in the form of an asymmetrical crucifix with gilt towers protruding from the corner of the terrace.
Built in the mid-12th century under King Alaungsithu, it comprises two floors with a sitting Buddha on the second floor. This is one of the four temples that survived in Old Bagan and is only a few steps away from Ananda Shrine. Known for its creator, Mon King Manuha, this sanctuary was imprisoned a few miles southern of Bagan near Myinkaba.
There are three Buddhas sitting in uncomfortable, narrow poses, as well as a picture of a Buddha lying down with a smile on his face penetrating into Nirvana, who is said to represent the king's own unease at being imprisoned, and that his only good fortune will come after his deaths.
It is one of the oldest temples in the area, finished in 1067 AD, and although the 1975 quake destroyed the rooftop and the biggest sitting Buddha both have been mended. The Pali epigraphs on the flagstones embedded in the inner wall, which describe the detailed story of the Tempels, say that it was built in 1131 AD by King Alaungsithu in only seven years.
With a sitting Buddha picture in the devotion chamber and surround by delicate stuccoworks. Situated on a giant, three meter high, flintstone pedestal, the sanctuary is near the Ananda Sanctuary in Old Bagan. Bagan's biggest pagoda is situated about one kilometer southern of Ananda near the Shwesandaw pagoda.
Narathu, who came to rule after the death of his fathers and brothers, ruled from 1167 A.D. to 1170 A.D. and was generally atoned. The reason why the main part of the church is walled up is not known, but there is still entrance to the four verandas that house Buddha pictures and to the outside aisle.
It is one of the most frequented temples because of its good state, its height and the staircase that leads to the higher plains and offers a magnificent view over the plains, especially at dawn and dusk. There are four Buddha pictures showing from the four sides on the first floor to the outside, and inside there are some of the most beautiful stuccoes in Bagan.
Narapathi Situ in 1183 and returned to its present state in 1994 A.D. after being damaged by the 1975 quake. This interesting monastery shows a merger between Indian and monistic architectural styles and is situated just to the south of Bagan on the way to the Manuha Monastery.
In 1113 A.D. it was erected by Prince Rajakumar after the decease of his dad King Kyansittha. There are 547 well-preserved 547 well-preserved paintings, approximately forty centimeters large, which tell of Buddha's past life and enclose the church by turning to the clock. One of the four temples left in Old Bagan, this is the second highest edifice in the area, situated on the bank of the Irrawaddy River.
Finished during the rule of King Htilominlo in 1227 AD, the church was fundamentally repaired after the 1975 quake. We can assume that the Bupaya Stupa was originally constructed in the 2. or 3. century AD and remained until the 1975 earth quake, when it crashed into the stream and was devastated.
Today's layout is a completely contemporary copy of the old form, although the new one has been gold-plated, and it is still definitely deserving of a visit, especially because of its close vicinity to the Irrawaddy and its position in Old Bagan at the curve of the stream, where you can feel every wind.